Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Solo Streamers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f508/)
-   -   Hitching up solo how do you do it? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f508/hitching-up-solo-how-do-you-do-it-75643.html)

chiefneon 03-31-2011 10:49 AM

Hitching up solo how do you do it?

Howdy!

I posted here since you hitch up your Airstream solo all the time anyway. I have enough problems hitching the AS up with the help of my LW. What tricks do you use to help you hitch up by yourself.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

au_ee 03-31-2011 10:55 AM

My DW tries to help but I've found the Worldwide Merchandise Company - Wireless Rear View Hitch Camera - Backup Systems - Camping World rear view hitch camera to mitigate many instances of ill feelings:lol:

GeocamperAS 03-31-2011 11:21 AM

I am saving for the camera, but for now, on the cheeper side this is what I use.

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

cloudflyer 03-31-2011 11:25 AM

Carefully! :brows:

driftless 03-31-2011 11:49 AM

I hitch up by myself a lot. Mostly I line the TV up with the trailer using the driver's side mirror. I know how much of the side I should see when it is following me down the road. When I think I'm within a foot, I hop out and check the remaining distance and allignment. If it is only a short distance, I leave the driver's door open and pick a reference point on the ground to measure the distance I have to back up. I can usually get there with only one or two visits to the back of the TV.

Boondocker 03-31-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftless (Post 971964)
I hitch up by myself a lot. Mostly I line the TV up with the trailer using the driver's side mirror. I know how much of the side I should see when it is following me down the road. When I think I'm within a foot, I hop out and check the remaining distance and allignment. If it is only a short distance, I leave the driver's door open and pick a reference point on the ground to measure the distance I have to back up. I can usually get there with only one or two visits to the back of the TV.

That is almost exactly what I do. It is really pretty easy once you do it enough to get a baseline on what things should look like. I would add, whenever in the least bit of doubt, get out and look!

SoCalStreamr 03-31-2011 11:57 AM

x2 thats almost exactly what I do. (It also helps that Im 6' 235lbs and can manhandle the 19' a few inches easily enough to get the alignment juuust right.)

au_ee 03-31-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalStreamr (Post 971966)
x2 thats almost exactly what I do. (It also helps that Im 6' 235lbs and can manhandle the 19' a few inches easily enough to get the alignment juuust right.)

Try that with a 31 Classic:mrgreen:

mhilley 03-31-2011 12:11 PM

I enjoyed the comment someone made about leaving the drivers door open and backing up the last few inches. Once when hitching up there was a tree stump sticking up just enough to catch the bottom of the open door and I whacked the drivers door right off! Neither my A/S or the tree stump (state property!) wasn't damaged! I suspect I will hear about that for the rest of my natural born days! :wally:

Turtle 03-31-2011 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a convex mirror that slips on the tailgate of my truck. The Cipa Fast Hitch Trailer Hookup Mirror. Sold by Amazon and others. Works well for me.

markdoane 03-31-2011 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a small wireless camera and mounted it on a flexible camera stalk with a suction cup base. I stick it to the tailgate pointed straight down at the hitch ball. When unneeded, I just hang it inside the rear window.

The cable is long enough that I can also use it as an auxilary review mirror, or to keep an eye on the grandkids in the rear seat.

Splitrock 03-31-2011 12:37 PM

I back to a wheel chock, same as backing a truck to a dock or a door. My goal is to achieve my goal within 6 tries. Lateral alignment requirement is +/- one inch from center.

rock60 03-31-2011 12:39 PM

if you have a laptop you can buy a cheap web cam and ext cable. mount it anyway on tail gate and see where you are as you back up.

Wayne&Sam 03-31-2011 12:43 PM

I just open the rear door, fold down the seat back and I can see the hitch and the ball.