Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2005, 04:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
CostCo ideas.....?

Well all -

Just a thought. They have about a milliion ideas on flat screen TV's at COSTCO, not to mention VCR's and Dvd's that could fulfill the bill. The Question - where now???

Still have the VCR crown that demands access to thier movies but 
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Wierd - Messaage posted before was ready!

Anyway, Back to the point I was trying to make.

VCR's ain't dead. Got plenty of potential. Got VCR movies that are WAY better than the DVD offerings. Kids watch those!. LOVE EM!.

DVD/R's are cool. They do get updates when they come out. As things stand right now, we are in a cultural vanguard. Period.

Kids will watch wahtever they want to watch. period. It is that simple.

The biggest problem that my kids have with the disks is the putting away of thereof. They seem NOT to be able to reinsert the disc to the correct box and then move on to the next item/ issue.

I have issues constantly, with getting the right movie back into the correct box so that there is a correct idenification with every disc and every box that was made to represent it.

Anyway, I am sure that there are numerous resulutions to this problem that I am having. Looking forard to hearing from the idea masters in this area. Thanks in advance for your help!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:55 AM   #23
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Bump!

John,

Was this project ever finished? I'm interested in doing something like this.

Thanks,

Dennis
I had it operating temporarily, but the I traded the trailer and the parts are now languishing in my workshop.

I couldn't get the display that the original guy used, so my display showed a reverse image to the mirrors which was very confusing. Also, glare on the LCD display made it very hard to see a lot of the time.

With the great TTT mirrors, I doubt that I will revisit the idea.

By the way, current build trailers are wired for a (rather costly) rear camera.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Do tell! What wiring are they using, and where does it terminate on each end?
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Do tell! What wiring are they using, and where does it terminate on each end?
The system uses regular copper wiring from the rear of the trailer to the hitch area and the user must supply a connector and copper wire to the cab. Supposedly, the dealers know where the wiring is located in the trailer. There is a translator box at each end of the copper and the copper carries 12v to the camera. The system is not cheap!

I noticed that I have a pair of very long copper wires under the bed of my new trailer that are not connected to anything, just laying loose. I suspect that this may be the aft end of the camera wiring. I haven't had time to look at the wiring diagrams which are in my trailer at the dealer at the moment to check on the color code of the wires and see if they are shown on the diagrams.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
2005 wiring

There was a reference to existing wiring for a rear camera in my 2005 manual. I could be wrong but if I recall, it gave an internet address to a company other than Airstream. There is also a reference to it on the 2006 Safari Special Edition board, where someone wrote that there is a bridge wire in the top rear clearance lights to connect a rear camera, and that the dealer would be advised where to drill to access the wire. I am not at home now. When I get home I will try to follow up on the link to the company. Hey, if someone has to DRILL A HOLE in my new Bambi, I will be running my own wire underneath the trailer.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
At the International A/S told us that the preinstalled wire for the rear view camera was located near the rear top running lights. The dealer is encourage to call the factory and would be given the exact measurements for drilling the access hole for the wire connection. I believe the other end terminates in the wiring harness. As I understand, the wire is the only item A/S has preinstalled. A person would still need to buy the rest of the system, camera, viewer, some type of converter box, etc,etc,etc. Price was not discussed.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Rear View Camera

Or if you really want to go inexpensive: Try an $89, one B&W camera and security monitor with a 900MHz link from Walmart. Use one truck mirror to make a reverse image looking down and out the back window. (I have a center bath and rear bedroom.)

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

I purchased a rear view mirror with the screen built in. The camera mounts on the rear of the vehicle through a hole in the bumper or a mounting plate on the hitch. I like the idea of a second camera on the rear of the trailer and I was wondering if it is a simple as only applying voltage to the one you want to use. I haven't installed it yet but I like the idea of two cameras. I bought it through J.C. Whitney for much less than there internet price. Check thier catalogs and the coupons inside them. Hope this hels somone.
Thanks, Doug

Well, it wouldn't let me post the link but check thier website at www.jcw.com and go to the mirrors section. It is the automan unit with the rear mounted camera. Good luck
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote