Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/)
-   -   Buyer Beware, Bad A/C installation (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/buyer-beware-bad-a-c-installation-77581.html)

barender 05-19-2011 05:52 PM

Buyer Beware, Bad A/C installation

4 Attachment(s)
I paid $450 for a slightly used Coleman low profile heater/air conditioning unit. I was very excited and thought I was getting a great deal. I was wrong! The RV Dealership that I purchased the unit from had no idea how to work on an Airstream. I was given the run around for a few weeks, and then this terrible installation job. They actually pried the previous unit's pan off of the roof with a flat head screw driver! I was appalled. I emailed the dealership these images and waited a week for a response. After no return phone call I contacted them myself. They put me on speakerphone and proceeded to explain how I could fix this myself. If you are in the market for something like this, get it all in writing. I was told they would, "repurpose" my pan, what a lie.

PS: If you look closely you can see the wood blocks that they used to stabilize this a/c. Very Professional!

Dwight 05-19-2011 06:29 PM

Which dealer was it?

Dave Park 05-19-2011 07:57 PM

Also, the cover is black which will absorb sunlight and turn it into heat like crazy - drastically cutting the efficiency of this AC unit. In getting your installation fixed, I'd strongly recommend getting the cover sprayed silver to match the Airstream, with the top sprayed white.

I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof ;)

(Hey, don't everyone do this, or too many innocent people will get pulled over! Gah, ruining my own plan for identifiability by telling everyone!)

wahoonc 05-19-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Park (Post 994893)
Also, the cover is black which will absorb sunlight and turn it into heat like crazy - drastically cutting the efficiency of this AC unit. In getting your installation fixed, I'd strongly recommend getting the cover sprayed silver to match the Airstream, with the top sprayed white.

I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof ;)

(Hey, don't everyone do this, or too many innocent people will get pulled over! Gah, ruining my own plan for identifiability by telling everyone!)

I have seen WBCCI numbers in large sizes on the roof before...

I suspect that if you used any large numbers or letters it would make it a bit more visible from the air, which could be a good thing or a bad thing...if you get caught speeding.:brows:

Aaron :cool:

Michigander 05-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Park (Post 994893)
...........I'd also have a big red number painted on the AC, so it is visible from the air and traffic cams, so if your AC is ever stolen, they'll know to look for the trailer with the "73" painted on the roof ;)..........

What?

barender 05-23-2011 11:54 AM

Dwight,

The Dealer was "Clays RV". It rained here this weekend and I noticed a LOT of new water leaks. I am not happy with this at all. I am going to do a little poking around today to see if they are coming for the botched a/c job.

Dave Park,

I appreciate the response, and I do like the idea of painting the until silver and white. I will have to hold off on that project for now though. I've got my hands full already.

barender 05-23-2011 11:55 AM

Does anyone have any ideas for how I could get a drip pan for this coleman unit? I am very unhappy with the look of this and I really do not like the condensation dripping down the side of my camper.