Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #221
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Patching tires from the inside used to be the preferred method when repairing a nail hole. But the vulcanizing process could take up to 30 minutes per tire. Now there are plugs that are designed to repair radial tires and are self-vulcanizing. That is to say after they heat up from driving, they "melt" into the tire and become one piece. This is again the preferred method because it is much faster to do.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #222
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I plugged tires years ago and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky. Something I had to because I was out in the wilderness and didn't want to have to be without a 5th tire for the truck in case of another flat in a really strange place. Four wheeling leads to punctures from sharp rocks, especially when driving through rivers. I have not seen plug repair kits in a long time, but Bob's mention of self-vulcanizing plugs gives me hope.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #223
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
I plugged tires years ago and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky. Something I had to because I was out in the wilderness and didn't want to have to be without a 5th tire for the truck in case of another flat in a really strange place. Four wheeling leads to punctures from sharp rocks, especially when driving through rivers. I have not seen plug repair kits in a long time, but Bob's mention of self-vulcanizing plugs gives me hope.
This is what they look like, that's sort of what I have been using:
Amazon.com: Slime 2040-A Tire Plug Kit: Automotive

tire plug kit from Northern Tool + Equipment
Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #224
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Question MFG Change?

I was told by a AS owner that Goodyear changed the way Marathon's were being manufactured sometime in 2006.

he was told they started adding an additional membrane to prevent tread separation.

I would like it to be true, but got to wonder.

Anyone hear anything about this?

SRW
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #225
_

. , .
hi srw...

nothing about it on the makers website...

but tirerack has this notation...

On the outside, the Marathon Radial features a rounded profile to enhance ride quality, and a symmetric tread design with a solid center rib to provide constant rubber-to-road contact that delivers dependable highway stability, traction and long lasting wear. Internally, the Marathon Radial features twin steel belts (with selected sizes reinforced with nylon cap plies) that stabilize the tread to increase traction and durability. The Marathon Radial features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride.

the canadian (2005) and chinese (2006+) versions do have a differently sidewall SURFACE rubber and graphics...

but i don't see any mention of a nylon cap in the sidewall wording...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #226
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Failures

Don't buy Fords, they have failures.

Don't buy Chevy's, they have failures.

Don't buy Chryslers, they have failures.

Don't go in the water at the beach, there is sharks waiting for you.

Don't fly in an airplane, they crash.

Don't drive your tow vehicle, accidents happen.

Don't get out of bed, accidents happen in homes.

Don't eat meat, it could be contaminated.

Don't eat chicken, it may have been abused.

Etc, etc, etc.

Goodyear Marathon failures happened a long time ago.

It's over.

Anything made by "man" or "women" can and does fail.

Life is a series of chances.

Spend good money for good stuff, is all that any reasonable person can do, which is a reasonable assurance of quality.

Make sure that company has a decent warranty program.

Carrying on and on about the Goodyear Marathon problem from years ago, is a waste of time and space.

Of course they have failures, and so does every other tire manufacturer.

Gosh, we even buy light bulbs, that burn out. How sad, that we all waste money on a product with a guaranteed failure rate.

Airstream would not continue using any product that had a bad history, unless it was inherent with that part or product, like light bulbs.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #227
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I've had Goodyear Marathons on my boat trailers for years, never had a single problem. That's all I can tell you. Results for others may vary.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #228
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi srw...

nothing about it on the makers website...

but tirerack has this notation...

On the outside, the Marathon Radial features a rounded profile to enhance ride quality, and a symmetric tread design with a solid center rib to provide constant rubber-to-road contact that delivers dependable highway stability, traction and long lasting wear. Internally, the Marathon Radial features twin steel belts (with selected sizes reinforced with nylon cap plies) that stabilize the tread to increase traction and durability. The Marathon Radial features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride.

the canadian (2005) and chinese (2006+) versions do have a differently sidewall SURFACE rubber and graphics...

but i don't see any mention of a nylon cap in the sidewall wording...

cheers
2air'
Hello 2Air:

I looked at the Goodyear info on their website and like you did not read anything about a mfg change to reduce tread separation.

Nonetheless, I have not read posting regards to Marathons failures related to tires made after 2006.

I will be at the AS dealer near Fort Worth to have disc breaks installed in place of the drums anext week. and will not replace my less than 1 year old Marathons with Michelins - at this time.

SRW
Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #229
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Hello,

I had the Goodyear Dealer tell me the same thing. The were putting nylon caps on the tires now...

Yet, when I asked him to show me the documentation... He could not find it. He spent about 20 minutes looking for it...

There may be a change but until I see some written documentation supporting it from Goodyear.. Well I will continue to run Maxxis.

jd
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #230
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Another Marathon blew on the way to the FCU rally in Cottonwood in February, taking out part of the wheel well. The inside of the carcass was dust and fragments of .....something. I wrote to one of those class action lawyer websites citing my experience, the experience of my son--4 blown Marathons, 3 on one trip--this thread as well as other RV websites. 'Cuz folks, this is not just happening with Airstreams. Sadly, the only way corporations are held accountable for their negligence is when somebody sues the crap out of them and they are forced to be more responsible.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #231
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not Marathons, but ...

A friend phoned me yesterday saying that he has lost 2 E-rated Greenball tires in one day with major damage to his 2005 Limited. he has lost another Greenball a couple of weeks earlier. He didn't know he had lost the tire until his wife commented on a new noise (it was on her side). By that time, he was losing big chunks of rubber and clouds of smoke.

