Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   All Argosy Trailers (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/)
-   -   Argosy porch light (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227/argosy-porch-light-70180.html)

RV H-D Lady 10-03-2010 03:13 PM

Argosy porch light

Anyone have any luck removing and reinstalling a light bulb over the entrance door on a 1976 Argosy? My hands aren't huge, but there just isn't enough room to get in there and twist the bulb out. The only option I see is to remove two screws at the bottom, (one of which is really rusted) and remove the whole light cover, replace the bulb, then reinstall and recaulk the cover. Seems like a design flaw to me!!!!!

ALANSD 10-03-2010 03:14 PM

try grabbing it with fingers in a rubber glove for traction

bobberfrog 10-03-2010 03:37 PM

i used a long nose(needle nose) pliers to turn and pulled out the light bulb on my 79 argosy. It c ame right out. When i put the new one in, I had to put light pressure on the bulb with one hand(finger) and turn with the needle nose pliers(a few little turns). make sure the light is off before you do it just in case the light breaks.

RV H-D Lady 10-03-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobberfrog (Post 902747)
i used a long nose(needle nose) pliers to turn and pulled out the light bulb on my 79 argosy. It c ame right out. When i put the new one in, I had to put light pressure on the bulb with one hand(finger) and turn with the needle nose pliers(a few little turns). make sure the light is off before you do it just in case the light breaks.

I tried some needle-nose pliers, but they weren't long enough. I'll look for some longer ones if ALANSD's rubber glove trick doesn't work. Thanks!!

Lothlorian 10-03-2010 05:49 PM

I took the whole porch light out. I think the cover was held to the trailer by three screws. I was able to replace the socket because my 1973 was all rust. It took me about 30min.

Brian

RV H-D Lady 10-04-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lothlorian (Post 902799)
I took the whole porch light out. I think the cover was held to the trailer by three screws. I was able to replace the socket because my 1973 was all rust. It took me about 30min.

Brian

Rust could be a problem with mine too. If I get the bulb replaced and it still doesn't work looks like replacing the socket will be another project. = )

Bex 10-05-2010 07:36 AM

I think I would tend to go the remove the whole thing route, then you can be satisfied its got new screws, wiring is good (test before putting fixture back) and re-caulked.
Probably won't take as long to do as you have already spent on it.

Bex

RV H-D Lady 10-05-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex (Post 903390)
I think I would tend to go the remove the whole thing route, then you can be satisfied its got new screws, wiring is good (test before putting fixture back) and re-caulked.
Probably won't take as long to do as you have already spent on it.

Bex

I got the bulb out using the rubber glove method. I tested the bulb in another socket. The bulb worked. But now I can't get one of the rusted screws out of the fixture (there's only two screws holding the cover). I'm treating it with some spray to help with the rust, but it's stubborn!! Not many of my projects went well today. But there's one bright spot - the 120 degrees in the shade days seem to be over in Phoenix, at least for 6 months or so. = )

Bex 10-05-2010 03:05 PM

I guess you might need to drill it out then.
Could be just a busted wire or bad ground perhaps.
Maybe the switch?

Bex

Ganglin 10-05-2010 08:37 PM

Try hitting it in the center with a nail set a couple times to break it loose. If that fails - you may need a little more persuasion:

File:ImpactDriverWithBits.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RV H-D Lady 10-05-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganglin (Post 903686)
Try hitting it in the center with a nail set a couple times to break it loose. If that fails - you may need a little more persuasion:

File:ImpactDriverWithBits.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll try the nail set. Thanks!!

RV H-D Lady 10-08-2010 03:01 PM

I bought a drill bit and a screw extractor. First the head broke off of the rusted scew. Then the extractor broke off in the rusted screw. I found the third screw, up on top of the light cover. It's just as stubborn as the other stubborn one. I'm beginiing to think I really don't need a porch light. = )

Bex 10-09-2010 05:48 AM

Thats the big learning curve is it not? 2 minutes to do the actual job and 1-15 hours of prep time:)
If you mess up the holes getting the screws out, can you just drill new holes, should be ok if they are under a cover? Or use larger replacement self threading screws. (That suggestion is as much a question as a suggestion, anybody?)

Bex

RV H-D Lady 10-10-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bex (Post 904752)
Thats the big learning curve is it not? 2 minutes to do the actual job and 1-15 hours of prep time:)
If you mess up the holes getting the screws out, can you just drill new holes, should be ok if they are under a cover? Or use larger replacement self threading screws. (That suggestion is as much a question as a suggestion, anybody?)

Bex

Bex, looks like my next move is to try to drill out the screw extractor. I've been warned to expect several broken drill bits.