Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2002, 08:56 AM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Question Saggy Bottom ( rear end )

I have read and heard of the "saggy bottom" problem relative to the rear bath configuration.

I am wondering if there was ever a solution that was implemented by AS.

I have a 71 model with the rear bath but I do not see any "sag" in the rear end. There is a section behind the rear wheels that there is no support frame to the rear of the trailer.

I have read that some owners actually welded in a support that extends from the mid frame to the rear compartment.

I see that the AS utilized the rear bath until the mid eightys.

What year can an owner rely on a rear bath configuration that will not sag. If they exist that is.

Is it inevitable that a rear bath will sag?

Does anybody have some info on this issue?

Smily

smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There was a solution. It was adding a reiforcement to the frame.

Picture of reinforcement.

I think they can be had from Inland???

Quote:
From Andy at Inland

Rear end separation did not happen because of the gray tanks.
Trailers made prior to 1974 had the problem. They did not have gray tanks.

Anything will fail with abuse, so take care of it and maintain it and then you can sleep well knowing the dreaded "rear end droop" issue is not to be worried about.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Pic of unit

I do not see how this device works.

Does it weld on somewhere?

Can it be placed without removing the belly skin?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rear end separation, or sag, is caused by towing with running gear not properly balanced, due to the vibration being amplified because of the long moment arm.
No one ever, has yet to have rear end separation, unless, the trailer has been extensively towed.
A frame kit "DOES NOT CURE" rear end separation, nor will it prevent rear end separation.
Proper running gear balance, is the cure and preventive measure.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:37 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Andy on sag

Andy,
glad to see you onboard with this thread,

Why have I seen so many opinions that the sag is directly related to the rear bath configuration?

Is this bunk?

Is sag pssible on all trailers or just the ones with rear bath?

Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
I believ that the condition you are referring to was for trailer from 72 - 79 (some sites state that it lasted to 81). I know mine was one that had that issue and that during the process of correction - that is how my AS ended up with the 5 foot extension on the rear (see the box at the end of my AS in the profile pic)
Old 10-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rear end separation started about in 1965. Loooong before gray tanks. Center baths are not immune to the separation either, just not as often.
Very few owners will admit to causing the damage themselves, by not having the running gear balanced properly. Therefore, it must be someones fault besides theirs.
This subject has gone on and on for my 37 years and will continue to do so. However, we continue to rebuild them for those that didn't believe, but now do. You can bet that they won't let the separation happen again.
The stories continue and the theories continue, the tales continue, and the blame on someone else continues on and on, BUT, the fact remains, that ANY tire, wheel hub and drum assembly must be in reasonable balance. If not, vibration does occur, and usually with enough vigor, to cause rear end separation, tire failures, fatigue cracks in the frame and shell, broken wires, broken tubing within the Air Conditioner, broken LPG lines, underbellies falling off, short lived shocks, worn out striker plates and striker bolts, worn entrance door hinges, partial ejection of the hinge pins on the two hinged doors, water leaks, shearing of interior and exterior rivets, punching bulkheads up through the ceiling metal, to just name a few.

But, interesting enough, some still won't believe. Wow, what does it take to be convincing????

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-22-2002, 11:16 PM   #8
overlander

i have a couple of questions

i am an owner of a air stream that has been beat on!. I am the third owner.... (i think)....mine suffers from interior wall seperation from the skin.....i havn't noticed any sag.... yet.......

how noticable is the sag?
if you cant see it does it mean it's not there.....(sure)

is there a mesurement you can use to see if your trailer as sagged?......or do you have to take off the bottom skin to inspect the frame for crack's and bends.

if i'm driving down the road with my trailer and I hit a whoopdy-doo will the ass end of my trailer bend and drag on the highway....or fall off?

