Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   Red! Red! Red! Can Anyone Tell Me What This is About Now? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/red-red-red-can-anyone-tell-me-what-this-is-about-now-84448.html)

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 08:55 AM

Red! Red! Red! Can Anyone Tell Me What This is About Now?

My battery disconnect switch has gone from green (on) to red (store) on its own accord. I did not touch this switch. When I try to move it to "on" or "store" all I hear is a click and the red light remains.

The systems' monitor battery light is still showing green.

The trailer has been plugged into the house's electrical outlet 24/7. My lights, furnace, etc. are still working. I don't know if this is related, but my fantastic fans are not working now too. They whirrr....but the "propeller" won't move.

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on? :huh:

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL194.../399335562.jpg

Colonial Airstream 11-05-2011 09:09 AM

The battery disconnet only displays a red LED never green

Colonial Airstream 11-05-2011 09:12 AM

The fantastic fan speed knob needs to be on 1 2 or 3, turn the switch to fan on, then turn the thermostat dial down to the cooler side. Also make sure the manual lid motor overide know is pushed up.

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatAirstream (Post 1068520)
The battery disconnet only displays a red LED never green

Maybe I'm going nuts, but to my recollection, it's always been green. The only time it was red when it was at the dealership, and the guy pressed it into disconnect mode. When I picked it up, it was green again. :huh:

moosetags 11-05-2011 09:19 AM

I have the very same disconnect switch in my 2005 Safari. It has always glowed red when active and off when in the "store" position. We have had this trailer for six years and have spent over 900 nights in it, and that run/store light has never glowed anything but red. I have never seen it green.

Brian

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeatAirstream (Post 1068522)
The fantastic fan speed knob needs to be on 1 2 or 3, turn the switch to fan on, then turn the thermostat dial down to the cooler side. Also make sure the manual lid motor overide know is pushed up.

Patrick, I got that going. I must have over-looked one procedure. Thanks so much!!!

:flowers:

RamblinManGa 11-05-2011 09:26 AM

Hi from GA. . . thanks, Fly, I'll bet everybody on the forum said Hmmmmm, then ran out and checked the color of the light:blink: !!!! Mine's red too, regards, Craig

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1068529)
I have the very same disconnect switch in my 2005 Safari. It has always glowed red when active and off when in the "store" position. We have had this trailer for six years and have spent over 900 nights in it, and that run/store light has never glowed anything but red. I have never seen it green.

Brian

Brian, now I'm feeling like an idiot; I'm wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

The trailer goes in for final winterization and some warranty work on 21st. I will ask them. For some reason, I remember green.

Sorry for sounding like a nincompoop.

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamblinManGa (Post 1068532)
Hi from GA. . . thanks, Fly, I'll bet everybody on the forum said Hmmmmm, then ran out and checked the color of the light:blink: !!!! Mine's red too, regards, Craig

Craig, lol! Trust one befuddled woman to get everyone excited! :brows:

Sorry, but my trailer still confuses me at times (obviously). Maybe I should sell it and go back to hotel rooms. I'm not safe!

Fly at Night 11-05-2011 09:34 AM

One thing that I have to ask, why have a switch display panel if it is always red?

How do we tell if battery is in "use" or "store" mode then?

CanoeStream 11-05-2011 09:41 AM

The light stays on regardless if the power cord is plugged in.

Unplug the cord and then cycle the switch. You'll see that the light operates only in 'Use' mode. Push the button again, it will go out and then most electrical functions in the trailer will be inoperative. A bit of parasitic battery drain will still occur. The tongue jack & LP detector pull off the battery regardless of the master switch position.

InsideOut 11-05-2011 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fly at Night (Post 1068533)
I'm wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Hmmm...maybe it's time for a little Ishihara Test.

Shari :flowers:

CanoeStream 11-05-2011 09:47 AM

Now Shari, stop that! No dirty pictures, please. I fail about a third of the Ishihara samples -- only a little red-green colorblind.

Gringo 11-05-2011 09:48 AM

Oh, just stand by. From what I've been able to determine, the color of that LED is just the first confusing thing about it. There's more to come. Trust me.

Whether you are plugged into shore power or not also seems to affect whether or not this light ( and I am red/green colorblind, for the record. went thru the whole book, I think I saw one "5" out of it all) will confirm for you that the batteries are disconnected from the circuit. I am thinking of putting a knife switch or a marine rotary switch in the ground connection. So I don't have to wonder whether it's off, anyhow. Can always tell if it's on with a flick of a light switch.