Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

The Silver Bungalow
2 Rivet Member

Airstream Registry
Airstream Name The Silver Bungalow
Year 1968
Make Airstream
Model Overlander
Length 26
1968 Airstream Overlander
1968 Airstream Overlander
Overview We are currently using our Airstream as an inlaw suite and rent it occassionally on Airbnb in order to make it pay for itself and it's restoration. I would be happy to answer any questions you have if you are interested in doing the same. You can view our listings here:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6030421
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6202475
Comments: 8 / Views: 1915
Old 02-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
1968 Overlander Update and Photos

My wife and I bought our Overlander last April just before the arrival of our first boy. I wanted to update the group and share some photos of the improvements I've made and maintenance we've performed with a lot of input and suggestions from this list. The photos will help tell the story better than a long post so here is a bulleted list. In general, I am doing my best to not put any more holes in cabinets, trailer etc and being careful to preserve original elements, even if I am removing them. I see myself as a steward of this trailer and want it to be preserved beyond my ownership...though we have no intention of selling. For the moment the Airstream is our extra bedroom or "In-law Suite" and we make it pay for itself by renting on Airbnb. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6030421
  • Replaced uncomfortable/poorly functioning gaucho with an Ikea Lugnvik Sofa Bed: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90214134/
  • Just last night installed 5 mini blinds using a variation the method outlined in this thread except I didn't use any screws and just 3m VHB tape which is amazing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...nt-111812.html
  • Stripped clearcoat using Citra Strip.
  • Sealed leaking mushroom vents with vulkem 116
  • Added new smart TV on articulating arm. Very happy with installation! see photos
  • repaired leaking propane at pilot valve on oven...btw, after seeing yellow gas paste settled with time and gravity at the bottom of threaded connection...will only use yellow teflon tape on gas fitting in future
  • resealed refrigerator vent, spraying out with silver paint this weekend
  • replaced gas regulator which was also leaking, with automatic changeover Cavagna model
  • added under cabinet Ikea LED strip lighting (that I already owned but wasn't using)
  • added (2) Broan 174 electric cadet heaters.

Still have to chase some leaks, especially at rear trunk/bath near dump valve. My intention is to use Git Rot at this location to repair some of the rot once the trunk leak is located and fixted. Window gaskets need replacing all around. Plumbing vent covers ordered and to be installed soon. (part of leak chasing) Would like to figure out air conditioning and/or fantastic fan for this summer.

Attached are a few photos and here is an album with a bunch of photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100560.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	256851   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100574.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	256852  

Name:	P1100570.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	256853   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100551.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	256854  

AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Looks very cozy. And it's helping pay for itself.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hello again,

I'm wondering if you were able to adapt, psychically or mentally, to the plastic covered cardboard accordion thing that is riveted velcro'd and snapped into a shower enclosure that is unique to the '67/'68 bath?
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Hello again,

I'm wondering if you were able to adapt, psychically or mentally, to the plastic covered cardboard accordion thing that is riveted velcro'd and snapped into a shower enclosure that is unique to the '67/'68 bath?
Ha...no. Doing away with the accordian thing is very high on my list! It is weird and awkward. It recently split too...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Being a “student” of Airstreams for the past decade, I find the '67/68' bath to have excellent proportion, use of space, clarity, function, adequate storage, it's big and bright and easy to clean… It was genius to position the tub toward center so a six-footer like me can stand tall and still have a few fingers of headroom. The toilet attaches to the under-floor black tank in a simple, conventional manner, none of the plumbing is hidden or captured in walls, you can easily reach the supply side of all the fixtures, I'll never understand why Airstream abandoned that design for 1969, there's been nothing like it since...

Then, there's the “shower curtain”. What were they thinking?? It may be the most bizarre, scabbed on, dysfunctional, annoying piece of junk in Airstream's history. Who could even think it up??. When I discovered that disgusting, mold/bacteria haven atrocity, I immediately drilled it off the buklhead and tossed it out the door.

I haven't finished my “solve“, as we're having a “cold snap” in Michigan, but when it's done I'll start a '67/'68 Bath thread. There's hope, and you don't need to rivet that marginally functional aluminum channel curtain holder to the ceiling like the earlier sixties either!.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I can't wait for this update. Wonder what your approach will be with shower. I don't think I can wait till spring in Michigan to solve my shower issue. When is that anyway, July
Old 02-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
Yesterday started at -1F, this morning began at 25F. The uninvited Polar Vortex has taken its hint to leave, so I'll get some further along pictures soon.

In the meantime, here's some of the parts I'm using. A 60 degree boatrail mount fits so perfectly against the end-cap, it's astounding. The other mounts stand off the pocket-door bulkhead, and create a towel bar. Any nautical supply can furnish these fittings.

I could have tried to bend 1" aluminum tube, but I wasn't sure that it wouldn't kink, therefore .049 301 stainless was chosen. The ten foot stick was cut at 44”/76” You might try already polished 316 if you need more shine. The cardboard bend pattern was scribed from the tub. I filled the tube with fine masonry sand and taped wine corks into the ends. Bent easily with a 3/4” conduit bender.

I'm dead certain that this curtain rod will be a success. It may be that the perpendicular support pole is not necessary, but it can also serve as an assist to take off and landing on the can, a safety grab for enter/exiting the tub, and certainly an attraction to Pamela Anderson.

Yes, Spring arrives as late as July sometimes. This year's El Nino should allow me to plant my garden mid-April.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3616.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	257328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3628.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	257329  

Name:	DSC_3629.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	257330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3645.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	257331  

Name:	DSC_3646.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	257334  
Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I like your approach. I did it differently as you can see from my install tonight. On my tablet so I won't get into a long narrative but I am posting one photo here and many more in the shared album here: https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7.I like your approach. I did it differently as you can see from my install tonight. On my tablet so I won't get into a long narrative but I am posting one photo here and many more in the shared album here: https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream