Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Winterize Shrink Film In Trailer (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/winterize-shrink-film-in-trailer-97957.html)

knunut 10-26-2012 12:21 PM

Winterize Shrink Film In Trailer

Any one use the Home Shrink Film on AS windows ??
Plan on camping alot in cool/cold weather this season. Was @ HD and looked at the window film and i see no reason it would not work. Would have to fudge it around window crank. But for $8 I can pobably do Dinette and Front Window? Instant Thermo Pane widow :huh:

wahoonc 10-26-2012 12:37 PM

It wouldn't hurt to try. But I think you are going to be suffering heat loss from a lot of other places, like the ribs. To the best of my knowledge AS never put any type of thermal break in between the ribs and the skins.

Aaron:cool:

vswingfield 10-26-2012 01:00 PM

I have used it on the screens in my 1967 Trade Wind. It actually worked pretty well.

dwightdi 10-26-2012 01:57 PM

Late model Airstreams

They did use a double sided foam tape between the ribs and the outer aluminum skin on late models. It acts as a little thermal barrier. They also were able to reduce the number of rivets. The inner skin will still be coldest where the ribs are and condensation will start there or on the windows. You need to bring in more dry winter air to keep the the condensation at bay. The film will likely help prevent condensation on the windows.

Bill M. 10-26-2012 02:19 PM

Heat loss is additive. Any thing you can do to reduce part of the heat loss is a help. Window are a pretty large area.

flyfishrra 10-31-2012 09:49 AM

I have been debating on this as well. We are putting in all new window seals currently. Is making a huge difference already! But still thinking about the windows that don't open and choosing some of the 9 that do open to not open and put the film on it. Really might make a difference!

knunut 11-07-2012 05:44 AM

The Install was Easy What a Diff./its Fantastic. It feels Warmer , no Draft by the widow's .

Airtandem 11-07-2012 08:06 AM

Could one use an electrostatic type material to do this, ie. Saran wrap? This way there would not be any tape residue to contend with.

vswingfield 11-07-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airtandem (Post 1225184)
Could one use an electrostatic type material to do this, ie. Saran wrap? This way there would not be any tape residue to contend with.

Boy, Saran Wrap must stick better for you than it does for me!

I almost need tape to hold it around food. It doesn't even stick to itself well, except for making a wad before you can get it around what you wanted.

Yes, I've tried the press-to-seal varieties. It'd never work without being held in place.

Airtandem 11-07-2012 08:37 AM

I forgot; my informed me that she uses Press n seal, not Saran wrap. I'm corrected twice; I guess I had better listen to her!

vswingfield 11-07-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airtandem (Post 1225202)
I forgot; my informed me that she uses Press n seal, not Saran wrap. I'm corrected twice; I guess I had better listen to her!

I do too. I find that it's more translucent than transparent. While the heat shrink gives you a pretty good view, the Press n Seal would be like having a shower curtain over the windows.

If you could get it to stick.

At least it would let light in. :angel:

masseyfarm 11-07-2012 06:42 PM

For the cooler weather on my Clipper I just use 'discarded packaging bubble wrap' installed between the screens and the crank-out windows. It gives some insulation and lots of light and also some privacy after it gets dark.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by vswingfield (Post 1225231)
I do too. I find that it's more translucent than transparent. While the heat shrink gives you a pretty good view, the Press n Seal would be like having a shower curtain over the windows.

If you could get it to stick.

At least it would let light in. :angel: