Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   All Argosy Trailers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Lexan Window Replacement (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/lexan-window-replacement-91392.html)

Ksweesy 05-20-2012 06:34 PM

Lexan Window Replacement

Hello All

Getting ready to restore a 1974 Argosy 22. We are new to the trailer world and found a lot of information in the forums. Our front & rear center flat windows are missing and one wrap around. Found some post about Lexan but nothing with correct thickness, cutting the wrap around etc.. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

overlander64 05-20-2012 08:04 PM

Lexan Window Replacement

Greetings Ksweesy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksweesy (Post 1149634)
Hello All

Getting ready to restore a 1974 Argosy 22. We are new to the trailer world and found a lot of information in the forums. Our front & rear center flat windows are missing and one wrap around. Found some post about Lexan but nothing with correct thickness, cutting the wrap around etc.. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

The center window is flat, and would likely be about the same cost as Lexan . . . unless you are missing the frame that the glass fits into. The deep wrap wing window is another thing entirely. I don't believe that I have read of anyone using acrylic except as a short-term fix while waiting for a glass wing window to arrive.

You might want to try asking this question in a thread with a name that will register with Forum members who may have done what you are considering. . . . .Lexan for Panoramic Wing Window Replacement?

I know that ithe less severely curved wing windows on the 1970s Airstreams are often replaced with acrylics . . . but they have far less of a bow than the Panoramic windows.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

ccbrand 05-20-2012 08:49 PM

I don't have anything helpful to add, just wanted to say congrats on your Argosy!
Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I've not come across anyone on here replacing the pano with Lexan. The windows available from the manufacturer are smoked glass, not clear, but you probably already know that. Good luck, and I'll be interested to know what you come up with.

Eric H 05-20-2012 08:52 PM

The Spartan trailers use Lexan for their curved windows so I know it's possible, but I have yet to replace my spartan windows. I would think that it would look quiet different than the opposite side. My 1974 Safari has double pane windows, does yours? That might present it's own issues. Have you checked on getting a glass replacement?

dwightdi 05-20-2012 09:02 PM

The flat windows can simply be replaced with double strength plane glass for a low cost. If you want them stronger you can buy tempered glass for a little more money. The really bent pano windows can be made from Lexan Polycarbonate by slump forming. it involves using 1/8 inch PolyCarobonate and dry it by raising the temperature to 200 F for a couple hours to dry it out. Then raise the temperature to 375 degrees F and bending it around a wood form to give it the right shape. Use the exterior grade lexan they use for green houses as it contains a UV resistance additive.

Eric H 05-20-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwightdi (Post 1149703)
The flat windows can simply be replaced with double strength plane glass for a low cost. If you want them stronger you can buy tempered glass for a little more money. The really bent pano windows can be made from Lexan Polycarbonate by slump forming. it involves using 1/8 inch PolyCarobonate and dry it by raising the temperature to 200 F for a couple hours to dry it out. Then raise the temperature to 375 degrees F and bending it around a wood form to give it the right shape. Use the exterior grade lexan they use for green houses as it contains a UV resistance additive.

This is interesting. Does one use a large oven?

ccbrand 05-20-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksweesy (Post 1149634)
Hello All

I found a thread discussing this problem...seems someone did fit Lexan to the panoramic window. Maybe you could send a message, see how he did it?
The thread is here.
edit: ooops, I see someone beat me to it.

Bex 05-20-2012 09:12 PM

Hello there, and welcome!
Our drivers side curved window was replaced by the PO with Lexan or Polycarb, I don't know which. It leaked a little but I scraped out the silicone and replaced with Vulkem and its watertight now. I have read somewhere that they can blow out but I am not aware of that happening, certainly on the 9 hr trip we made getting home, ours was fine. I would suggest cutting a template with poster board or something perhaps a little more rigid. There is info about how to heat form Lexan to create the correct curve but that would be needed only if you go quite thick I would think, If you want the info, PM me your email add and I will send it to you ( or anyone else for that matter). I have bought a sheet of 1/8" Lexan and intend to make a stone guard for the front wrap windows, not yet sure how I am going to achieve it but I will figure it out I guess.

Bex

Ksweesy 05-24-2012 08:50 PM

Thanks to all
PM'd the gentleman in one of the earlier post. He said Lexan worked great for him. He's going to send me some info & pics.. I tried sending him my email but new members aren't allowed to send that.?.?

MgKnox 01-10-2015 10:07 AM

Did you ever get pics of the Lexan window replacement? If so, could you either post them or send them to me? Thanks

Ksweesy 01-18-2015 08:53 AM

No I never received any pics. I didn't ever get my email working. Getting ready to start working on my Argosy again though so I'll be back in the forums again. It got put on the back burner for quiet some time

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

jarjop 04-02-2017 01:09 PM

Lexan Works so far

2 Attachment(s)
I replaced my curved passenger side with Lexan as I am slowly remodeling and so far so good. Not perfect but is a good temporary fix until I can find an original window or hit the lottery and buy 2 new curved tinted windows.

73 Argosy - 24ft

rugjenkins 04-04-2017 09:27 PM

Great job on the windows. It looks perfect. Looks like a permanent fix to me. Did you heat it up to get the curve?

jarjop 04-05-2017 07:51 AM

Hi Matt, thanks.
No, I did not have to heat it. Lexan is really flexible. I even tested the replacement it with a cheaper piece of Plexi (a sheet of Lexan is about 50-75 bucks) and that made the curve too. The Lexan is working well and no leaks so far.

AWCHIEF 04-05-2017 08:00 AM

What the heck, it works for 200 MPH race cars. Should work for a 60 MPH trailer.
Nice clean install.

ALANSD 04-05-2017 08:22 AM

My Overlander came to me with a flat sheet of Plexi in the front window. After 6 years of owning it I am going to replace it with Lexan. Glass may be cheaper but the Lexan won't break. I only had a leak once with the plexi in a very strong rain storm we had to drive through. Lowes carries the Lexan.
I used 3m trim seal to glue in a side window to the aluminum, that stuff works great and is easy to use.

Bob662 04-05-2017 09:38 AM

Lexan source

Besides Lowe's, another great source for Lexan is Aircraft Spruce. They have a wide variety of thicknesses and sizes.

Just be careful cleaning. Both Lexan and Plexi scratch easily.

Lumatic 04-05-2017 10:05 AM

Use UV resistant lean. Otherwise it will yellow after a few years.

BambiTex 04-05-2017 10:30 AM

Me too

1 Attachment(s)
Glass front window on my 67 Overlander shattered during the delivery (while being towed by the PO). Replaced with 1/8" Lexan so no need for a rock guard. Works great.

ALANSD 04-05-2017 11:21 AM

I like that..also your external AC unit.
could you measure the Lexan and let me know the size? My current plexi was badly cut and hard to tell the correct measurements.
Thanks