Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1970-79 Tradewind (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125/)
-   -   City water entry (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f125/city-water-entry-81555.html)

Flynavy 08-21-2011 09:47 PM

City water entry

I have the old factory city water setup. Hose connector is mounted just forward of the waste outlet. Water pipe goes up into an elbow, check valve, then the regulator, then what I guess is a relief valve which dumps overboard.

Being as I'm changing over to Pex, I'm looking for a way to streamline this setup. I've seen the connectors that have the regulator and check valve internal but they all seem to require cutting a hole into the sidewall, which I would like to avoid if I can.

Has any one changed theirs to a simpler setup?

wkerfoot 08-21-2011 09:49 PM

What is complicated about what you have? I have that on our 1979 Safari and would like something similar on the Liner, rather that cutting another hole in the side.

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynavy (Post 1036059)
I have the old factory city water setup. Hose connector is mounted just forward of the waste outlet. Water pipe goes up into an elbow, check valve, then the regulator, then what I guess is a relief valve which dumps overboard.

Being as I'm changing over to Pex, I'm looking for a way to streamline this setup. I've seen the connectors that have the regulator and check valve internal but they all seem to require cutting a hole into the sidewall, which I would like to avoid if I can.

Has any one changed theirs to a simpler setup?

overlander64 08-22-2011 09:07 AM

City water entry

I agree with Bill. Prior to learning the nuances of Airstreams, I allowed myself to get talked into having one of the modern multi-function through-the-wall water supplies installed on my Overlander to replace the original setup. After fifteen years, it is one of the changes that I most regret permitting on my Overlander . . . the part certainly wasn't designed to last more than ten years, and it is almost impossible to get a leak-free connection with the water hose . . . something that was never a problem with the original setup.

My Minuet still has its factory original setup, and it is going to remain that way. The connection point is unobtrusive, but easy enough to access, and I have yet to have significant trouble getting a leak-proof connection with the hose.

Good luck with your re-plumbing!

Kevin

Flynavy 08-22-2011 05:56 PM

Thanks for the help. I will stay with the factory setup. I think I can reuse everything except the regulator. That looks like it may have cracked at one time and someone did a JB Weld job on it. After I get past the relief valve it will be Pex except maybe for the stops. I'm thinking brass for that.

overlander64 08-22-2011 06:03 PM

City water entry

Greetings Flynavy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynavy (Post 1036438)
Thanks for the help. I will stay with the factory setup. I think I can reuse everything except the regulator. That looks like it may have cracked at one time and someone did a JB Weld job on it. After I get past the relief valve it will be Pex except maybe for the stops. I'm thinking brass for that.

The adjustable brass regulators are comparatively easy to find. I found mine at Lowes when I needed a replacement for my spare parts bin on the Minuet.

Good luck with your re-plumb project!

Kevin