Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/)
-   -   New Member ~ Wading-in re: 1966 17' Caravel (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368/new-member-wading-in-re-1966-17-caravel-72356.html)

FeisFeet 12-14-2010 08:38 PM

New Member ~ Wading-in re: 1966 17' Caravel

Hello All ~ I'm a brand new member and first-time poster, so I'm saying hello with a quick introduction.

I just acquired a 1966 Caravel through a pretty remarkable arrangement. It had been sitting on a commercial lot for 5 years, after having been extensively retrofitted and used in a marketing program for a national firm. The AS last sold for $6800 in 2005 and the buyer paid nearly $45,000 to retrofit the unit for a summer campaign. It has literally been sitting in a lot for 5 years and I was able to acquire for the whopping sum of $2,000.

Now I'm in the "now what" stage. I know she would be very valuable in a commercial situation, but likely of nearly zero value from a traditionalist perspective. She is in terrific shape with things like a 7kw gas generator, 3,500 lbs. Torsion flex axle, stainless steel countertops with stainless steel shelving, commercial freezers, new wiring throughout, etc. As well, she has been equipped with a concession window. In short, a very unique and valuable vehicle. All of the work was done through a high-end firm that customizes trailers and they know what they're doing.

I would post pictures but I don't think it would be fair to the well-known firm until I can remove the vinyl lettering in order to "de-identify" her. I gave them my word that I would not take her on the road until she was in "neutral" condition, thus I'm reluctant to post her pictures here until I have done so.

I guess I'm just wading-in to say hello, introduce my new unit and see what you think. I have the title and she was built in Jackson Center, Ohio.

Wooooo hi ~ I'm Terry, from Saint Louis \\ proud new owner of a '66 Caravel

I'm still thinking about what to do with my new toy. There's no way that I will take her back to the

bolerama 12-14-2010 09:06 PM

Congratulations Terry, and welcome to the forums. Can't wait to see pics of the "neutralized" trailer.
Lisa

CanoeStream 12-14-2010 09:13 PM

Hello FeisFeet. Welcome to the Forums!

Interesting summary to say the least. We'll appreciate photos (without logos) when you can. But the floorplan would be most interesting! :flowers:

Bob

bolerama 12-14-2010 09:17 PM

Congratulations Terry and welcome to the Forums! I can't wait to see pics of your "neutralized" trailer. It sounds very interesting.

Lisa

FeisFeet 12-14-2010 09:34 PM

Lisa + Bob ~ thank you both for the warm welcome ... When I can share pics, I will do so but I hope you can understand why I can't at this point. Everyone here would recognize the brand and I did not purchase the A/S from them...

Terry

Melody Ranch 12-14-2010 09:56 PM

Hi Terry...Welcome!
From the sound of the set up of the Caravel I believe your best bet would be to look around for a buyer or trader. You have a great vendor type item which will be expensive to re-convert to a comfy Airstream. It really depends on the set up now and how you feel about living with all those commercial mods. Pics when you can.

FeisFeet 12-14-2010 10:07 PM

Melody ~ thank you for the welcome and I do agree that taking her back to semi-original condition is likely out of the question. Her best bet would be on "The Great Food Truck Race" or in someplace like Seaside, Florida. In the short run tailgating will be in-order for sure.

Terry

jjustice 12-14-2010 10:25 PM

FeisFeet,
Sounds like you have a jewel but the question is where do you "wear" the jewel?
Welcome to the Forums.

cclarkego 12-14-2010 10:27 PM

Then again, you could take her to rallies and have a food concession stand....

FeisFeet 12-14-2010 10:41 PM

Cclarkego ~ ha, but not my current style ~ I do think I'll flip her once I've assessed the right commercial value and had some ownership fun...

Nuvite-F 12-15-2010 09:20 AM

Terry,

Looks like you might have a likely buyer for your trailer!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...tml#post926888

foodstream 12-15-2010 12:53 PM

nuvite I feel like I have been set up for marriage! lol. I have talked with feisfeet offline.

FeisFeet 01-05-2011 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised earlier, here is an outside view of the unit now that it's been appropriately "neutralized." I have a prospective buyer, so once it's in his hands he can take the next steps.

In my short time being here it's been fun, educational and welcoming. Thank you all for that and have a great 2011.

Terry (FeisFeet)

bolerama 01-06-2011 09:49 AM

Thanks FeisFeet. It looks interesting. Wish I had a need for it at the moment. Glad you found a buyer. Maybe you can get your FeisFeet wet on another trailer and get to use it for camping.
Lisa