Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream History (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492/)
-   -   California Airstream factory location? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492/california-airstream-factory-location-95843.html)

ROBERTSUNRUS 08-29-2012 11:45 PM

California Airstream factory location?

:) Hi, where was the California Airstream factory located? I believe that some say it was in Los Angeles and others say it was in Cerritos. My gardener said that he worked at the Airstream factory in Cerritos. I believe that I even heard that Airstream was located in Santa Fe Springs. I saw an Airstream tag that said 12804 E. Firestone Blvd. Norwalk, Ca. This now seems to be an El Monte RV rental storage lot. Did Airstream in California move around to several places or did some of the city limits change?

GinMame 08-30-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1196157)
:) Hi, where was the California Airstream factory located? I believe that some say it was in Los Angeles and others say it was in Cerritos. My gardener said that he worked at the Airstream factory in Cerritos. I believe that I even heard that Airstream was located in Santa Fe Springs. I saw an Airstream tag that said 12804 E. Firestone Blvd. Norwalk, Ca. This now seems to be an El Monte RV rental storage lot. Did Airstream in California move around to several places or did some of the city limits change?

Hi Robert,

I've seen some model plates that list both Cerritos and Santa Fe Springs. It seems that I had an address at one point for the Cerritos factory. I'll see if I can find it. As I recall the Cerritos factors was located near the San Gabriel River (East Side) and just south of I-5 and the building has since been replaced by a modern concrete tilt-up industrial type building.

Cheers,
Rion

slowmover 08-30-2012 05:27 AM

Ask Andy

Inland RV Center, In 08-30-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

All depends on what year your asking about.

The last location was Cerritos. Prior to that it was Santa Fe Springs. They made that move in mid 1968.

Before that, was before my time, so I don't know.

Andy

wkerfoot 08-30-2012 07:24 AM

The answer to your question is both moved and city limits moved.

There were originally two or three locations in Los Angeles (one on Main St) before the move to the Firestone Blvd address (which is now under I5 after an expansion).

Bill

Quote:

moosetags 08-30-2012 08:34 AM

I did a little research in the Los Angeles City Directories and came up with the following:

1956 Directory

Airstream Trailers/ Byam, Wally
1755 North Main Street
Los Angeles, California
Telephone: CA5-4193

Brian

InsideOut 08-30-2012 08:43 AM

CA Airstream Factory Geography Lesson...

Quote:

My husband Rob (b. '55), his mother (b.'30), & grandmother (b. '00) were all born & raised in Downey and recall seeing the Airstream factory and all the shiny trailers lined up in the lot. Cerritos, Norwalk, Santa Fe Springs and Downey are all suburbs of LA....they are known as the four corners.

They all come together within a couple of blocks, so theoretically Wally could have had a warehouse on one side of the street in Santa Fe Springs and on the other side of the street could have been Norwalk or Cerritos. The area where Wally's factories were in the early days is now gone...the Santa Ana Freeway (I-5) now disects that area....it's criss-crossed with RR tracks, on/off ramps, frontage roads & the freeway.

Downey - incorporated in '56
Santa Fe Springs - incorporated in '57
Norwalk - incorporated in '57
Cerritos - incorporated in '59

Prior to the late fifties, this was all county so the lines were even fuzzier.

The address on our original AS Manual is:
12804 E. Firestone Blvd
Santa Fe Springs, CA

Although this address does not exist today, this is where it would be:

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...5&d=1080710372

Shari :flowers:

FreshAir 08-30-2012 10:32 AM

The 'tag' on our '66 says Santa Fe Springs.

Neil

Smartstream 08-30-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1196246)
I did a little research in the Los Angeles City Directories and came up with the following:

1956 Directory

1755 North Main Street
Los Angeles, California

Brian

Interesting, I worked just across the L.A. River at 1630 N Main St. for many years. It was in the 80's and I never saw any Airstreams running around.:sad:

Cheers, Dan

InsideOut 08-30-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1196246)

1956 Directory

1755 North Main Street
Los Angeles, California

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut (Post 1196254)
The address on our original 1964 AS Manual is:
12804 E. Firestone Blvd
Santa Fe Springs, CA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smartstream (Post 1196314)
Interesting, I worked just across the L.A. River at 1630 N Main St. for many years. It was in the 80's and I never saw any Airstreams running around.:sad:

Cheers, Dan

It's my understanding, the last LA plant closed in late '79 or the early 80's...right after the Beatrice years.

Smartstream 08-30-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut (Post 1196318)
It's my understanding, the LA plant closed in late '79 or the early 80's...right after the Beatrice years.

I started there in January 1980 so I must have just missed it. The Winery just down the street was and is still there.:brows:

Cheers, Dan

masseyfarm 08-30-2012 01:41 PM

Looks like the area is still big into RV's. :)

Google Maps

Dave

rogerdodger 08-30-2012 02:06 PM

Airstream was located on Studebaker rd. in Cerritos, near the Artesia Blvd cross street. I lived nearby, and my 1981 Excella II (I used to own) was manufactured there in 1980.:D Studebaker Rd from South street to Artesia Bvd is now Auto dealer row, opposite the 605 freeway from the Los Cerritos Mall.
ROBERTSUNRUS, you must live not too far away.

ROBERTSUNRUS 08-30-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerdodger (Post 1196365)
Airstream was located on Studebaker rd. in Cerritos, near the Artesia Blvd cross street. I lived nearby, and my 1981 Excella II (I used to own) was manufactured there in 1980.:D Studebaker Rd from South street to Artesia Bvd is now Auto dealer row, opposite the 605 freeway from the Los Cerritos Mall.
ROBERTSUNRUS, you must live not too far away.

:) Hi, I live very close to this area. I retired from Cerritos Ford about five years ago. The car dealers stop at Studebaker and 183rd street. [between South street and 183rd on Studebaker Rd.] My drive to work was 2 miles.