Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Fresh Water Systems (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/)
-   -   Old Water Tank Removal & Clean up (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443/old-water-tank-removal-and-clean-up-73171.html)

IronGiant 01-16-2011 09:47 PM

Old Water Tank Removal & Clean up

fellas

trying to grt rollin on an interior remodel of our 62 GT. Any thought on using the old tank or will it work just fine if we are hooked up at an RV Resort, which is most likely. If so how to detach and clean so family can use without getting sick.. Want to keep original design if it works ok. we will not be boondocking , just hooking up

Thnaks Pat

Beaker63 01-16-2011 10:16 PM

IG,
If you are just using city water, you could easily get by without any tank, or pump, at all.
Tim

markdoane 01-16-2011 10:39 PM

Whether its a steel tank or aluminum, it may start to leak if you use anything like CLR or acid to clean out the 50 years of crud.

If you do clean it out, be sure you pressure test it before you put it back. A pinhole leak in the water tank can rot out your floor in a big hurry.

putback 01-19-2011 06:25 PM

My original fresh w/tank is plastic, had a lot of crud inside. With the tank out I used a portable pressure steam cleaner on the inside [carefully], soaked with clorox solution, mutiple fresh water rinses. Did the same on the aluminum HOT water tank, presure tested the hot to 90 lbs. Two years no problems yet. I'm guessing I'm real lucky on the hot tank.

noreen&sal 01-19-2011 07:13 PM

IMHO, I would never drink water out of any storage tank in a RV or boat. Its not hard to carry 2 weeks worth of water in Bjugs for drinking or making coffee. But then again, why would you want to drink water, out of bourbon? Sal.

richinny 01-19-2011 07:35 PM

how do you wash dishes?

noreen&sal 01-19-2011 07:41 PM

We never wash paper plates. Sal.

putback 01-20-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreen (Post 940110)
IMHO, But then again, why would you want to drink water, out of bourbon? Sal.

Thats a scary thought, can it happen? I'm ripping out my w/tank for more storage space. If she complains than I'll have that much more room!

Minno 01-20-2011 07:09 PM

I tried denture cleaning tablets in our water tank, and it looks like they would do a good job, but in the end we came up with the money for a new one. Our old tank had sat full of water for well over a year, by estimate, and was GREEN!. Thus the new tank. We DO drink the water, and so, sanitize the tank and water system with bleach water, followed by a vinegar water rinse to get rid of the bleach taste every spring. In all our years of RVing (20plus) we have never gotten sick from the water.

Kay

Lucille 06-23-2011 08:53 AM

Just purchased a 76' model and have been wondering about the old water tanks. I am a novice and this forum has answered many questions. I plan to park my AS to use as a summer camp but now Im getting the bug for a smaller more portable model in the future. Thank you all for the info.