Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/)
-   -   What Do You use To Clean Your AS ? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441/what-do-you-use-to-clean-your-as-78434.html)

nm1oqrz 06-11-2011 08:03 AM

What Do You use To Clean Your AS ?

Wondering what product you use to put in the water when you wash your AS. I heard that auto soap is harmfull to the plasticoat.
Do you use hot/warm or cold water and I have not found a brush yet that is soft enough not scratch, have you? Lots of good info here on forum.
Thanks nm1oqrz

tkowalyk 06-11-2011 08:30 AM

i have used auto wash for years and have used a variety of wax products, both liquid and paste with great results.

I just waxed our baby with turtle paste wax and she looks great.

The plasticcoat doesn't show any signs of degradation. I think that regular washing and waxing helps keep the finish in tact (getting off residue...and rain water is a bit acidic).

SoCalStreamr 06-11-2011 09:10 AM

IMO use a non petrolium distillate based soap. I suggest Meguiar's Purple. Its cheap, its readily available at Targets (and Wallmart IIRC) and is kind to waxes and clearcoats and its biodegradeable so suds it up. For your cars painted and coated surface? Meguiars Gold. Its superior to most other "over the counter" products.

ROBERT CROSS 06-11-2011 10:40 AM

:wally: Been using this for quite awhile now, works great on all dirty toy's...

Car Wash - Cleaners - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

tpi 06-11-2011 10:55 AM

I use clear water on mine. I start on the roof with an extension brush then squirt down the sides. Dry it all off with a towel.

I basically spot treat it for grease blobs etc. which doesn't come off with the water. Mostly this is on the front and its never been very extensive.

I apply this detailer a couple times a year when it doesn't bead:
Meguiars Mirror Glaze 135 Synthetic Spray Detailer 128 oz., Meguiars detail spray, spray detailer, Megwires detailer, meguires detail spray

I use Meguairs cleaner/wax on spots which are scuffed.

I occasionally treat the rivet lines, license bracket, and panel edges with ACF 50 to retard corrosion, especially if I'm going to be near the ocean.

Wayward 06-11-2011 11:05 AM

Black and Decker 18v Scrubber

I put high quality car wash (Meguiars) in a hand spray bottle.

Rinse Airstream with water.

Spray a few squirts of carwash on a section and then use this handy gadget which telescopes and head swivels to get the roof area. Rinse. Dry with towel.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...3L._SS400_.jpg

Hard to find them any more (model NPS1018). Sometimes on ebay.

Amazon.com: Black & Decker NPS1018 18-Volt Cordless Electric Power Scrubber with 14-Foot Reach: Patio, Lawn & Garden

moosetags 06-11-2011 11:16 AM

Poor old Lucy gets dish soap and warm water when she's home or whatever the local do-it-yourself car wash has in their sprayer when she's traveling, which is a significant portion of her life (47%). As far as a brush goes, it's the foaming brush at the car wash or an extendable handle brush from Wal-Mart. Other than Lucy's seam corrosion and a few road scars, she looks quite presentable.

Brian

kidsgone 06-11-2011 11:33 AM

Dawn dishsoap...cuts road grease/oil very well and its' also used on animals caught in oil spills...so its safe. We actually use it on all our vehicles!
Andi

ROBERT CROSS 06-11-2011 02:44 PM

I was also told Dawn was a no no....makes sense, if they use it to clean up greasy birds, I'm sure it will remove the labor intensive sealer and wax I just applied....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...-with-182.html

Think about what it will do to all the rivet and seam caulk, it's strong stuff, be careful.

Naper 06-11-2011 03:04 PM

Any brand of dish soap is a no no. It will strip all types of wax and sealer off completely. Best to use automotive type wash products.

SoCalStreamr 06-12-2011 01:44 AM

^this

ROBERTSUNRUS 06-12-2011 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:) Hi, I only use Meguiar's car wash soap, cold water, a hand wash mitt, and an RV wash brush that is very soft. I'm very careful to rinse my trailer off very well before using the brush; The problem isn't the brush, [or mitt] but the dirt you push around with it. My trailer is over six years old and has never been waxed.

ROBERT CROSS 06-12-2011 06:22 AM

Bob,

:rolleyes: Will you please quit it with all that "never been waxed stuff"...

we all know there ain't no birds in California. :cool:

UAPachyderm 06-12-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Bob,

I've never had a wax job either ... I heard it really hurts.

ROBERT CROSS 06-12-2011 06:43 AM

Whats a "bikini line"?

I don't think Cloudsplitter has one....I'll have to go look. :blink:

UAPachyderm 06-12-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
Whats a "bikini line"?

I don't think Cloudsplitter has one....I'll have to go look. :blink:

If you see one, I wouldn't call attention to it ... Cloudsplitter probably doesn't realize it and calling attention to it would only embarrass.

Reganzo 06-12-2011 02:07 PM

I am a big fan of Shackley's Basic H cleaner. I use it for everything, and it does a great job. It is made from plant products, and it goes a long way as it is concentrated.

I add six drops to a gallon of warm water and I can clean the whole trailer plus awnings. I let it work for a minute or two before rinsing and it leaves a clean surface.

Regards,

Reganzo

Gene 06-12-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS (Post 1004364)
Bob,

Every time I polish the trailer I think of Bob Sunrus sitting in his rocker cackling about all of us waxing. Go on Bob, get some of the new products. They last a long time and are much easier to do. You'll be a better man for it.

We use Armor All car wash a couple of times a year. Then we use Griot's Paint Sealant once a year—something Bob Cross turned me on to. It is easy to apply, pretty easy to polish and it lasts at least a year. You can use their Spray On Wax when you wash it during that year or not bother. This stuff is great. Other companies have similar products and I believe they have added polymers to them to make the stuff stay on so long. Once you get a Griot's catalog you will learn about stuff to take off old wax, stuff to seal, more stuff and more stuff which you can buy if you want to go crazy or own a Ferrari. They do sell good stuff—we got a telescoping brush thing (not actually a brush) to wash the whole thing a lot faster. It is much better quality than the stuff you see in stores and costs more, but saves labor and time. A product that lasts a year is cheap compared with waxes that last a month or two.

One question—if you wax, will you wane?

Gene

AirHeadsRus 06-12-2011 04:41 PM

I use an extendable brush and Zip wash & wax. Looks OK and does come clean.

ROBERT CROSS 06-12-2011 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like a true barrister Gene speaks the truth...this thing works great!!!

I found even the softest "brush" will mark the clearcoat.