Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/)
-   -   How are your Septic Tanks Supported? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/how-are-your-septic-tanks-supported-69762.html)

bedfords 09-22-2010 10:48 AM

How are your Septic Tanks Supported?

Help
Does anyone know of or have center supports running perpendicular to the removable angle supports that hold up the black and graw water tanks. I will have to post pics later. To try and further explain there are "drops" welding to the floor joist on both sides of the black water and gray water tanks (there is only one between the two tanks) These drops are centered in the middle of the trailer measuring side to side. The drops extend below where the belly skin should go. Belly skin was missing when I got the trailer. From the drops cross members where bolted on, running under the tanks apparently added support to the center of the waste tanks. I can't imagine this came from the factory?

Has anyone seen this or done anything like this? When the tanks are full is the side angle supports enough? I was thinking I could beef things up by sliding some flat stock in at 2 to 3 places under the tanks supported by the angles on each side.

Inland RV Center, In 09-22-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedfords (Post 898443)
Help
Does anyone know of or have center supports running perpendicular to the removable angle supports that hold up the black and graw water tanks. I will have to post pics later. To try and further explain there are "drops" welding to the floor joist on both sides of the black water and gray water tanks (there is only one between the two tanks) These drops are centered in the middle of the trailer measuring side to side. The drops extend below where the belly skin should go. Belly skin was missing when I got the trailer. From the drops cross members where bolted on, running under the tanks apparently added support to the center of the waste tanks. I can't imagine this came from the factory?

Has anyone seen this or done anything like this? When the tanks are full is the side angle supports enough? I was thinking I could beef things up by sliding some flat stock in at 2 to 3 places under the tanks supported by the angles on each side.

Photo's ?

Andy

purman 09-22-2010 10:58 AM

When I redid mine I got a fiber glass tank from Inland RV it had a flange around the side so I used this to screw it to the floor. All it had before was one piece of angle Iron going across the back and front. I guess this was enough but it most have sagged at some point. If you use the same tanks I would run some plumbers strap metal across the tanks to help support them. You can attache it to the frame or screw it to the floor. I used it on my grey tank when I put it in my trailer. You can see a picture here. Page 6 has the black tank and page 7 has the grey.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f327...r-44644-7.html

bedfords 09-23-2010 02:53 PM

How is your Septic Tanks Supported?

2 Attachment(s)
Refer to the first entry.
A couple pics of what I have. I'm not going to quit my day job but I think if you know what your looking at you can figure it out.
The first pick is of the drop that is between the black and graw tanks. I labled the drop and the cross support for the gray tank. The black tank cross support attaches at the bottom of the support and runs to the left of the page. I also labled the tabs on the frame that the original angle supports bolt to, these are the supports on the sides of the sheet metal boxes the tanks go in. The second pic is of the drop for the black water tank. Notice that it drops below the box support that the belly skin attaches to. The cross support in question rest on top of the lip and is bolted.

The question remains: How is your tanks supported? Are the side supports, be them angles or Tees, enough to hold up a full tank?

Arrowstream 09-23-2010 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
From your first post... anyone done something like this? Yes, I only had a (leaking) black tank, so during remodeling, I put two tanks in on a homemade angle iron frame. They hang by a lip all the way around the tanks but I also strapped them up. There's a drop angle iron below the tanks to attach the belly pan to.