Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Flat-Front (Cutter, Clipper, XC, XL & Skydeck) Motorhomes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313/)
-   -   Clipper, Kwikee, Land Yacht (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313/clipper-kwikee-land-yacht-91105.html)

masseyfarm 05-13-2012 09:03 PM

Clipper, Kwikee, Land Yacht

4 Attachment(s)
This applies to the Clipper, but other models may have the same step.

I have been having intermittent problems with my step not operating as/when it should. I had purchased a new motor some time ago and decided to install it for this travel season.

Replacing the motor is not a big job with only 3 mounting bolts to undo and the wire harness to be separated.
Gently wiggle and pry the old motor away from the gear face. Clean the gear face and lubricate before installing the new motor.

On the CLIPPER the KWIKEE step is a "series 42" and it takes the standard motor. (series 23 triple step requires the high torque motor)
The motor that fits "series 42" is "Dorman 742-206" for the 95-86 Taurus, Sable, 93-88 Continental. Drivers window lift motor. SKU 1330206-E6DZ5423394A-742-206-TAURUS-2
http://www.dormanproducts.com/catalo...LiftMotors.pdf

Page 5 of 20 shows the picture.

When reinstalling the motor, be sure to use some anti-seize on the threads so that it will be easy to remove the next time.

However, after finishing the installation, I still had the same problem. I tested the old motor and it seemed to be OK when tested with no load. So I had to troubleshoot further to find the problem. I discovered the main 4 position power plug had deteriorated and good contact was not being made.

Rather than replace the plug, I just cut it out and butt connected the wiring and heat shrinked the joints.

Problem solved.

Dave

BarnacleBill 05-14-2012 06:16 AM

Nice work Dave, thanks for the write-up.

raveson 05-14-2012 08:31 AM

I just replaced with the same motor, but all my gearing is enclosed in the housing. Question is why do all the dealers for Kwickee steps tell us there are no replacement motors, you have to buy a complete assembly (only frame and steps can be salvaged) for approximately $360? Not very helpful!

masseyfarm 05-15-2012 05:23 PM

Mud Flaps

2 Attachment(s)
Installed new grooved mud flaps on the front of the Clipper today to try to keep the spray down the side under control. Any improvement will be good. I am always washing the body below the rub rail. This may help control the dirt getting back to the Kwikee step also. While working on the steps, I cleaned a couple handfulls of gravel from the top of the step mount.

Dave

bnsonger47 05-23-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raveson (Post 1146943)
I just replaced with the same motor, but all my gearing is enclosed in the housing. Question is why do all the dealers for Kwickee steps tell us there are no replacement motors, you have to buy a complete assembly (only frame and steps can be salvaged) for approximately $360? Not very helpful!

You have to listen to what they are saying. There are no replacement motors from Kwickee designed for that purpose. There is more money in selling a complete assembly than in selling replacement parts. Also, fewer stock keeping units so it simplifies investing in parts as well as inventory.

DaveFL 05-23-2012 10:51 AM

Technician time to install complete unit probably less than just the motor, when I did the motor it was from China, gears were slightly different than the original, I was able to swap gears and put it back together only using the new motor and old gears. My original problem was cast with ss shaft of motor binding due to corrosion, so if you can keep the weather off yours should last longer, while I had it apart it was apparent motor was made for a dry area, like inside a door with plastic protecting.

345bill 05-23-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveFL (Post 1150877)
while I had it apart it was apparent motor was made for a dry area, like inside a door with plastic protecting.

Yep, My first thought when looking at Dave's pic's in post # 1 was 'that sure looks the same as an electric window motor inside the door of an automobile that I had to change out a while ago'.

mfancher 05-24-2012 11:30 AM

laptop/utility table

thats a fantastic idea, i will implement as soon as i get past this never ending maintenance list...this will be a perpetual project !