Is welding on the frame a wise thing to do?........generaly you are not suppost to weld or drill on frames......

does my trailer have a weak frame? is that really why they bend?

my trailer see's gravel roads, no amount of wheel balance will help with washboard/bad roads........I drive slow on gravel roads...even if you go slow you still get alot of vibration. also those of you who have been to alaska know how bad the highways are here........it sounds like my trailer is going to bend if it hasn't all ready. that is wonderful!

in my case i dont feal balancing would help. i hope the cure isn't......."don't tow it anywhere"

i am getting more and more proud of my trailer every day!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:53 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Rear Sag

I have a 79 31 foot Soveriegn. We discovered the sag when we were patching the rear underbelly. We could see where the frame was bent. I took the trailer to Can Am RV in London Ontario where they repaired it and relieved me of around $1700.00 CDN.
They found a few of the outriggers from the frame that the body is fastened to were rusted out causing undo stress on the rear of the frame.

When you put a jack under the frame behind the wheels, the frame will move and the body doesn't, it has the disease.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
No comment necessary, by choice! I don't have time to argue, with anyone.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 09:39 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Rear Sag

Andy:

I'm just stating what happened in my case. I am taking your advice and having the running gear balanced. My trailer is sitting way up north in Thompson Manitoba. I only hope I can find someone up there to do the job next summer.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hi Gordon. Your Airstream will be ever so thankful, when you have it's running gear properly balanced.
I predicted that there are still those that "don't believe." That's fine with us, as it's their money and equipment that suffers, not ours.
Laws of physics don't apply to some non-believers, or so it seems.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 11:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
saggy bottom blues

So Andy, in order to prevent the saggy bottom blues how often should one "balance the running gear"? I realize it depends upon the surfaces over which one pulls the trailer and probably also there is a mileage component in this equation. My 75 sovereign, I believe, sat most of its life before I obtained it. Before I pulled it home, about 1000 miles, I had the tires replaced, balanced, and wheel bearings and brakes checked. I do intend now to tow this beast from place to place. So within how many miles should I do what? Thanks for your unparalleled expertise!
Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Electric brakes and the wheel bearings should be serviced every 10,000 miles, or once a year. That is called a "major brake." At that time, the wheel balancing issue can also be addressed. Usually a good wheel balancing job will last 10,000 miles.
A "bubble" balancing job is not a "good" method of balancing, as it normally will last 2-3000 miles. But more importantly, you cannot balance a tire, wheel, hub and drum with a "bubble" balancer.
You can see one type of balancing on our web site, inlandrv.com, that will last 10,000 miles or more, if the tires have not been scuffed.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Old 10-23-2002, 02:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you Andy. I'll add that to my ever growing list of things that keep me off the streets and out of trouble!
Brouck
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 05:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
My opinion is that the rear ends (shell) have sagged and seperated themselves from the chassis over time due to the extra weight in the bath area.
Can it be caused by wheels or hubs being out of align? Yes , but it is mostly caused by the extra weight on the overhanging rear end. Not sure a balance wheel/hub will stop this from ever happening. Prolong maybe, stop it from happening no.

If you have rear end sag. They take the rear end apart repair the cracked or seperated frame work weld in new support fasten shell back to chassis. Put metal panels back on and send you on your way.

There is alot more to it but thats just a quick break down of the job that is done.

Again this is my opinion and not trying to get in a pissing contest.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #17
overlander

heres somthing

i have seen Centramatic wheel balancers on semi trucks.....you can get them for trailers...they are supost to automaticaly balance everything al the time......wheel, brake drum, rotor and all.........that might be a fix all as far as wheel balancing goes....that sounds better than having to buy special tools or having to go to a shop just to balance your running gear.

balancing the brake drums?....these are trailers not race cars...
Old 10-24-2002, 08:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In the circle of most Airstream owners, an Airstream is not a "TRAILER", it's an AIRSTREAM,which is far removed from just a trailer.
Argue with Wally!!!!

Andy
Old 10-24-2002, 08:39 AM   #19
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Must be cold in AK

It is very chilly in here!

Smily
Old 10-24-2002, 08:49 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
where to get balancing done

OK, Andy. I took seriously your comments about the need to balance everything. I also printed out your pages on assembly balancing, etc. Then I went to the Snap-On tools site to look for the balancing device you pictured in your article. It didn't seem to be in the online catalog, but the devices that were there cost more than my vintage A/S. Wow!!

So how do I go about finding a place to do this work without hauling all the way to California (and thereby further ruining my A/S)?

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote