Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   Electrical Help? Battery to 12V panel? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/electrical-help-battery-to-12v-panel-74038.html)

DanielB 02-26-2011 03:41 PM

Just found out the wires are stainless steel so do not need to replace with copper.

Splitrock 02-26-2011 05:35 PM

Converter - fuses - Pictures

6 Attachment(s)
I got more pictures.

Attachment 123150

Attachment 123151

Attachment 123152

Attachment 123153

Attachment 123154

Attachment 123155

TG Twinkie 02-26-2011 05:52 PM

Looking good.

Yes you need a negative wire to the shell (skin); It should be at least a #10, if you have #8 it would be better. The reason is that the negative side carries the sum of all the loads from your fuse panel.

DanielB 02-26-2011 05:56 PM

Interesting. It looks like the Neg is fused between the battery and distribution panel, but I don't see a fuse for the Pos.
That's the way that the diagram in the service manual is.

I see the white coming off of the dist panel is grounded to the shell. I wasn't sure about that but went ahead and did it just in case. I didn't think that it could hurt anything. I think that it is a 10. I believe that it is the same white that comes off of the TV and goes into the panel and it has a split off there and a circle thing where it must have been grounded to the shell before.

DanielB 02-26-2011 06:00 PM

So now it is all hooked up as described and the converter is grounded to the shell and the 12v panel is grounded to the shell and everything is hooked up except the pos from the battery.

When I bring the Pos from the battery up and touch the breaker there are sparks. That is probably not ok, right?

DanielB 02-26-2011 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It wasn't sparking too bad so I went ahead and hooked it up. It didn't blow up.

Using my light pen tester thing I went around trying to test for hot wires around the trailer. Nothing.
Pen light to positive battery cable and ground to shell.. nothing.
Pen light to positive battery cable and ground to Neg cable.. light!

Looked again at the diagram that came with the converter.
I hadn't hooked up a ground from the Neg battery cable line to the shell.
Put a wire in there and then I started getting light in the tester when grounding to the shell. Apparently the shell wasn't grounded or something?

Think it may be ok now.
-Grounds
-- white wire from side of converter to shell
-- white wire from top breaker (neg) to shell
-- white wire from 12v panel to shell

I appreciate all of the help TG and Splitrock.
I will now post this information on my restore thread and take full credit.

Off to work on windows..

Splitrock 02-26-2011 08:06 PM

Glad ya got it. Good job!

Gary

TG Twinkie 02-26-2011 08:30 PM

Happy to help.