Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Am I obsessed? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/am-i-obsessed-71877.html)

AirHeadRik 11-25-2010 09:23 AM

Am I obsessed?

This is my third Airstream. I started off with a 1964, 17' Bambi II. Sold it. Then picked up a 2006 Safari 19'. Sold it.

Airstream lent me a Base Camp as a traveling workshop for my custom Drum Company (Rockett Drum Works) couple of years ago for the Poison tour. (Yes, I'm the drummer).

Took a one year pause with a camper van and decided I couldn't live without an Airstream. Sold the van. Now we have a 25' International. Love it! Plan to keep it for a looooong time. Need more room with a family of three and I have always lusted over the International appointments.

So, it took the third charm to get it right. All this time I have been obsessed (as my Wife says) over Airstreams. I have daily Ebay searches and Craigslist for all things Airstream. I research all of my Airstream purchases to the point of stupid. (6 weeks pondering Pro Pride or Hensley). I sent her little things Airstream oriented in the morning via email. "Please!" she says. "You are going to make this no fun!"

Dear fellow Airstreamers... Am I obsessed?

Ag&Au 11-25-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirHeadRik (Post 920661)
This is my third Airstream. I started off with a 1964, 17' Bambi II. Sold it. Then picked up a 2006 Safari 19'. Sold it.

Airstream lent me a Base Camp as a traveling workshop for my custom Drum Company (Rockett Drum Works) couple of years ago for the Poison tour. (Yes, I'm the drummer).

Took a one year pause with a camper van and decided I couldn't live without an Airstream. Sold the van. Now we have a 25' International. Love it! Plan to keep it for a looooong time. Need more room with a family of three and I have always lusted over the International appointments.

So, it took the third charm to get it right. All this time I have been obsessed (as my Wife says) over Airstreams. I have daily Ebay searches and Craigslist for all things Airstream. I research all of my Airstream purchases to the point of stupid. (6 weeks pondering Pro Pride or Hensley). I sent her little things Airstream oriented in the morning via email. "Please!" she says. "You are going to make this no fun!"

What difference does it make?

The question should be, "Does it make you happy or does it cause you grief?"

Spend today being thankful you are able to enjoy your Airstream.:)

Obsessed is just a word some psychologist made up to make having fun sound bad and it caught on.:D

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ken

InsideOut 11-25-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Generally speaking, if you have to ask > the answer is yes & you're in denial! But, the real question is...is that a bad thing? I think not...

Shari :flowers:

Janet H 11-25-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

...... I have daily Ebay searches and Craigslist for all things Airstream. I research all of my Airstream purchases to the point of stupid. (6 weeks pondering Pro Pride or Hensley). I sent her little things Airstream oriented in the morning via email. "Please!" she says. "You are going to make this no fun!"

You're asking us? Hmm...
Dunno but that sounds about right to me.... Of course I am wearing a t shirt with an Airstream on it, have asked for a new rivet gun for christmas, have two trailers in my suburban back yard (violating several city ordinances) and not too long ago drove 4 hours just to wander through a new Airstream dealer. Perhaps your wife might like this? silvertrailer jewelry

Kevin245 11-25-2010 11:36 AM

Sounds normal to me.......:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bling for the SO always seems to help.

Good luck,

Kevin

Gene 11-25-2010 11:36 AM

Yes. We all are. It's ok to be in love so long as it doesn't negatively affect the rest of your life, and do listen to your wife.

If I read your post correctly you are the drummer for a rock 'n' roll band that I've sort of heard of (I'm a little behind the times still obsessing over 60's and 70's r 'n' r). Since rock 'n' roll bands are known for excessive behavior, if this is the worst you do, you are doing pretty well.

Gene

Silverwanabe 11-25-2010 12:52 PM

Rikki,

You are not obsessed.
Just addicted to aluminum:D

AirHeadRik 11-25-2010 02:36 PM

Done with the bad behavior. Just a need for aluminum these days! (Oh, and motorcycles too!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene (Post 920705)
Yes. We all are. It's ok to be in love so long as it doesn't negatively affect the rest of your life, and do listen to your wife.

If I read your post correctly you are the drummer for a rock 'n' roll band that I've sort of heard of (I'm a little behind the times still obsessing over 60's and 70's r 'n' r). Since rock 'n' roll bands are known for excessive behavior, if this is the worst you do, you are doing pretty well.

Gene

ND10CentCan 11-25-2010 05:50 PM

I think I have caught the same disease...my family is thinking I might need an intervention when I think I need another AS!

whitsend 11-25-2010 08:08 PM

Am I obsessed?

Dunno. My daughter thought I was when I bought the 30 ft. She became positive when I got the tattoo of the 1954 Cruiser. She's been planning an intervention for a few years now, ever since I bought the 1954 Cruiser & my best buddy & I had to drive 1,600 miles (one way - damn near to Canada, from central Texas!!) to bring her home!!

IMHO - Your just a man with good taste and (finally?) the funds to pursue your own choices. Personally, I consider one of the nicest things about being a "senior" citizen is not having to worry too much what others think. Been there, did that. No more :p.

NCstream 11-25-2010 09:00 PM

I love your problem

I found Christmas wrapping paper with little Bambi looking trailers on it. Trouble is I don't want to wrap anyones present in it.

AirHeadRik 11-25-2010 11:16 PM

Lovin' the obsessed stories. Maybe this thread should be a little like the, "You might be a redneck if..." Instead, we can replace it with "You might be an Airhead (Rivethead or whatever) if...! *insert comment*

Aage 11-25-2010 11:24 PM

There at least one thread like that, Rik.

I was waiting for a quip sorta like, "You might be obsessed with airstreams if you cut your lawn and find two more TTs, or enough parts to refurbish the bath in your 31-footer."

SilverHoot 11-26-2010 08:59 AM

Perfectly normal.

AirHeadRik 11-26-2010 09:03 AM

Yes! That was what I was looking for. So much for me thinking I'm creative. ;\

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 920867)
There at least one thread like that, Rik.

I was waiting for a quip sorta like, "You might be obsessed with airstreams if you cut your lawn and find two more TTs, or enough parts to refurbish the bath in your 31-footer."

cms4140 11-26-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

If Carter Beauford walks in to RDW, tell him hello for me. Cool website, BTW.

I don't think it is obsession. It seems to be perfectly normal for those of us who are new to the AS community/lifestyle.

AirHeadRik 11-26-2010 09:25 AM

Yes, that would be pretty cool! Thanks!

BTW: David Winnick did an Airstream aluminum wrap job for me on a snare drum a couple of years ago. I have a pic somewhere if you are interested in seeing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cms4140 (Post 920912)
If Carter Beauford walks in to RDW, tell him hello for me. Cool website, BTW.

I don't think it is obsession. It seems to be perfectly normal for those of us who are new to the AS community/lifestyle.

AirHeadRik 11-26-2010 09:34 AM

Here's a pic...

Alclad aluminum over maple.

AirHeadRik 11-26-2010 09:47 AM

Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Pic... I hope.

Sheridan 11-26-2010 09:49 AM

I'm guessing that "AirHead" refers to a vintage, air cooled, horizontally opposed, twin cylinder, BMW motorcycle or is one of my obsessions clouding reality?

Sheridan