Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Motorhome Topics (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160/)
-   -   Imagine my surprise... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160/imagine-my-surprise-98651.html)

bkahler 11-16-2012 05:47 PM

Imagine my surprise...

1 Attachment(s)
...as I was drilling a hole for a ground screw in one of the 1"x2" cross frame members on our 310 when just as the drill bit broke through water started flowing out :eek:

You can see the hole in the middle of the wet spot in the picture. If I had to guess I would say more than a cup of water poured out before it stopped.

Attachment 172860

In general I can't think of any easy way for water to get into the tube. This is one of the square tubes that are riveted to the truck chassis. The body shell and floor is then set on top of this framework and screwed into place. When I get time tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get a better idea of where the water might have gotten into the tube. I'm hoping it is an isolated problem and not indicative of a much larger one.

Needless to say this surprise did NOT make me happy :angry:

Brad

92landyacht 11-16-2012 09:13 PM

Not good! I'd drain as much of the remaining water that must be below the drill hole too. There must be a roof leak somewere above that frame member. Good luck finding it.

overlander63 11-17-2012 07:21 AM

I once drilled through the bottom of a holding tank the trailer owner had installed under the bed. That was a surprise I don't want again...:sick:

Bigventure 11-17-2012 07:28 AM

Is the skin riveted to that tube on the outside? I bet one or more rivets are leaking though. Or some prior owner used a pop rivet.

BigAl 11-17-2012 07:36 AM

Since it is a steel tube, I assume it is the frame under the floor. Nowadays all automotive frames have large openings to allow water that "will, not may" get in find a way out again. I would create drain holes.
Al

bkahler 11-19-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 1228519)
I once drilled through the bottom of a holding tank the trailer owner had installed under the bed. That was a surprise I don't want again...:sick:

Hopefully it was a small drill bit :lol:

bkahler 11-19-2012 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture is from a 345. The same tube framework is on our 310. The tube I drilled into is the vertical one in the center. The only place I see for water to enter would be through one of the screw holes, which are on the inside of the motorhome. I'll keep looking to see if I can find an obvious access point.

Attachment 172947

Thanks,

Brad

Robfike 11-21-2012 07:06 PM

Condensation inside the tube perhaps?

bkahler 11-21-2012 07:10 PM

Rob,

I think there was WAY to much water for condensation. Anything is possible I suppose but it sure was a lot of water. Also when I dismantled the 345 and cut those same tubes no water came out.

By the way figure on me being there sometime in the evening of Wednesday December 5th.

Brad

robert claus 11-21-2012 07:45 PM

Factory filled frame tubes

Oh no - that water was factory installed! If the tube was factory filled, then you better refill it. It's probably like the smoke filled wires in British cars. As soon as you see smoke escaping from the wires, you know that they will no longer be able to carry current, and the car stops running.:p

bkahler 11-21-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert claus (Post 1230006)
Oh no - that water was factory installed! If the tube was factory filled, then you better refill it. It's probably like the smoke filled wires in British cars. As soon as you see smoke escaping from the wires, you know that they will no longer be able to carry current, and the car stops running.:p

You know, after seeing all the other odd and crazy things I came across while dismantling a 345 I wouldn't be surprised to find that water was deliberately placed there by the factory :D

overlander63 11-21-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkahler (Post 1229087)
Hopefully it was a small drill bit :lol:

It was an inch and a quarter hole saw...:blink:

bkahler 11-21-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlander63 (Post 1230044)
It was an inch and a quarter hole saw...:blink:

Well, that should teach you to always drill a small pilot hole first :lol:

Brad

overlander63 11-21-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkahler (Post 1230051)
Well, that should teach you to always drill a small pilot hole first :lol:

Brad

Y'all might have learned a few new words if you had been around that day...:yuk: