Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   Newbie with propane problem (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/newbie-with-propane-problem-95918.html)

Tom Williams 09-01-2012 09:23 AM

Newbie with propane problem

Hello Airstreamers:
I should let you know first that I am new to the RV world and in particular to the Airstream crowd. I just got an 84 Limited 34" and I am unable to get the Frig and Hot Water to fire up.

Both try to auto lite, but both don't seem to be getting propane. The roadside gas appliances work fine.

Frig works on electric.
Both bottles recently filled.

Thanks,
Tom

CanoeStream 09-01-2012 09:47 AM

Hello Tom. Welcome to the forums!

Can you get your stovetop burners to light? Use a match if needed. That's the easiest way to tell if you have propane getting past the regulator -- and regulators can get old. Most of us start the stovetop burners for a moment when we've just refilled our tanks and there is any question of how much propane is in the lines. The stovetop uses plenty of gas and this fills up the lines best.

purman 09-01-2012 09:55 AM

Sometimes there are shutoff Valves in the line before the fridge and hot water tank. There is one before my hot water tank. Follow the lines underneath from the tanks to the fridge and hot water tank to see if there is one.

ebair 09-01-2012 11:11 AM

I think it is likely you have air in the gas lines, when you fill the tanks the air must be purged. Run the stove top for a bit, then you may have to try to start the other appliances several (many) times to purge th air. The fridge uses little gas so it takes several attempts to re light.

Silver Otter 09-01-2012 01:08 PM

Tom,
I had the exact same problem two weeks ago. I could hear the fridge "clicking" trying to start. I had just filled the tanks, so I walked out, disconnected them and reconnected them, flipped the automatic feed level back and forth three times. Went back in a fired up the three stove burners. Once they were going both the fridge and the hot water popped to life. No telling which, if any, of my magical tricks, incantations, Druid dance, or bad words helped.

Tom Williams 09-02-2012 08:01 AM

Newbie still at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanoeStream (Post 1197117)
Hello Tom. Welcome to the forums!

Can you get your stovetop burners to light? Use a match if needed. That's the easiest way to tell if you have propane getting past the regulator -- and regulators can get old. Most of us start the stovetop burners for a moment when we've just refilled our tanks and there is any question of how much propane is in the lines. The stovetop uses plenty of gas and this fills up the lines best.

Thanks for the welcome Bob. I have good gas flow to the Road Side so stove and heat work fine. I replaced the regulator yesterday when I realized the indicator stayed red no matter what I did. It was probably the original from back in 1984, but that still didn't work.

So now I'm thinking of shutting the gas off and opening the line just past where the Road Side lines T-Off, and with the Frig line disconnected at the unit blow some air through from the Frig end.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Williams 09-02-2012 08:04 AM

Thanks Silver Otter
I like the name. Is it on the trailer? I'm thinking of "Grand Torino" what do you think?
Tom

Tom Williams 09-02-2012 08:06 AM

Thanks ebair
Now that I replaced the regulator I let air in all over again so I will take your advice before I make any other attemped fixes.

Tom

clamb 09-02-2012 08:25 AM

Check any orifices for spiderweb. That's what I finally found when my water heater wasn't getting gas.

Tom Williams 09-02-2012 06:05 PM

Looking for spiderwebs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clamb (Post 1197487)
Check any orifices for spiderweb. That's what I finally found when my water heater wasn't getting gas.

Thanks. I am thinking that something like a spider web might be causing the problem. I have vac'ed out both HW Heater and Frig external compartments, but still nothing.

Bill M. 09-02-2012 06:18 PM

Spiders usually in the gas pipe past the orfice where the air is mixed in or stop up the orfice. Probably need to clean that area up carefully. Sometimes a rock or something can kink or dent a propane line. Do you have pilot light models or electric ignition? Is the trailer fairly level? Our WH was very tempermental to start. I found that the pop off valve had leaked water long enought to corrode the ground for the ignitor.

Tom Williams 09-05-2012 10:26 AM

Hello Bill:
Both HW & Frig are electric ignition and those are sparking away when attempting to light. I have cleaned up the compartements and checked for spider webs, replaced the regulator, and purged the system by firing the range when whenever I opened the lines (refilling tanks). The trailer is level and I am running out of ideas?
Any other thoughts?
Tom

Silver Otter 09-05-2012 01:15 PM

Tom,
It sounds like you've done all the right things. I don't know much about propane plumbing. I hope someone here will post a way to check if you actually HAVE gas flowing down that side of the AS (without endangering all in the vicinity, of course).

BTW, thanks for liking the name. It was given by our daughter-in-law. I haven't painted it on as Nose Art, but it's a neat idea.

Tom Williams 09-10-2012 07:11 AM

Still no luck

I think Silver Otter might be right at this point. I may have exhausted my ability to diagnose this problem. One final thought however. Why does Airstream have a sticker on my trailer that says do not fill lp bottles more than 80%? If my bottles are overfilled could this be the reason why I cannot lite any propane appliances on the curbside but roadside is fine?
Thanks,
Tom