Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Talking

Airhead. if you replace your lock with something else I'm sure we can find someone to use your handle. If I end up replacing the whoel thing prehaps you could use my lock. I'm not ready to take the door apart yet.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Over59. I am going to looks for a cylinder first. I'm going to take it to several different locksmiths until I find one.
If it does'nt work out for some reason I will be more than happy to share my parts.

Steve
Old 10-07-2004, 07:17 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Wanted - Door Handle - '59 Tradewind update

Hello everyone,
Haven't posted in a long time but I'm the one that started this tread. I ended up finding some stainless steel rod and after a little work I think I have a pretty good handle. If I ever run across another one that will be great. If I don't I'm got a sturdy locking door handle.

Hopefully my before and after photos will post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1382 copy.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	9010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2245 copy.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	9011  

Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 AM   #84
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulz
Hello everyone,
I ended up finding some stainless steel rod and after a little work I think I have a pretty good handle.
Rod,

That looks so nice I think I might do the same to my unbroken handle.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Great job on the handle! And you kept the original look!

Steve
Old 10-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Thanks, for the kind comments. The handle feels more solid and better. The credit for this work goes to my dad-in-law who is a retired machinist. He cut the rod in half and than with some super dupper metal glue and 4 "short" screws from the backside and a few hours later I had a working handle. I think the other half of the rod is still around if another brave soul would like to try this.

Now I need some help (photos and or specs) on the 4 screws that hold the door latch in. Some PO replaced them and none of them match so I don't know which, if any of the screws are original. Hopefully the holes are not to messed up.

Also any ideas on the door gasket? I don't have one and winter is on the way.

Next task is to get more keys made, 'cause I only got one.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #87
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Rod,

My wife is out of town with the camera, but I can give you dimensions on the screws.

The screws that hold the two plates together are flat head, slotted, 10-32, 0.75 inches threaded length, overall length 0.85"

The screws that hold the latch are oval head, slotted, 8-32, 0.50" overall. They have a short slot cut in the threaded end, whose purpose might be to make it easier to start.

Do you want door gasket for the '59 or the '69?
For the '69, you could try R/R Vintage Airstream door and window rubber, email putzrs@sti.net. They sent me samples but they are not the same as my '59 door seal.
For the '59 you might try JC Whitney. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...X/appId-457548
I have requested a sample but it has not arrived yet. Cost is $8.99 for a 8 ft piece.
It is also available from Inland RV.

Also, on your new key- The original key for my doorlock had a very deep cut that made it weak. When I had new keys made I asked the locksmith to change the tumblers so that the key didn't have as deep a cut. I think the new key is a little stronger and less likely to twist or break off.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Hi Don,
Thanks for the info on the screws. I hope to work on it this weekend.
The door gasket is for the '59.
The deep cut on the key is probably the reason that I only have one key Left.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #89
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Rod,
Great job on the redo of the door handle. Mine isn't broken but i think I'll do this to reinforce it before it does break. Its only a matter of time. Can you give a description of the material you used? Thanks.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #90
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I will let you know if the JC Whitney door gasket is a good replacement. I seem to recall ordering a sample several months ago that never arrived. I ordered again yesterday.

The samples I got from Shirley and Richard Rodrigues at R/R Vintage were very nice; they are the hollow oval style. I would use their gasket except that the door gasket has a stiffener on the back side and I don't think it would lay flat over the rivet tails in the doorway. I may use their gasket for vent openings and access doors, it looks like better stuff than the original flat foam.

Hey, Rod, I looked again at the door handle picture and notice that you have a horizontal pinstripe on your screen door. How can I get that effect on my door?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

rschultz, I just installed my door seal last week. I got mine from Inland Andy. It fits perfectly. The only problem I had was with the 3M Black glue. Its real messy and sticky (WEAR GLOVES). But once its on its on. I'm still trying to get the black stuff off my aluminum. I'll be sealing my inner door next.

Steve
61 Overlander