Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Window trim for '68 Globetrotter curved window (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164/window-trim-for-68-globetrotter-curved-window-78952.html)

Didgiman 06-25-2011 06:12 AM

Window trim for '68 Globetrotter curved window

Sorry to start a new thread so similar to my last but I am hoping that by putting down the proper date of my trailer I might get more responses. Here is my situation. My side window was cracked in two on a recent outing and I have purchased a new one from inland RV. Inland RV, however, for reasons I can't begin to understand, no longer carries the metal trim that frames the windows of the 1968 Globetrotter. Complicating matters further the new window is thicker so I cant even use the old trim. Vintage trailer supply has the trim in their catalog online, but like many things in their catalog the trim is no longer available (I recently tried to order a new vent stack, oven vent, window and window trim from vintage trailer supply and each item was no longer available. It was explained to me that they remain on the website because the owner hopes to find new manufacturers sometime in the future. Go figure?) Has anyone found a suitable and available replacement for the window trim?

kevinb 06-25-2011 06:32 AM

I have a 68 with 3 broken windows and was planning on getting the trim from vts as well; dissapointed to hear that they do not have it. I'll start the search for a fabricator and if I have any luck I'll let you know. At least the trim can be installed at a later date.
Question does the new glass radius fit the camper exactly?

Kevin

eubank 06-25-2011 06:32 AM

Hi, Brian
I'm having trouble visualizing just what hardware you need for your window! Can you post a picture of what you're looking for?
:)
Lynn

PS: Much of the window hardware is shared on 66, 67, and 68 rigs. We have a 67.

kevinb 06-25-2011 06:37 AM

eubank
the windows on those 3 years are the same however in 68 only the windows had stainless steel trim.

kevin

68 TWind 06-25-2011 06:45 AM

I have had several discussions with VTS about the trim for 68 windows. They are looking into having some made in stainless steel but I have no idea on the time line. I would suggest that you keep checking the web site.

IMO, if you remove the trim from all the windows it looks better than having some with trim and some without.

eubank 06-25-2011 08:25 AM

Ah, yes, now I remember! One of our (non-original) windows had that trim on it. I removed it once we replaced the window with glass. Heaven knows what became of it, though I'll check around in the garage.
:)
Lynn

Inland RV Center, In 06-25-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinb (Post 1009480)
I have a 68 with 3 broken windows and was planning on getting the trim from vts as well; dissapointed to hear that they do not have it. I'll start the search for a fabricator and if I have any luck I'll let you know. At least the trim can be installed at a later date.
Question does the new glass radius fit the camper exactly?

Kevin

Exactly.

Andy

Randy Gates 06-25-2011 09:00 AM

The trim IS available!!!

Hi,
Go to a website called VintageCampers.com run by Dan Piper. I got the trim from him and am close to installing new glass. I got the glass from Inland. It has been years since these were available. Good Luck.
Randy Gates:wally:

Didgiman 06-25-2011 11:11 AM

Bless you Randy! I have spoken to Dan at Vintage Campers and I have ordered the trim! Thank you so much for steering me in the direction of this brand new resource for parts.