Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Ribs, Skins & Rivets (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/)
-   -   Dent Roller (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381/dent-roller-87127.html)

Aerowood 01-31-2012 04:01 PM

Dent Roller

For all those people that I told I am going to make a dent roller tool for, well I haven't done it yet. Time is a thing I don't have much of right now, but I found something interesting listed in a catalog at work called a "LT-790 Shape Tip Tool" from Lock Technology, Inc. Its on the last page of their catalog. I did a google search and found it available at several different sites. I don't know what size it is or anything else about it but I thought I would pass the info along.

http://www.ltitools.com/LTwebcatalogview.pdf

doorgunner 01-31-2012 04:22 PM

Thanks;
I've been using different sized dowells for years, and an aluminum rolling pin I got at a garage sale some time ago. This is quick and easy.
BUT , I see this company has a wet sanding block with "direct injection" !! nice for us boat builders. Should I tell Zep about it? or will you ? LOL
thanks again..

Shacksman 01-31-2012 04:32 PM

There's a movie at this site that showes it in use. Click on new products.
LTI Tools

Aerowood 01-31-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doorgunner (Post 1101259)
Thanks;
I've been using different sized dowells for years, and an aluminum rolling pin I got at a garage sale some time ago. This is quick and easy.
BUT , I see this company has a wet sanding block with "direct injection" !! nice for us boat builders. Should I tell Zep about it? or will you ? LOL
thanks again..

I'll let you do it, I didn't even notice it, too bad they don't have one to fit on a DA sander

Keyair 01-31-2012 05:20 PM

5" DA with water injection...
5" Wet Orbital Air Palm Sander

Splitrock 01-31-2012 05:25 PM

This is the one I use. Made for installing "T" edge on couter tops and other things.

http://images.grainger.com/B351_28/i...3GYH4_AS01.JPG

Steel Roller, Size 8 In - Roof Repair Products and Tools - Roofing - 3GYH4 : Grainger Industrial Supply

Aerowood 01-31-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyair (Post 1101276)
5" DA with water injection...
5" Wet Orbital Air Palm Sander

Thanks, How's that Ice maker working?

Steve Bryant 02-19-2012 05:28 PM

I like the looks of this tool. I watched the video too and it's fundamentally the same principle as your roller. Sears has it online for $23.00 Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more. Then I noticed a couple on eBay... one of which was priced at $41.00.

Steve

Zeppelinium 02-19-2012 06:51 PM

IMHO, Kip's is better. I don't like the single axle. When I'm forming the skins for the wing windows, I really have to put a lot of pressure on the sheet to get it to curve. I'm afraid that singles-sided support would either not be strong enough, or would torque your hand and twist.

Zep

ND10CentCan 02-19-2012 08:05 PM

What kind of handle does this use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerowood (Post 1101249)
For all those people that I told I am going to make a dent roller tool for, well I haven't done it yet. Time is a thing I don't have much of right now, but I found something interesting listed in a catalog at work called a "LT-790 Shape Tip Tool" from Lock Technology, Inc. Its on the last page of their catalog. I did a google search and found it available at several different sites. I don't know what size it is or anything else about it but I thought I would pass the info along.

http://www.ltitools.com/LTwebcatalogview.pdf

My eyes brightened when I saw this tool. I think it could help us get some more of the dents on the front of the AS. I can't figure out what kind of handle you have to buy to make it work? Do you know? Thanks.
Sandy

reinergirl 02-19-2012 08:17 PM

Pry bar, And I bet you already have one!:D

Zeppelinium 02-19-2012 11:46 PM

Yeah, I forgot we were talking about two different tools...

Aerowood 02-20-2012 11:21 AM

Well I'm walking around with a shoe on my left foot know, so I am going to get some bids to make my roller soon.

ND10CentCan 02-20-2012 07:53 PM

How does that work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinergirl (Post 1109189)
Pry bar, And I bet you already have one!:D

I do think we have a couple but I am not seeing how a pry bar would attach to that. What am I missing?
Sandy

Lumatic 02-20-2012 07:56 PM

You can get a bed caster at a local hardware and stick a handle in it for a couple of bucks.

reinergirl 02-20-2012 08:08 PM

Sandy,
There's a set screw on the bottom of the tool, loosen, insert pry bar and tighten.

ND10CentCan 02-20-2012 08:37 PM

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reinergirl (Post 1109614)
Sandy,
There's a set screw on the bottom of the tool, loosen, insert pry bar and tighten.

The only pry bars we have are the flat ones. This must be another kind we don't have. Am I getting closer on figuring this out?
Sandy

Foiled Again 02-20-2012 09:25 PM

Think CROW BAR - more hefty shaft.
(no this doesn't belong in the "Sex in an Airstream" thread):p

reinergirl 02-20-2012 09:30 PM

like this Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Can u view the video that Shacksman posted above?

worldinchaos 02-21-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1109605)
You can get a bed caster at a local hardware and stick a handle in it for a couple of bucks.

Unfortunately, tried looking for one over the past 4 months in at least 10-15 different hardware stores. As of yet I have not found a place that actually has metal casters still. The only ones are 1/2" to 3/4" wide. Maybe its a California thing. They probably are "known to cause cancer" and are thus banned with plastic ones in their stead.

Glad to know there is a good place to purchase an alternative for $20. Thanks for posting all the links.