That prompted me to use most of Dubya's upcoming tax rebate for a Pressure-Pro monitor. I ordered it yesterday. I have several big trips coming up, including Bozeman and with all of the tire woes lately, I figure it is time for the monitor. It cost less than the insurance deductible on the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #232
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
Another Marathon blew on the way to the FCU rally in Cottonwood in February, taking out part of the wheel well. The inside of the carcass was dust and fragments of .....something. I wrote to one of those class action lawyer websites citing my experience, the experience of my son--4 blown Marathons, 3 on one trip--this thread as well as other RV websites. 'Cuz folks, this is not just happening with Airstreams. Sadly, the only way corporations are held accountable for their negligence is when somebody sues the crap out of them and they are forced to be more responsible.
Not cool, but I am wondering:

How old was the tire that blew on the way to the FCU rally?

Was it brand new, or was it manufactured prior to 2006>

Also, how many miles were on it?

Same question for the 4 blown earlier - how old and how many miles?

Thanks,

SRW
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #233
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
A friend phoned me yesterday saying that he has lost 2 E-rated Greenball tires in one day with major damage to his 2005 Limited.
Just received an email from him at Jackson Center. Over $5000 damage to his Limited and it is being repaired right now. Jackson Center still recommends Marathons, although another big tire dealer recommended E-rated tires at a higher pressure. They claim that on heavier, multi-axle trailers, the D-rated at 65# tends to roll under instead of simply sliding during hard turns and that is what is causing the delamination. They recommend E-rated at higher pressure which they say will slide rather than roll under.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #234
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
SRW: To answer your questions. The Marathon that blew on the way to the Rally had probably 10-12k miles on it. I suppose truly ancient by Marathon standards. However, the one blown before that--that took out the wheel well on the other side of the trailer and set fire to the plywood subfloor-- had between 1 nd 15k miles on it. My son's Marathons had less than 6k miles. I bought my Marathons in August 2006, the Marathons came on my son's SOB bought summer 2006.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
There goes the myth that the design was fixed in 2006!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #236
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Marathon failures.

I wonder, how many of the Marathon failures were caused by improper or lack of complete running gear balance?

Most people don't realize that lack of proper balancing is the number one cause of tire failures.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #237
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Lombard , Illinois
Hello Andy,

I am very new at all of this, and am not trying to be disrespectful in any way, so please don't take this as any knid of an insult, because I have read a lot of your posts and agree with what you have to say, as well as learned a lot from your comments in previous posts. Having said this, I have read an awful lot of bad things about these tires from threads external to this web site, as well as the posts here.

For my own two cents, I believe that, since there is a re-occuring theme that stains the reputation of these tires, and since I work hard for the money I spend, I would not ever use this brand.

It may very well be a "improper or lack of complete running gear balance", but for some reason, when folks replace these tires, the new tires stop failing.

So I have to conclude that either these tires are:

1. VERY sensitive to "improper or lack of complete running gear balance", where other manufacturer's tires can withstand the "excess" vibration,

or

2. There is actually something wrong with the design of these tires.

Just my 2 cents worth. O.K. flame away!!!

Regards,

I have a picture of my Airstream in my wallet, and I'm sitting on it...

...If that's not love, I don't know what is!
Gael79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #238
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...Most people don't realize that lack of proper balancing is the number one cause of tire failures...
most don't realize this, because it isn't true.

EVERY tire manufacturer, and EVERY trade or safety publication i've read suggests...

UNDER-INFLATION is the primary "#1" cause of tire failures...

goodyear goes so far as to provide this warning....

any tire run 20% underinflated should be treated as a COMPLETE flat...

which means, (ignoring LOAD adjusted inflation)....

a 65 psi tire run 52 psi, or a 50 psi tire run at 40 psi is ESSENTIALLY a flat tire and should be replaced.

i suspect that MANY folks take short trips or tow for a few days doing 'visual inspections' of inflation...

on radial tires, 8-12 psi LESS than ideal is very hard to SEE, and by the time they measure pressures 2 add air...

the tire is damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
There goes the myth that the design was fixed in 2006!
not exactly.

i don't see ANY date info on the tires referenced.

knowing when the trailer was purchased says nothing about the tire date codes...

and the rally tire that was 'truely old' means what?

i looked over the side wall info on my april/2007 made tires...

it reads:

"tread 5 plys 2 polyester cord 2 steel cord 2 nylon cord"

"sidewall 2 plys 2 polyester cord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael79
...So I have to conclude that either these tires are...
while it is a human nature to draw conclusions, doing so without large amounts of solid data is the issue....

there are millions of millions of st trailer tires on the road and only a SMALL fraction are other brands...

so ALMOST NOTHING is known about the issues or failure rates on ANY of the other brands...

and reacting 2 anonymous internet posting is very much like midwesterners who r fearful of getting in the local lake...

because last nights news reported on a shark bite in australia...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #239
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i looked over the side wall info on my april/2007 made tires...

it reads:

"tread 5 plys 2 polyester cord 2 steel cord 2 nylon cord"

"sidewall 2 plys 2 polyester cord"

cheers
2air'
So.....what is it this tells us? Unless I'm mistaken, almost every ST, LT, and Passenger Car tire says "sidewall 2 plys 2 polyester cord"

Perhaps it is better to look at the date code on the tire. Perhaps check the DOT stamp. The last 4 digits should contain the date code, first two digits is week of the year and last two digits the year.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #240
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
So.....what is it this tells us? Unless I'm mistaken, almost every ST, LT, and Passenger Car tire says "sidewall 2 plys 2 polyester cord"
NOT IF THE TIRE ALSO HAS A NYLON CAP....

the point is tires that DO have a nylon cap ALSO include that info, and the newer gyms (that i have) don't mention a cap.

going back to post 225....

srw has suggested that newer gyms have a nylon cap. i don't think that has been confirmed by anyone.

and the reference IS from 2 tires which i've correctly dated (april 2007) 16th week of 2007 and may 2007 (21st week)...

cheers
2air'