Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (
-   -   what is this on the hitch (

travel 02-29-2004 09:34 PM

what is this on the hitch
1 Attachment(s)
We recently bought a 76 Sovereign 31 ft which needs a bit of work. We have found answers to many of our questions just going through the different areas of the forum.

On our hitch there is a round thing with a cover (which is broken). It looks like it is to open or close something, but not sure what. There doesn't seem to be any wires to it. Can anybody tell me what it may be?

I have attached a picture



The inside cover (which I have only 3/4) has the following stamped on the inside. EESE EVELALL ELKHART IND on the top
and on the bottom it has OPEN and CLOSED with arrows

garry 02-29-2004 09:40 PM

Could be the break away switch (saftey device that applies trailer brakes should the A/S come lose from the tow vehicle). They are required by law in almost every state. It works from the trailer 12V and should have two wires going to it
Do a search on break away switch for more info.


john hd 02-29-2004 09:49 PM

it is a level, 2 way. one bubble for side to side. one bubble for front to back.

i think you can still get them if you want another.


overlander64 02-29-2004 10:43 PM

what is this on the hitch
Greetings Loretta!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

I was recently at Ace Fogdall RV having some repairs completed on my Argosy and noted that they had a level similar to the damaged unit on your coach. The only places where I have seen these levels recently has been at Airstream dealerships. While the part was once fairly commonly used within the industry, it seems like it is only stocked in the accessory departments of Airstream dealerships that I have visited recently. You can try checking the catalog at Ace Fogdall RV:

Ace Fogdall RV, Inc. - - on-line Parts and Accessories Catalog

If you don't see the level in the catalog, an E-Mail to Florence and Christy in the parts department will verify its availability and cost.

Good luck with your search!


Silvertwinky 02-29-2004 11:08 PM

From what I see I also agree that it used to be a level. I had one of those on my frame when I first brought it home. If you donít already have a good level Iíd recommend getting one. I purchased a real nice one that attaches to the front on the coach which has a large steel ball in some liquid that indicates the side to side level. It also has another level bubble that will indicate the level from front to back. It works great once it has been installed and calibrated. You can get a good level at most any RV store.

The other part however, if youíre not aware of it would be a clamp for dual sway control and is also used for weight distribution. The weight distribution bars cradle in the lower part of what you see and then the horseshoe part of it to the left will swing in an up-ward position to support the chain links on the weight distribution bars. You probably have another clamp similar on the other side. I mention this because looking at the picture it doesnít appear to have been used at all for a long time due to the surface rust showing on it.

Here is a link on hitches which shows some good pictures!

Welcome to the forums! :)

travel 03-01-2004 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info - if this was a level would it actually have a lever inside which you could move to open & close?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.