Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   ScanGauge II (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/scangauge-ii-75331.html)

cutbrain 03-22-2011 09:32 PM

ScanGauge II

anyone put one of these in a 1997 ford 460 powered airstream

Smartstream 03-22-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutbrain (Post 967721)

No but I have one in my smart car. Great little tool to keep an eye on things that you don't have a gauge. I really like the % of engine load and instantanious fuel usage. I'm not sure if your '97 has that info available in it's computer.

Cheers, Dan

masseyfarm 03-22-2011 09:40 PM

ScanGaugeII

Is this what you mean?
Available at Camping World.:o
http://www.scangauge.com/assets/grap...homehdr_2a.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutbrain (Post 967721)

Smartstream 03-22-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 967726)
Is this what you mean?
Available at Camping World.:o
http://www.scangauge.com/assets/grap...homehdr_2a.jpg

That's the one I have. Great little unit for reasonable bucks.

Cheers, Dan

tpi 03-23-2011 12:12 AM

I've had one in my car for a couple years and it works as advertised.

Wayne&Sam 03-23-2011 04:41 AM

Hey Masseyfarm, 7mpg while going 129mph! That's good!

masseyfarm 03-23-2011 08:54 AM

ScanGaugeII

Yes, but the VOLTAGE IS BANG ON! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam (Post 967795)
Hey Masseyfarm, 7mpg while going 129mph! That's good!

SmokelessJoe 03-23-2011 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 125147

Before I left on my current winter tour I had a transmission cooler installed on the Sprinter and the plastic factory turbo resonator replaced with an after-market one machined of aluminum.

I think these were probably wise moves.

The new resonator made a loud chirping noise under heavy load, which led me to Sprinter Forums reading about the advantages of the Scan Gauge II.

I installed it - easily, in only a few minutes - while in New Orleans and have ever since driven the diesel to "percentage of load".

You learn a lot about driving this way. The counter intuitive idea that easing off on the fuel pedal while climbing up-hill often gets better milage with less strain on the motor, for instance.

The device gives a complete read of all motor functions after or during any trip.

I consider it, along with my iPad, one of the best things I've bought for the rig.

The outfit is heavy, over 14,000 pounds in total, and yet I have averaged between 17-18 mpg all this 147 day long trip.

Sergei

Smartstream 03-23-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe (Post 967915)
Attachment 125147

Before I left on my current winter tour I had a transmission cooler installed on the Sprinter and the plastic factory turbo resonator replaced with an after-market one machined of aluminum.

I think these were probably wise moves.

The new resonator made a loud chirping noise under heavy load, which led me to Sprinter Forums reading about the advantages of the Scan Gauge II.

I installed it - easily, in only a few minutes - while in New Orleans and have ever since driven the diesel to "percentage of load".

You learn a lot about driving this way. The counter intuitive idea that easing off on the fuel pedal while climbing up-hill often gets better milage with less strain on the motor, for instance.

The device gives a complete read of all motor functions after or during any trip.

I consider it, along with my iPad, one of the best things I've bought for the rig.

The outfit is heavy, over 14,000 pounds in total, and yet I have averaged between 17-18 mpg all this 147 day long trip.

Sergei

With all the computers controling functions of the engines of today, watching % of load and instantainious mpg helps us learn a little about just what the computers are trying to do. I like it. I just wish my old Isuzu had an OBD port.

Cheers, Dan

gloran 03-30-2011 03:14 PM

The ScanGauge are for 1996 and newer models with plug in ports. Does anyone know if they make anything with similar functions for older models that can be installed?

AirRowan 04-02-2011 08:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have been looking at an Iphone app that gives all the info and lets you clear codes with a wifi OBD-II conector. It only costs $100 not a bad way to check out eng performance on the Duramx since I will have to clear codes daily like ABS and many others that I will not have on the install. I may go with Banks tuning system for better MPG I don't know yet.

Keyair 04-07-2011 10:08 PM

Don't try to spin ya Diesel to 8700 rpm... its gonna be expensive!

DavidsonOverlander 04-15-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe (Post 967915)
Attachment 125147
Sergei

That's pretty impressive fuel mileage. How many miles have you put on your Mini? More or less than the Sprinter? It would be interesting to calculate your average MPG for both vehicles for the whole trip.

I'm looking forward to having a look at the finished rig when you're back in Ontario.