Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Dealer lock keeps locking (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/dealer-lock-keeps-locking-92347.html)

xbr443 06-10-2012 08:56 PM

Dealer lock keeps locking

Has anyone else had problems with the dealer lock locking on them? At first we thought our door handle was jammed but it turned out it was the dealer lock. We were able to get in but it's happened twice now. I think we're going to have the lock changed.

thecatsandi 06-10-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbr443 (Post 1159435)
Has anyone else had problems with the dealer lock locking on them? At first we thought our door handle was jammed but it turned out it was the dealer lock. We were able to get in but it's happened twice now. I think we're going to have the lock changed.

That won't fix the problem. Keep a key on you or in your TV. Many of us have had the same problem. You can try a rubber band to keep the locking lever from moving.

xbr443 06-10-2012 10:50 PM

We bought our trailer used, we only have a key for the one lock. We have never locked the top lock but it keeps locking on us. Do most people have keys for both locks? I thought the one lock was used by dealers. Nothing worse than going camping and being unable to get in your trailer.

Thanks

Phoenix 06-10-2012 11:11 PM

Not sure what you mean by "dealer lock". There are two locks; one can be set before the door closes (a night latch), and the other is a dead bolt. You should have gotten two sets of keys, with at least two duplicate keys for each lock.

I would think that an Airstream dealer or a good locksmith could make a key for you. Also, I'd call the original owner who probably has a key that they don't know what it goes to. In addition, I'd search the inside of your Airstream to see if you can find one in a logical place, like where the original owner kept a spare, e.g., in a drawer, in a magnetic box attached to the stove hood, hanging on a hook in the closet or overhead cabinet, etc.; or perhaps a key is hidden outside in the wheel well, battery box, around the spare, in the bumper, attached to the television antenna, etc.

Foiled Again 06-11-2012 12:47 AM

You can order the key from Airstream - just get the lock number off of the face of the lock on your 2004. DO tell them your key is missing, otherwise they will send you an UNCUT one.

The key you're looking for should be small - the original will have a black plastic top - rounded and say "Airstream" on it. The spring is a bit weak and will allow the lock to engage if the door is slammed. Inland Andy uses a rubber band to hold that lock lever in the open posiiton unless you lock it deliberately.

Paula

Wazbro 06-11-2012 08:13 AM

You can also take the door handle apart and remove the locking mechanism.

xbr443 06-11-2012 11:00 AM

Thanks everybody. I appreciate your help.

Susan