Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Road Trip/ 2010/ The Cascades (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/road-trip-2010-the-cascades-67592.html)

Lumatic 07-31-2010 10:52 AM

Road Trip/ 2010/ The Cascades

1 Attachment(s)
Crater Lake Early July. Note the white stuff which is melting and making mucho mud and mosquitos.

Lumatic 07-31-2010 10:54 AM

Mt Hood

1 Attachment(s)
At Timberline Lodge (where The Shining was filmed)

Lumatic 07-31-2010 10:58 AM

Columbia River Gorge

1 Attachment(s)
At Menoawesomething Falls in my Moses parting the waters ala Charlton Heston pose

Lumatic 07-31-2010 11:01 AM

Mt St Helens

1 Attachment(s)
Green bush growing out of Flordemayo's head

Lumatic 07-31-2010 11:12 AM

Mt Rainier

1 Attachment(s)
Our Roots

The Grove of the Patriarchs

Smartstream 07-31-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 878002)
Our Roots

The Grove of the Patriarchs

You have discovered some of the reasons we live in the Pacific Northwest. Great pictures.

Cheers, Dan

Gene 07-31-2010 01:12 PM

Tell us more about your trip. We love traveling in the NW.

I am curious about the green bush growing out of Flor's head. I was told when I was young that if I didn't wash my ears, potatoes would grow in them. Although I like potatoes, I have successfully kept my ears clean enough and have grown no potatoes. Is Flor' not cleaning her ears, perhaps not shampooing her hair? Do you take her to an MD or a master gardener for treatment?

Gene

Lumatic 07-31-2010 01:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene (Post 878044)
Tell us more about your trip. We love traveling in the NW.

I am curious about the green bush growing out of Flor's head. I was told when I was young that if I didn't wash my ears, potatoes would grow in them. Although I like potatoes, I have successfully kept my ears clean enough and have grown no potatoes. Is Flor' not cleaning her ears, perhaps not shampooing her hair? Do you take her to an MD or a master gardener for treatment?

Gene

Actually, The place we could not wait to get away from was Crater Lake, at least this time of year. The place was absolutely gorgeous, but the mosquitos were so ravenous we could not get out of the trailer. The campsite was also still covered with 3 feet of snow. It would been perfect in another month.

We spent 3-5 days at Hood, St Helens and Rainier and only scratched the surface.

On the way up stayed along the Colorado north of Moab. On flip side back to NM stayed at Great Basin NP and Angel Peak, NM. There is an Colorado River campsite pic I just posted undet the thread "Cheap or free in Utah" and an Angel Peak photo I just put up in the thread "Cheap or free in New Mexico"

I attached a photo of our campsite at Crater and Lehman Cave in Great Basin. What else would you like to know about?

Gene 07-31-2010 01:51 PM

We were at Crater Lake about 7 years ago and I think it was June. Part of the road around the Lake was still closed because of snow. The good thing was the mosquitos were still sleeping.

Was the photo on the right above from Oregon Cave NM?

You seem to have my beard, only shorter. I like the "Moose Drool" T shirt.

I like to follow people's road trips because it brings back memories or tells be about places I may want to go to. Tell about what you liked.

Gene

Lumatic 07-31-2010 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene (Post 878053)
We were at Crater Lake about 7 years ago and I think it was June. Part of the road around the Lake was still closed because of snow. The good thing was the mosquitos were still sleeping.

I like to follow people's road trips because it brings back memories or tells be about places I may want to go to. Tell about what you liked.

Gene

I could have made my trip money selling bug dope at Crater.

I never heard of Oregon Cave in NM. What can you tell me about it? The cave was Lehman Cave in Great Basin National Park.

Another favorite microbrewery on the way was Polygamy Beer in Utah. Motto: "You can't have just one".

Enjoyed everything, but especially Mt Rainier. I would really like to do some climbing above treeline again.

The photo is from treeline on Mt Hood with Mt Jefferson to the south.

Gene 07-31-2010 05:35 PM

Sorry, it's Oregon Cave National Monument. It's not in NM, but it is in Oregon in the southwestern part of the state, though not on the coast. It's a moderately interesting cave and a more interesting old log hotel. It doesn't get a lot of visitors. We went there the same year we went to Crater Lake. Lehman Cave is a much better cave with an incredible number of formations.

The photo from Mt. Hood is cool with the fluffy clouds. Although we were near Rainier, we kept going. When we were at Mt. St. Helens the mountain was covered with clouds so we didn't really see it. You got to see it, we'll have to go back.

Gene

Smartstream 07-31-2010 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrawfordGene (Post 878053)

Gene

Here are a couple of pictures of Crater Lake in May, a truly beautiful place. No problems with mosquitoes.

Cheers, Dan

Lumatic 07-31-2010 08:16 PM

Wizard Island view in July

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot I took of Wizard Island in July from about the same spot.

Miscellany:
Crater Lake gets over 40 feet of snow a season. The park has the capacity to clear over a million cubic feet of snow an hour, which translates to 1/4 mi.of road a day. It takes 4 months to open the road on the west side. In July the east side and one campground was still snowed in.