Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Doors & Locks (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/)
-   -   1988 Excella Inside Door Latch Broke (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453/1988-excella-inside-door-latch-broke-77743.html)

68Glbtrotter 05-24-2011 04:39 PM

1988 Excella Inside Door Latch Broke

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen some older posts on this subject and it seems to be a deadend on replacement parts for this particular latch. Any new suggestions?

68Glbtrotter 06-04-2011 05:54 PM

Additional Pictures and Cast Aluminum Welding/Brazing

2 Attachment(s)
Never posted without a response so I decided to try again and add 2 more pictures and, ask if anyone thinks this can be welded especially since it is a major stress point?
Do you think I can get it "machined" or is there a replacement?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Inland RV Center, In 06-04-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Glbtrotter (Post 1001282)
Never posted without a response so I decided to try again and add 2 more pictures and, ask if anyone thinks this can be welded especially since it is a major stress point?
Do you think I can get it "machined" or is there a replacement?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

That is a GM lock, that was used as a replacement for the Keeler Brass lock.

Those locks were not used until 1978.

Your info says you have a 1968 Airstream.

That year used a Bargman L-100 special lock, that is still available, but in short supply, since Bargman has discontinued all of the locks that they previous has available.

There is no replacement parts for the GM or Keeler Brass locks, as they are both out of business.

Andy

excella99 06-04-2011 08:41 PM

I had the same problem with my old 88 Excella...after purchasing a new lock assembly...I realized that I would have to make adjustments to the outer skin on the door...so I took my entire lock assembly to a machinist...he made a new handle out of special hardened aluminum...he used the center portion of the handle with a c clamp and a set screw...it cost me over $90 but it was the best option ... looked good worked well...I have since discarded my pictures....I had a earlier post last year on this subject...maybe you can locate that post...

Mike Eagle 06-05-2011 02:16 PM

Door Latch Repair

2 Attachment(s)
I had the very same problem on my 88 Excella. The metal cannot be welded. I decided to repair my latch and not go with the total latch replacement. Attached are two photos that explain the repair. Good luck.

68Glbtrotter 06-07-2011 06:35 AM

Great Solution

Thanks so much Mike,
The more I read and researched, I thought this was the direction i was going to take. Glad to see it is a 'proven' solution. I think the machinist is a great idea too, but I just can't fiind one willing to take the project for less than $150.00

Thanks again
Dan

AirHeadsRus 06-07-2011 11:53 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a 1990 that has the same lock. I'm sure it is a matter of time before I will need a fix. I subscribed to this thread so I can find it when it breaks.
regards,
Joe