Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   New Door (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/new-door-85494.html)

hissilver 12-07-2011 06:38 PM

New Door

I am interested in changing my door (2011 16' Bambi) for one with a window...is it possible and what would be the price of a new door?

BIGED52 12-07-2011 08:33 PM

Well as new as your trailer is I would try your dealer or Airstream Factory to see if a door w/window is available for your trailer. If there is a door with a window the change out should be easy. If door w/window is not available you might be able to have a porthole window installed in your door by the dealer or factory. Ed

Inland RV Center, In 12-07-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hissilver (Post 1080847)
I am interested in changing my door (2011 16' Bambi) for one with a window...is it possible and what would be the price of a new door?

Since you live in Ohio, I would suggest you call the factory, and ask them to make an appointment for you, to have a window installed in your door.

Replacing the door is not necessary.

Andy

dznf0g 12-08-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In (Post 1080918)
Since you live in Ohio, I would suggest you call the factory, and ask them to make an appointment for you, to have a window installed in your door.

Replacing the door is not necessary.

Andy

Andy, Didn't I read you say in another thread that all the doors, today, come off the same jig? If so, I am sure a window addition would be a piece of cake with off the shelf parts.

Inland RV Center, In 12-08-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dznf0g (Post 1080983)
Andy, Didn't I read you say in another thread that all the doors, today, come off the same jig? If so, I am sure a window addition would be a piece of cake with off the shelf parts.

Your correct.

Adding the window is easy, and at a reasonable cost.

Andy

hissilver 12-08-2011 02:18 PM

Thanks for your suggestions...I'll contact the factory and see what they have to say about the install or the trade for another....I just like the idea of having a view out the door before I open it.

TBRich 12-08-2011 07:58 PM

Welcome to the Forums!

Just to point out that the door windows in newer Airstreams (at least all the ones I've seen) is a frosted glass that you cannot see through.. They do not have curtains or blinds either, as that would complicate the screen door operation...so if "getting a view" is your reason...it may not work unless you can get non-standard glass in it.

dznf0g 12-08-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBRich (Post 1081169)
Welcome to the Forums!

Just to point out that the door windows in newer Airstreams (at least all the ones I've seen) is a frosted glass that you cannot see through.. They do not have curtains or blinds either, as that would complicate the screen door operation...so if "getting a view" is your reason...it may not work unless you can get non-standard glass in it.

You can get "non-standard" glass at any glass shop. Just don't tell them it is for a door or you will be into specialty glass. Codes require automotive type safety glass in any "vehicle". Like you're going to be riding there anyway! Be creative in your explanation of you r need.

TBRich 12-09-2011 09:21 PM

That's true...you can get any kind of glass you want...but can you get it in an Airstream window frame, which you would need? I donno.

Foiled Again 12-09-2011 10:44 PM

Let us know if the factory can do clear or smoked glass - I'd like a view out the window too. The 25 FBSE is really deficient in windows on the door side. If you look at the kitchen of the 25 FB you'll see two stacked non-operating windows in the kitchen area - another set like this should work in the door.

Paula