Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Window Gasket types that work (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/window-gasket-types-that-work-84136.html)

perryg114 10-27-2011 08:15 AM

Window Gasket types that work

I was wondering what types of EDPM gaskets will work on the standard pop out windows? I have an 81 Excella II. It looks like it came with two prongs sticking out at an angle type gasket. Mine are flattened and the windows are still hard to close. It looks like folks are going to D shapped gaskets. I am assuming something like 3/8" thick EDPM foam with maybe a 5/8" width or is that too thick for the window to close? Also is adhesive backed ok or does it need to be actually glued to the frame?

Perry

Inland RV Center, In 10-27-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryg114 (Post 1064484)
I was wondering what types of EDPM gaskets will work on the standard pop out windows? I have an 81 Excella II. It looks like it came with two prongs sticking out at an angle type gasket. Mine are flattened and the windows are still hard to close. It looks like folks are going to D shapped gaskets. I am assuming something like 3/8" thick EDPM foam with maybe a 5/8" width or is that too thick for the window to close? Also is adhesive backed ok or does it need to be actually glued to the frame?

Perry

Foam gaskets leak water.

Super weatherstrip adhesive, "must" be used if you want the gasket to stay in place.

Other adhesives do not have the same holding power as that 3M black material does.

The white tape will not hold the gasket in place.

Andy

Belegedhel 10-27-2011 08:30 AM

I just re gasketed all the windows in my '73. The PO had done a partial job, so I had some windows with D gaskets, and some with the original two-pronged stuff you describe. I tried some off-the-shelf D gaskets from Lowe's, which were self adhesive. Didn't work out too well. Adhesive didn't hold up even after only a couple of months. So I ordered enough of the two-pronged stuff (still for sale at Out-of-Doors Mart) and a couple of tubes of 3M gasket adhesive and did all the windows. The two-pronged stuff is more expensive than the D gasket--I think I paid around 77 cents per foot. So far, so good. The adhesive is doing a fine job of keeping the gaskets in place (though it was messy as heck to work with), and the gaskets are keeping out the water.

Darkspeed 10-27-2011 08:34 AM

You want to use the black 3m seal adhesive from the auto store.

I have heard the D works better than the finned seal.

Darkspeed 10-27-2011 08:35 AM

Woo two people beat my while I was typing... Lol

eubank 10-27-2011 08:39 AM

3M weatherstrip adhesive is, as Andy pointed out, the way to go.

Some years ago, it was available only in yellow (earning it the endearing label "monkey snot"), but now it's also available in black, which looks a lot better on semi-visible areas like windows. I use it also to adhere engine gaskets on the MG permanently on one side and use one of the standard silicone-based adhesives to adhere the other side.

:)
Lynn