Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Interior Topics (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Fiberglass vs Cotton Insulation (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/fiberglass-vs-cotton-insulation-74713.html)

GeocamperAS 03-05-2011 10:40 PM

Fiberglass vs Cotton Insulation

I would like some input please.

I have seen threads on spray foam, fiberglass, and bubble insulation but not on cotton.
Ultratouch Denim Insulation by Bonded Logic is a recycled blue jean (cotton) insulation. Besides the recycle thing, I like the fact that it contains Boric acid. Mice hate it. And it will not mold. According to what I have read, not harmful. A 2 inch thick batt has a R-8 vs R-6.7 for fiberglass. The cost is a little higher. Cotton about $1 per square foot. Fiberglass about $ .75 per sf.
I am having trouble finding out the weight.
I am willing to pay the difference for the Mice factor alone.
But I'm not sure if I would be adding more weight.

overlander63 03-06-2011 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger (Post 960072)
I would like some input please.

I have seen threads on spray foam, fiberglass, and bubble insulation but not on cotton.
Ultratouch Denim Insulation by Bonded Logic is a recycled blue jean (cotton) insulation. Besides the recycle thing, I like the fact that it contains Boric acid. Mice hate it. And it will not mold. According to what I have read, not harmful. A 2 inch thick batt has a R-8 vs R-6.7 for fiberglass. The cost is a little higher. Cotton about $1 per square foot. Fiberglass about $ .75 per sf.
I am having trouble finding out the weight.
I am willing to pay the difference for the Mice factor alone.
But I'm not sure if I would be adding more weight.

What has Bonded Logic done to the cotton for fire retardant? Cotton burns very well.

noreen&sal 03-06-2011 07:54 AM

It might not burn if its soaking wet. Sal.

triplenet 03-06-2011 08:26 AM

I would be concerned about it absorbing moisture.

Frank's Trailer Works 03-06-2011 08:51 AM

you said 2"= R8
The wall is 1 3/8" interior space so your R value is drastically reduced and already too low.
Reflectix or similar= R12.5 if 1/2" dead air space is combined. A layer against the exterior skin and one against the interior leaves a 3/4"+/- airspace between the two layers. R should be 24+ that way.
A 300watt halogen bulb raised the temp from 28 degrees to 68 in one hour. That is with just the first layer installed.

None of this info was gathered scientifically. I only play a scientist on TV and an awesome podcast.

Bob Thompson 03-06-2011 09:54 AM

Boric Acid is the primary ingredient in such products as Roach Pruf and Roach Rid. It gets rid of bugs, not sure about mice. It seems it would be much easier to apply Roach Pruf to fiberglass insul than to replace the insulation with Denim Insulation. As alluded to above, denim soaks up and holds moisture, and eventually, all trailers leak. Just a few thoughts.

GeocamperAS 03-06-2011 01:30 PM

I appreciate all the input. Keep it coming. Help me decide what to do.

overlander63: According to Wikipeda the Boric Acid is also the reason for the Class 1 fire rating.

triplenet: according to the Spec sheet it has a moisture absorption of less than 15%. I'm not sure how that compares to fiberglass. I do know fiberglass can get soaked.

Bob Thompson: I agree with the roach thing, I found that in some readings. As far as the mouse thing, I saw a 'Holmes on Homes' when they were using this. They stated 'no mold, no termites, and no mice'. However I have not read anything on mice.

Although I am trying to seal every possible spot mice could get in, I was hoping I came across something here.

Please continue with thoughts and input.

DaveFL 03-06-2011 04:35 PM

R value, only real criteria, mice roaches etc are dealt with by preventing there intrusion or specific pesticides.
I would go for the highest number I could afford, and a known substance that can survive water leakage.

Minno 03-06-2011 04:47 PM

There was an episode on not long ago on one of the renovation shows on how they make this cotton insulation: they demonstrated no water penetration by dumping water on the denim insulation and it just pooled up on top. It's heavier than fiberglass though, and you would definitely have to split it to get it in the cavities behind the walls, since it would not fit the depth otherwise. Might just work.

Kay

GeocamperAS 03-08-2011 05:49 PM

Is there anything I can spray on the fiberglass to detour mice?

DanielB 03-08-2011 06:02 PM

Cotton insulation? Is it just clothes then where if cotton gets wet it has no insulating value? That is why hikers and such don't wear cotton, they wear wool, which will keep you warm even if it gets wet.

boatdoc 03-09-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreen (Post 960114)
It might not burn if its soaking wet. Sal.

Hi Sal;
You are sharp as a tack. "boatdoc"

noreen&sal 03-09-2011 07:27 AM

Boatdoc

I must have been having a good day. {very unusual}. Sal.

Bill M. 03-09-2011 08:22 AM

Personally I can not see any advantage at all to the cotton. Fiberglass is a proven insulation that stays in place well, is light weight, and will survive repeated wettings and drying out. My airstream has a habit of developing leaks from time to time. Lots of things cotton may be recycled to that would seem more valuable and a better use for it.