Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Am I paranoid? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/am-i-paranoid-69867.html)

Pahaska 09-25-2010 08:17 AM

Am I paranoid?

1 Attachment(s)
Are they after me?

These two have been visiting my back yard daily for weeks now. My wife puts out old bread for the deer (over my objections). These two come daily and clean up the crumbs that the deer miss.

I never knew that turkey buzzards would eat bread. I thought they existed on carrion.

Sorry for the poor shot. It was taken through a tinted window with a telephoto lens.

moosetags 09-25-2010 08:20 AM

John, just give them each names and enjoy their visits.

Brian

Ahab 09-25-2010 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No, they will eat just about anything. Here is our backyard visitor.:)

Splitrock 09-25-2010 08:38 AM

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...c9a88bd4bc.jpg

triplenet 09-25-2010 08:59 AM

We have a lot of road kill here.

It has made me appreciate the efficient clean up job the vultures do.
They provide a valuable service!!

Bob

Bandits 09-25-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitrock (Post 899571)

Those sure look like turkeys to me. Thanksgiving just around the corner Hmmm?

Pahaska 09-25-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Those sure look like turkeys to me.
We have a few Rio Grande wild turkeys around here, also, but these definitely are not turkeys. I don;t think I would want one of these for dinner.

The Rio Grande wild turkeys have white heads and run on the ground in flocks. These fellers have red heads and fly in.

Mexray 09-25-2010 09:23 AM

Some wise, old, buzzard once told me; "Don't count your Turkeys before they hatch."...;)

This must be the week - we had a pair in our front yard two days ago - they were 'dining' on remains of a squirrel that apparently wasn't quick enough crossing the street!:sad:

Ray

Splitrock 09-25-2010 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandits (Post 899582)
Those sure look like turkeys to me. Thanksgiving just around the corner Hmmm?

We have more turkeys here than rabbits. Seeing 10 deer and 20 turkeys out the back window is every day stuff here. A normal hen will have six chicks in a season. It's not unusual for all six to survive the first winter.

Attachment 111599

Pahaska 09-25-2010 10:17 AM

If you want to see turkeys, deer, etc, but especially the Rio Grande turkeys, stay a few days at South Llano State Park in Junction, Texas. The area is the wintering ground for the turkeys and much of the park is closed off to visitors so that the nesting turkeys are not disturbed. There is an observation blind overlooking a big meadow, but the turkeys will wander right through the campground.

bertro 09-25-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 899564)
John, just give them each names and enjoy their visits.

Brian

The one on the left puts me in mind of my ex. Lets name it Lynn

Pahaska 09-25-2010 10:51 AM

The buzzards are actually quite nice looking in the air. When I was flying my glider, I always looked for buzzards to let me know where the thermals were. Buzzards are heavy and lazy and expend the least possible energy to keep aloft. I have often circled in a thermal with three or four of them. With the head retracted, they look quite nice.

pienjim 09-25-2010 12:03 PM

A vulture boards an airliner en route to his vacation. He is carrying a smelly, dead animal carcass over his shoulder. The flight attendant asks him if he would like to check it. The vulture says, "No thanks, it's carrion."

Sorry, couldn't resist!
Paula

Pahaska 09-25-2010 12:48 PM

Word is spreading fast. We had 4 vultures this morning.