Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   The Past, Great Ideas we need back (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/the-past-great-ideas-we-need-back-90326.html)

masseyfarm 04-25-2012 09:57 AM

The Past, Great Ideas we need back

1 Attachment(s)
This might be a fun thread to explore where we've been and why things have changed to what we have today.

I will start this with a well used picture showing the cutting edge equipment and class that I was able to operate early in my days. (That is not me in the picture.)

NOTICE THE WHITE WALL TIRES.

Why do we not have them today??????

Notice the detail to CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ENJOYMENT.

That seems limited also in the present day.

What would you like to see, that worked in the past, but is no longer a part of todays equipment/routine.

Dave

Mike91208 04-25-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1138435)

NOTICE THE WHITE WALL TIRES.

Why do we not have them today??????

Dave

Interesting question! Here's part of what's in Wikipedia:

Early automobile tires were made entirely of natural white rubber. However, the white rubber did not offer sufficient traction and endurance, so carbon black was added to the rubber used for the treads. Using carbon black only in the tread produced tires with inner and outer sidewalls of white rubber. Later, entirely black tires became available, the still extant white sidewalls being covered with a somewhat thin, black colored layer of rubber. Should a black sidewall tire have been severely scuffed against a curb, the underlying white rubber would be revealed; it is in a similar manner that raised white letter (RWL) tires are made.

More here:
Whitewall tire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aage 04-25-2012 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A wired telephone that could be dropped and survive the fall. In fact, more than once. If you have kids, you'll know why.

And I say wired because you know what happens to the wireless ones (I'm talking land lines here) in an electrical outage, right?

ROBERT CROSS 04-25-2012 10:23 AM

Childhood....

1 Attachment(s)
Mattel Fanner 50....

Bob
:flowers:

azflycaster 04-25-2012 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember these guys?

DaveFL 04-25-2012 10:34 AM

Those guys look like the old milkmen! I remember.
Anybody seen an iceman? I remember home delivery of both.

mojo 04-25-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster (Post 1138457)
Remember these guys?

Yeah, and the 25 cent a gallon gas they used to serve!

tpi 04-25-2012 12:16 PM

Vented propane heaters which use no 12 volt power.

BTW I had the Fanner 50 as a kid, and haven't thought of it for at least fifty years till I saw the pic.

Getaways 04-25-2012 01:08 PM

1950s prices for 2012 Airstreams!

masseyfarm 04-25-2012 01:09 PM

Drivers fresh air vent

One thing I can not source today is:

DRIVERS FRESH AIR VENT
which was mounted on the windshield post of these GM Coach's of the 50' and 60's.http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1335369775

It operated much like the adjustable air vents located above you on the airplanes but these were not powered.
It had a rain diverter and a bug screen, so that at highway speed the driver could direct cool fresh air directly to his face. The complete device would be less than 2" diameter.
I found these vents to be great, and would purchase one today for the Clipper if one was availabe.
I can not even find any information on these old vents today.

Dave

DKB_SATX 04-25-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 1138451)
A wired telephone that could be dropped and survive the fall. In fact, more than once. If you have kids, you'll know why.

And I say wired because you know what happens to the wireless ones (I'm talking land lines here) in an electrical outage, right?

Funny that close inspection shows that the phone in your picture isn't the type of phone you're describing. ;) It has pushbuttons including # and *.

dirigible25 04-25-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1138524)
Funny that close inspection shows that the phone in your picture isn't the type of phone you're describing. ;) It has pushbuttons including # and *.

they are so hard to find, an acurate picture isn't even available:lol:

masseyfarm 04-25-2012 01:32 PM

Nothing wrong with your eyesight.:D

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKB_SATX (Post 1138524)

DKB_SATX 04-25-2012 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dirigible25 (Post 1138528)
they are so hard to find, an acurate picture isn't even available:lol:

You just have to know what to call it... since I have one, I knew the make and model to search for. ;) Western Electric model 302: