Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   Pully that 454 (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/pully-that-454-a-97883.html)

choctawmel 10-24-2012 01:06 PM

Pully that 454
 
5 Attachment(s)
I have started my winter project.
Objective: Pull the 454 cid engine and rebuild it into a 496cid with hydraulic roller cam. While I'm in the area: new 140 amp 1 wire alternator, new A/C compressor, hydraulic pump, high volume oil and water pump, new hoses, and many more to be discovered.
Attachment 171248
First a picture as it was
Attachment 171249
down to the cooler draining
Attachment 171250
looks like I need to add more parts to my parts list
Attachment 171252
what a mess!
Got to stop at this point to recover from eye surgery for 2 weeks.

Mike Leary 10-24-2012 01:16 PM

i would assume the new engine has a better manifold design than the 454. Kudos to you! Keep us informed! :clap:

bkahler 10-24-2012 01:16 PM

Great! I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on this thread!

I really like that scoop under your bumper channeling air to the cooler. Great idea.

Thanks!

Brad

perryg114 10-24-2012 01:24 PM

Is the motor already fuel injected? The roller cam is a good idea and is a weak spot on these older push rod V8's. The roller cams are one reason modern engines last so much longer.

Perry

ventport 10-24-2012 03:04 PM

I would NEVER go to a one wire alternator in a motor home. You need the voltage sensing ability of a 3 wire system. A one wire alternator is only good for a tractor with a limited electrical system. Go to this link and read about it before you waste your money on a one wire alternator. Brian

Catalog

choctawmel 10-24-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Leary (Post 1219710)
i would assume the new engine has a better manifold design than the 454. Kudos to you! Keep us informed! :clap:

Already have the 'Banks' system on it. The intake may get changed if it's not aluminum. Do plan to re-use the TBI I have on it.

choctawmel 10-24-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkahler (Post 1219711)
Great! I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on this thread!

I really like that scoop under your bumper channeling air to the cooler. Great idea.

Thanks!

Brad

Looks like the oil cooler is going to be in the way and the scope may get a redo. I have another (trany) cooler behind the right headlight.
after I took the radiator off, I power washed it, the A/C condenser, and the main trany cooler. With all the trash I washed out of the fins no wonder it runs hot.

choctawmel 10-24-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ventport (Post 1219759)
I would NEVER go to a one wire alternator in a motor home. You need the voltage sensing ability of a 3 wire system. A one wire alternator is only good for a tractor with a limited electrical system. Go to this link and read about it before you waste your money on a one wire alternator. Brian

Catalog

Interesting! Never thought about down steam voltage. May be why the warning lights 'low coolant' and 'water in fuel' are on at times now for no reason.
Well re-think that and complete reading the link at a later date.
I need to go put an ice pack on my forehead now. I hate getting cut on!

jm2 10-24-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choctawmel (Post 1219833)

after I took the radiator off, I power washed it, the A/C condenser, and the main trany cooler. With all the trash I washed out of the fins no wonder it runs hot.

what do you like for a cleaning agent on coiled & finned radiators & coolers, etc.?

PeterH-Airstreamer 10-25-2012 04:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by choctawmel (Post 1219833)
Looks like the oil cooler is going to be in the way and the scope may get a redo. I have another (trany) cooler behind the right headlight.
after I took the radiator off, I power washed it, the A/C condenser, and the main trany cooler. With all the trash I washed out of the fins no wonder it runs hot.

My Hi-tech bug collection system for the big trips :D You would be amazed to see what all you catch...

choctawmel 10-25-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryg114 (Post 1219718)
Is the motor already fuel injected? The roller cam is a good idea and is a weak spot on these older push rod V8's. The roller cams are one reason modern engines last so much longer.

Perry

Yep, the motor has been fuel injected since I installed it in 2004. One of the best upgrades I've done. Got 30% better mpg and lot more power. With a hydraulic roller cam the duration of the valves can be longer making for better breather, valve open/close faster and a lots less friction.

choctawmel 10-25-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm2 (Post 1219850)
what do you like for a cleaning agent on coiled & finned radiators & coolers, etc.?

I just used one of those cheat electric power washer. I've tried a cleaner from my local A/C supply store, but wasn't impressed with it on my house A/C units and guess it didn't work very well on the Silver Bullet's radiator either.

bkahler 10-25-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH (Post 1219946)
My Hi-tech bug collection system for the big trips :D You would be amazed to see what all you catch...

I doubt I would be surprised at all :)

I drove from Dallas to Little Rock every weekend for 3-1/2 years and the front of my car pretty much stayed bug covered that entire time :sick:.

choctawmel 10-25-2012 01:25 PM

Being my face hurts and I'm not to do anything for the next week I've been shopping for a radiator.
Many one know the GM part number? With the part number I hope to cross it to a aluminum radiator....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.