Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

1957 Airstream Overlander

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name
Year 1957
Make Airstream
Model Overlander
Length 26
1957 Airstream Overlander
Exterior
1957 Airstream Overlander Exterior 1957 Airstream Overlander Exterior
None yet

Interior
1957 Airstream Overlander Interior 1957 Airstream Overlander Interior 1957 Airstream Overlander Interior
Comments: 1 / Views: 1240
Old 06-26-2016, 06:05 AM   #2

1957 26' Overlander
Brighton , Michigan
We picked-up our 'new' 1957 Overlander two weeks ago. Very excited about being the next caretaker of this unit. It is a time capsule as everything in it is original less the refrigerator, which sadly is missing.
The previous owner went to great lengths to apply some sort of sealer to nearly every seam above the top of the windows, including rivets. In many areas it is 1/8" thick and 1 1/4" wide. Some areas seem to be silicone as it is fairly clear in color but other areas it is very dark with a smell of varnish when I scrape it away. The temp in Mi. today was well over 90 so I was able to get most of it off as the heat was a tremendous help! Once the bulk of it is scraped off I'm left with a very thin tacky residue that is equally hard to remove so I’m asking for guidance. I have three different products and none of them seem to really do the trick and I am unsure if any may damage the skin. I have Goo Gone, Goof Off and another that is supposed to remove expandable foam & silicone caulk. Does anyone have experience with these on aluminum and/or can acetone be used as a product to breakdown the goo? I have images but I'm new and I don't know how to up-load them.
airdream22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags