Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1960 - 1964 Globetrotter (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f155/)
-   -   1963 Globetrotter black holding tank ideas? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f155/1963-globetrotter-black-holding-tank-ideas-86211.html)

dgreene72 01-04-2012 09:25 AM

1963 Globetrotter black holding tank ideas?
 
Hi,

This is my first post to the forums, which frankly are an amazing resource.

I have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm working on fixing up. I'm currently replacing the entire floor, when I got it the rear bath had been removed. From what I've read it previously probably had a black tank above the floor. Since I don't have
any of the original bath fixtures I figure I'll be creating a bathroom on my own. I'm trying to figure out the best option in terms of holding tanks. Under the floor, above the floor, extending below the bellypan or not, what size is best, etc. Opinions? I think I'm leaning toward trying to fit a prefabricated one in under the floor somehow.

Thanks in advance.
Darin

Inland RV Center, In 01-04-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgreene72 (Post 1089462)
Hi,

This is my first post to the forums, which frankly are an amazing resource.

I have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm working on fixing up. I'm currently replacing the entire floor, when I got it the rear bath had been removed. From what I've read it previously probably had a black tank above the floor. Since I don't have
any of the original bath fixtures I figure I'll be creating a bathroom on my own. I'm trying to figure out the best option in terms of holding tanks. Under the floor, above the floor, extending below the bellypan or not, what size is best, etc. Opinions? I think I'm leaning toward trying to fit a prefabricated one in under the floor somehow.

Thanks in advance.
Darin

If you decide to add a black tank below the floor, then you can use tanks that are considerably larger that are for the 64 to 67 trailers.

Fiberglass tanks are available that enables you to place the vent and floor flange fittings, wherever you need them to be.

Andy

dgreene72 01-05-2012 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, I found this in another post here and I think I am going to go this route for the black water holding

Holding Tank Bottom Drain HT630BSBD


I'm missing all of the previous bath vents. So I don't know what the original configuration looked like. From what I've seen in other posts it seem like I'd be able to put the bath sink vent and the black holding tank vent in to the vent pipe that is there for the kitchen sink already.

If I added a grey tank, I'd have to figure out where to vent it to. Not sure how tired I'd get of the blue rolling thing

geoff evans 01-31-2012 09:58 PM

don't know if you are still working on this but i have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm rebuilding. The bath was still kind of intact when I picked her up and i have some photos of the before the demo if that would help you. Was yours built in CA. or Ohio? I'll be adding tanks as well as everything else.

mhutchinson 02-18-2012 04:06 AM

1963 Globetrotter
 
Darin, shoot me an message if you'd like some photos of the original bath venting. I'm also working on a '63 globetrotter restoration and have been photographing as I tear down.

Matt

Boneydog1225 08-27-2012 07:05 AM

Rusted galvanized pan under black water tank
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff evans (Post 1101427)
don't know if you are still working on this but i have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm rebuilding. The bath was still kind of intact when I picked her up and i have some photos of the before the demo if that would help you. Was yours built in CA. or Ohio? I'll be adding tanks as well as everything else.

Geoff: I have a 64 Globetrotter (CA made) that has a rusted out pan under the black water tank and inside the belly pan. Any suggestions on how to address the replacement of this pan. The system is functioning well but the rusted out pan allows a lot of dust to get sucked into the rear end when we are on dirt roads. Thanks!

geoff evans 08-28-2012 06:47 PM

I ended up putting in a gray tank from Icon.com. It mounts under the floor in the frame. Had to do some welding. It hangs below the belly pan. When I get back to replacing the belly pan I'll probably install some brackets to help support the tank and then rap it with a new pelly pan cover for the dust factor. I still have the above floor black tank that I will put in when I get back to the bathroom. I got kind of side tracked from the '63 GT and have been working on a '66 overlander. It had the rusted out metal box with styrofoam that supported the tank. Pulled it out and put in an Icon tank. I don't think my '63 had another tank but the above floor black tank.

InsideOut 08-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneydog1225 (Post 1194692)
Geoff: I have a 64 Globetrotter (CA made) that has a rusted out pan under the black water tank and inside the belly pan. Any suggestions on how to address the replacement of this pan.

We replaced the black tank pan in our '64 GT (before we sold it) with a new stainless steel pan. You can see some pics & what we did here. We also repaired the fiberglass tank and toilet while we were at it...it was a dirty job, but one that needed to be done. When we were done, it was better than new!

Shari :flowers:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.