Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   On The Road... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Chicago to BLack Hills SD information please (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/chicago-to-black-hills-sd-information-please-66817.html)

till 07-12-2010 10:39 AM

Chicago to BLack Hills SD information please

We are planning a trip to the Black Hills this fall, Early September. I have a couple of questions....
1. Which is better this year 90 or 80?
I have heard that 90 is wash board some years, but have also heard the same for 80.

2. Any current information (review type) on Horse Thief camp ground?

Thank you in advance.....

fltlevel510 07-12-2010 12:04 PM

South Dakota

till,
We traveled I80 going to the West coast two summers ago without any problems. While in the Black Hills area we stayed at the Spearfish City Campground in Spearfish, SD. This is a great campground co-located in a city park and close to all the attractions - Deadwood, Lead, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, etc. The campground is within the city limits along a great trout stream. You can actually purchase your fishing license online. If you check their reviews on RV Park Reviews :: Home you will see they get great reviews.

Safe Travels!

Janie Q 07-12-2010 12:15 PM

Rafter J Bar Ranch - Home

We have stayed here on 2 different vacations.. We traveled all the way from Louisiana.. Very nice place

Janie Q

Splitrock 07-12-2010 12:17 PM

Howdy! Last I looked, 80 doesn't go to the Black Hills. 90 is a direct route through beautiful Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the beautiful state of South Dakota, with a quarter the traffic of 80. Lots of 90 has been re-built. I still have missing teeth from the last time I drove 80.

crazylev 07-12-2010 02:54 PM

Till,

I'd personally avoid 80. Lots of truckers at least when we came back from out west. 90 is pretty nice especially when you get to around la crosse.

J

fltlevel510 07-12-2010 03:53 PM

I stand corrected. It was I90 that we traveled through Spearfish. Hey I was close.

Randjg1 07-12-2010 04:21 PM

we took 90 last year and i dont recall anything unmanageable. Was really nice trip. Went from Minneapolis to mitchell and stayed at KOA overnight and then on in to Hill City. Stayed at the Rafter J Bar ranch. Was great and would stay there again. Loved how centrally located. Roomy, quiet classy operation.

Holzarbeiter 07-12-2010 05:04 PM

90 in SD is fine, if you have time drive through the Badlands it well worth the time.

till 07-14-2010 11:57 AM

I will look into the Rafter J bar. I guess 90 is the way. I have always taken 80 to the western edge of Iowa and then turned north.... I had avoided 90 because of the stories I have heard about the bad road conditions.

DPeakMD 07-14-2010 02:30 PM

We just came back from there. U.S. 20 across Nebraska is a lot of fun. Let's you make good time but still see the country close up. Not much traffic at all. Road surfaces were better than I-90.

Nothing against I-90, but it's just a boring drive across SD except for other stuff like the Corn Palace, Wall Drug and The Badlands.

dwightdi 07-14-2010 04:53 PM

Hi Ted. this is Dwight from Northern. We just got back from Gillette rally. We went out 90 to Rapid City. It is good all the way at the speed limit. We came back US 20 and took it slow through western Nebraska because of the concrete road slabs shifting. Then NE 12 and 16 for some state parks. Road was not too bad. Have fun with the kids.

Short563 07-14-2010 05:55 PM

I just completed that trip last week with my family. We drove from Chicago to Hill City, SD. We stayed at the Rafter J Bar Ranch - not only did we enjoy it, but I would recommend it! I think we drove past the Horse Thief and recall thinking to myself that is is not as centrally located as Rafter J Bar. Hill City is in the middle of everything. You will have to take I-90 for the most direct route to the Black Hills area. Don't miss the Badlands either - they were amazing! I-90 was is great shape with no major delays. Next we went up to Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND. Worth doing if you have the time. They call it the Badlands of ND. We took I-94 home and found it acceptable, but not as smooth as I-90.

Bluto 07-14-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short563 (Post 871660)
I just completed that trip last week with my family. We drove from Chicago to Hill City, SD. We stayed at the Rafter J Bar Ranch - not only did we enjoy it, but I would recommend it! I think we drove past the Horse Thief and recall thinking to myself that is is not as centrally located as Rafter J Bar. Hill City is in the middle of everything. You will have to take I-90 for the most direct route to the Black Hills area. Don't miss the Badlands either - they were amazing! I-90 was is great shape with no major delays. Next we went up to Teddy Roosevelt National Park in ND. Worth doing if you have the time. They call it the Badlands of ND. We took I-94 home and found it acceptable, but not as smooth as I-90.

Short, could you tell us more about Teddy's Park. I might make it a destination. Where did you stay and all that stuff? I'd like to hear more!

DPeakMD 07-15-2010 12:04 PM

We stayed at Custer's Gulch RV Park which is just outside the entrance to Custer State Park and close to the town of Custer. I can recommend the place highly. It's in a beautiful valley where Custer had reportedly made an encampment before moving on to his famous last battle. It's a smaller park, but the sites are relatively large. Most of them back up to a forested hillside.

crispyboy 07-15-2010 02:03 PM

When visiting the Badlands - take U.S 44 into Rapid City to Mount Rushmore. It is quicker and more scenic than I-90.
Our friends own this campground in Interior, SD. You won't meet a nicer folks. Our family first stayed here in 1977 and we keep coming back.
Welcome to the Badlands Budgethost Motel and Campground

Airtandem 07-15-2010 02:48 PM

Ted; Take I-90. Dana and I live about 2 miles off of 80. The bridge over the Mississippi is one lane each way. there is about 10 mi of construction where 80 crosses the river. West, the Iowa city and desmoines area is also under construction.
Will we see you at Pec in October?
Have a safe trip and Hi to all.
mike

Airtandem 07-15-2010 02:55 PM

Ted; The IOWA TAC rally is in DesMoines 7/30,31 and 8/1 at Salorville Resivoir. It will be in the Honey? area. I will be there. Site 185
mike