Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Odd New Year arrives (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/odd-new-year-arrives-8577.html)

Janet H 01-01-2004 02:01 PM

Odd New Year arrives

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the new year - it's proving to be interesting. It's snowing in the high dessert (unusual) and my overflow company from sunny California is staying here......

85MH325 01-01-2004 02:29 PM

Warm!

It's 55 degrees in eastern Iowa today as I write this! No snow. Chance of showers tonight. Looking for a high of 55 again tomorrow!

I think I'll be out sunning under the palm trees by the pool...:D

Happy New Year to all!

Roger

aviontt 01-01-2004 03:53 PM

Janet was that the Argosy that was for sale on RV trader ?

john hd 01-01-2004 06:21 PM

merry new years

1 Attachment(s)
had a little bon fire at a buddys place to start the new year.

stayed in the trailer, it was 18 degrees when i fired up the furnace and the heat strip at 3:30 am.

was comfortable in about half an hour!

john

john hd 01-01-2004 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and the smaller auxillary "warming" fire....

john

Firecop 01-01-2004 07:40 PM

John, that's supposed to be Wisconsin, where's the snow? We've had about 2 feet in the past week. Nice fire. Happy New Year to all!!!!!! Nice and Cozy here in Utah.:o

john hd 01-01-2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Firecop
John, that's supposed to be Wisconsin, where's the snow? We've had about 2 feet in the past week. Nice fire. Happy New Year to all!!!!!! Nice and Cozy here in Utah.:o
we melted it all!

john:D

Pick 01-01-2004 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just about all gone, here too. Picture from this morning:

Janet H 01-01-2004 08:46 PM

"Janet was that the Argosy that was for sale on RV trader ?"

Nope - it came from California via Boise ID. The new axle arrived yesterday. We're waiting for civilized weather for the installation.

Stefrobrts 01-01-2004 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We had a little trip to the coast planned, but I think we may have to postpone it a little...

Davydd 01-02-2004 08:56 AM

Working Fire

1 Attachment(s)
We had a fire going this week as well. We took the opportunity to burn downed branches, dead trees, and buckthorn brush.

Davydd 01-02-2004 09:03 AM

What Crazy Minnesotans Do

1 Attachment(s)
This goes on in many places but not many actually poke a hole in the ice and jump in. The American Lung Association sponsors its annual run and New Year dive "On It and In It" at Lake Minnetonka. This is my wife Nancy's second dip to become a "walleye". You start out as a guppie, then minnow and eventually work up to shark.

Stefrobrts 01-02-2004 09:53 AM

I have to ask... Everytime I see pictures of folks doing these 'polar bear' dives I wonder doesn't anyone ever jump in and just have a heart attack? I mean, dang, that looks like a stupid thing to do! ;) But obviously folks do it and survive. I assume you get right out and bundle up to get warmed up again?

overlander63 01-02-2004 10:50 AM

Re: Warm!

Quote:

Originally posted by 85MH325
It's 55 degrees in eastern Iowa today as I write this! No snow. Chance of showers tonight. Looking for a high of 55 again tomorrow!

I think I'll be out sunning under the palm trees by the pool...:D

Happy New Year to all!

Roger

Roger, it was sunny and 79 here today. Holding a place for you by the pool...
Terry

overlander63 01-02-2004 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The view from my back bedroom, 1-2-04:

Janet H 01-02-2004 11:05 AM

Thanks - I needed that! we got 12 inches yesterday with more on the way. Our power was off for 9 hours yesterday. We cooked dinner for a house full of company on the argosy stove - parked out front.

Davydd 01-02-2004 11:18 AM

Brrrr

Stephanie,

The dive in event took place at an events center so people can prepare walk out, jump in and then rush back to dry off. Unfortunately since there is no privacy you do have to keep your wet suit on under your clothes. This event was pretty well organized. The hole was between two piers so traffic was one way and they had helpers to take your robe and give back to you at the other end of the hole. About 400 dippers doated $10 to charity to do this. The temperature this year was 26 deg F. The dip my wife did two years ago was at 8 deg. Some years it can be below zero. Off course the water is at 32 deg. :)

Yes, the sheriff's department was there with two EMT persons standing by.

My sister-in-law (from Midland, MI) and daughter-in-law (Pittsburgh) also dipped in. I'm not so dumb myself. I was the photographer.

overlander63 01-02-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Janet
Thanks - I needed that! we got 12 inches yesterday with more on the way. Our power was off for 9 hours yesterday. We cooked dinner for a house full of company on the argosy stove - parked out front.
Janet, look at the bright side, at least you had the Argosy to use. I am sure some of your neighbors were S.O.L. as far as heating and cooking.
Terry

Stefrobrts 01-02-2004 04:48 PM

Re: Brrrr

Quote:

Originally posted by Davydd
...Yes, the sheriff's department was there with two EMT persons standing by.

My sister-in-law (from Midland, MI) and daughter-in-law (Pittsburgh) also dipped in. I'm not so dumb myself. I was the photographer.

Smart guy! I'm glad it brought in some money for charity, but I think I'd hand over my $10 and just watch!

It's still snowing here, and they're calling for more. My AS is the only thing out there with no snow on it because it has a heater on inside to keep the pipes from freezing. If I'd known what a harsh winter this was going to be, I would have pumped antifreeze through the pipes and forget about it, but up until last week I still had hopes of taking it on some winter trips.

Davydd 01-03-2004 09:48 AM

Clear Day...no Snow Here

It turned cold here but the skies are blue and most of our snow has melted. It is time to take the Christmas lights out of the Airstream and go burn more wood. It's so therapuetic.