Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Where would you go?? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/where-would-you-go-72932.html)

Mr & Mrs S 01-08-2011 05:49 PM

Where would you go??

Hi all,

Looking for some ideas. We are new AS owners in the process of remodeling a 93' Excella and will be done around May. (Hopefully sooner)

My question is, if you had the entire month of September off and you were tired of the South East Texas heat where would your go? Our idea is somewhere with mountains and streams.
Keep in mind were a young couple(very outdoors people) with just two dogs. Pics would be great! I need to start planning now as its just part of my personality, were as my wife says "Awww just WING it";) LOL.

cameront120 01-08-2011 05:53 PM

Come to British Columbia. We have everything and love dogs.

azflycaster 01-08-2011 06:13 PM

Southern Colorado. Durango, Silverton, Telluride and Cortez have a lot to offer.

Boondocker 01-08-2011 06:14 PM

Almost certainly New Mexico and the Four Corners region.

SteveH 01-08-2011 06:19 PM

ANYWHERE that the altitude is above 6000 feet so it will be cool.

Don't pay any attention to those above....they don't know what kind of heat we live in here in Texas in the summer! :D

TG Twinkie 01-08-2011 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with azflycaster. Southwest Colorado. In late September the aspens will be turning. Lots to see. The Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train ride is worth the money in my opinion. Ouray, Colorado is known as the Switzerland of the U.S.. Mesa Verde is another interesting visit. If you go to Durango, CO be sure to check out the Alpen Rose campground, I stayed there last fall, beautiful setting, quiet, CLEAN and really nice folks. Close to virtually everything. Check out their website.

JimW 01-08-2011 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Lake Superior

Minnesota's North Shore Drive and our favorite, Bayfield, Wisconsin. Pristine, rugged, and beautiful.

The most beautiful place on Earth!

Ashland, WI, has a great brewery, South Shore Brewery.
Attachment 118987

Attachment 118988

TG Twinkie 01-08-2011 06:42 PM

Southwest Colorado

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more shots of the area.

azflycaster 01-08-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 935269)
ANYWHERE that the altitude is above 6000 feet so it will be cool.

Don't pay any attention to those above....they don't know what kind of heat we live in here in Texas in the summer! :D

Durango is at 6,512 feet. I know about heat...

Aage 01-08-2011 07:40 PM

The South of France... :: sigh :: the Cte d'Azur

batman 01-08-2011 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I might suggest the Sierra Nevada's. Come west and start at Lake Tahoe, Lake Tahoe Campground and RV Parks. Work your way south though National Forrest lands with multitudes of lakes, rivers and streams to fish and swim. If you are into hiking we have sooo many vast wilderness areas like Desolation, Carson-Iceberg, Emigrant, Hoover, Ansel Adams, Golden Trout, etc. etc. Oh ya cant forget Yosemite National Park and Sequoia-Kings Canyon. When you get tired of hiking and your eyes are sore from looking at all the wondrous mountain views. Just head on over to the coast, grab some wine on the way and watch the sunset on the beach.

SJ1 01-08-2011 08:35 PM

The north rim of the Grand Canyon is a beautiful place. One of those places that stays with you forever.

FordTruck 01-08-2011 08:35 PM

The Blue Ridge Parkway.

SteveH 01-08-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azflycaster (Post 935281)
Durango is at 6,512 feet. I know about heat...

Yea, but it's a DRY heat........... :D

Mr & Mrs S 01-08-2011 08:53 PM

Wow look at all the replies thanks everyone, I'm Googling now! LOL... Keep the ideas coming I can put them all to use. Might turn into a multiple stop trip!!!

easyride 01-08-2011 09:38 PM

Angel Fire ,Taos,Santa Fe and Chama are great places in N.Mexico,just remember to bring a jacket. Dave

Fyrzowt 01-08-2011 09:47 PM

There are obviously a lot of choices in the USA, some excellent suggestions have been made. The Rocky Mtns and the Sierra Nevada Mtns are the obvious choices to me, many spots there have been mentioned. Don't forget the Jackson, WY and Yellowstone areas.
Sounds like a wonderful time, a great deal of the fun is in the planning!

HCR 01-08-2011 09:52 PM

Creede/S. Fork CO. at 8500 and 8300 ft. respectively. In the valleys, frosts appear in August.

Mr & Mrs S 01-08-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyride (Post 935366)
Angel Fire ,Taos,Santa Fe and Chama are great places in N.Mexico,just remember to bring a jacket. Dave

Funny you should say that but we are traveling to Angel Fire Mid February for a ski trip and the AS wont be ready by then :(.

Mr & Mrs S 01-08-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TG Twinkie (Post 935271)
I agree with azflycaster. Southwest Colorado. In late September the aspens will be turning. Lots to see. The Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train ride is worth the money in my opinion. Ouray, Colorado is known as the Switzerland of the U.S.. Mesa Verde is another interesting visit. If you go to Durango, CO be sure to check out the Alpen Rose campground, I stayed there last fall, beautiful setting, quiet, CLEAN and really nice folks. Close to virtually everything. Check out their website.

Thanks TG Twinkie,

I'm looking into this because me and my wife have always talked about riding a train and I have always wanted to fly fish so I may consider some time in Durango. I have been there before but was very young. Thanks for you pictures. Would September be a good time of year for that trip or would you adivse another time?