Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/)
-   -   Confused about Quoting (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/confused-about-quoting-74448.html)

Michigander 02-26-2011 10:47 AM

Confused about Quoting

When I tried to quote a portion of a post today, then submitted my reply, the quote did not show up in a shaded box, looking like a quote. It appeared as though the quote was something I had written. Any suggestions?

Fyrzowt 02-26-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

When I tried to quote a portion of a post today, then submitted my reply, the quote did not show up in a shaded box, looking like a quote.
I know there is another way, but I copy/paste the portion that I want to quote into the reply box. I then highlight the quote, then click on the little yellow box on the right above. As you scroll over the icon, it will say "wrap (quote) tags around selected text". Click on the icon, it puts the highlighted text in quotes for you.

Edit: the icon is in the bar directly over the reply area.

FreshAir 02-26-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padillab (Post 956667)
When I tried to quote a portion of a post today, then submitted my reply, the quote did not show up in a shaded box, looking like a quote. It appeared as though the quote was something I had written. Any suggestions?

Did you include the entire quote or/and the bracketed [QUOTE] as I did here?
Neil

InsideOut 02-26-2011 11:08 AM

The easiest way to quote a post is to click the "quote" button at the post you want to quote. Then when it pops up, edit the text between the html brackets enclosing the [--quote--] edit what's here [--/quote--] (--minus signs added by me so it won't "work" here). That's it...you have to have the brackets...that's what prompts the html. If you don't want to or need to reference the original thread or author, just put the word quote in brackets [word "quote"] and not the other stuff at the beginning. Regardless, you have to end the quote with bracket-dash-quote-bracket [/word "quote"]

If you want to split the quote into multiples, put the portion at the beginning including the brackets "quote..."and add the "/quote" including brackets at the end of each section. Basically, what you are coding is html for "start quote" and "end quote".

When you hit the quote button...look to see what's there are the beginning & end of the quote before you edit it to see what it should look like.

Shari :flowers:

webspinner 02-26-2011 11:11 AM

I find it easiest most of the time to use the "quote" button in the bottom of the post I'm trying to quote from.

Then I delete the extraneous parts, making sure to keep the [QWOTE] [/QWOTE] tags at the beginning and end. These tell the computer to put the text in a quote box. (Yes, the misspelling is intentional, otherwise it reads it as real tags and won't show them.)

Michigander 02-26-2011 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=FreshAir;956672]Did you include the entre quote or/and the bracketed
Quote:

as I did here?
Neil
I think I might have deleted the bracketed words "QUOTE" at the beginning and end. Let's see how this looks. My only change to your entry was to delete the "i" in entire.

Michigander 02-26-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webspinner (Post 956681)
I find it easiest most of the time to use the "quote" button in the bottom of the post I'm trying to quote from.

Then I delete the extraneous parts, making sure to keep the [QWOTE] [/QWOTE] tags at the beginning and end. These tell the computer to put the text in a quote box. (Yes, the mispelling is intentional, otherwise it reads it as real tags and won't show them.)

I'll keep trying, thanks for the help.

InsideOut 02-26-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padillab (Post 956682)
I think I might have deleted the bracketed words "QUOTE" at the beginning and end. Let's see how this looks. My only change to your entry was to delete the "i" in entire.

Not quite...You have the beginning right...but left off the end quote [--/quote--] (minus the --'s)at the end.

Michigander 02-26-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut (Post 956720)
Not quite...You have the beginning right..but left off the end quote [--/quote--] (minus the --'s)at the end.

This should be better, thanks.

InsideOut 02-26-2011 03:01 PM

:clap: Looks like you got it!