Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   fuel fill and vent problems (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/fuel-fill-and-vent-problems-63526.html)

projector 04-15-2010 11:05 AM

fuel fill and vent problems

So we've had our Argosy MH long enought to put fuel in it twice, at different stations. It doesn't want to take fuel unless it's at a painfully slow pace or the nozzle clicks off. I'm assuming it's a vent problem and air rushing out the fill neck is doing it. Where do I look for the vent?

thanks

moosetags 04-15-2010 11:21 AM

I have the same problem with one of my Suburbans. I have found that if I back the pump nozzle out about an inch, it runs fine without clicking off.

Brian

projector 04-15-2010 11:25 AM

I tried that allong with every possible angle with no luck.

kmpro 04-15-2010 12:22 PM

Fuel Fill and Vent Problems

My 310 is a Dog to try and fill too. I have to get just the right angle, and then I can fill full bore otherwise it will click off. Its a pain to find the right place.
Mike

projector 04-15-2010 02:07 PM

Does anyone know where to access the vent?

choctawmel 04-15-2010 07:27 PM

I have to barely put the end of the nozzle in the fill tube and set it at the slowest fill notch on the nozzle. The vent/fill hose is in plan sight on the Silver Bullet. I replaced the fill tube in an RV park after I noticed I was putting gas on the ground on one fill up.
mel

Smartstream 04-15-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projector (Post 838158)
Does anyone know where to access the vent?

I'm not sure on the Argosy but on our AS the vent goes into the fill hose fitting just inside the side of the coach. If you lay on the ground looking up you will see the hose. Make sure there are no kinks in the hose.

projector 04-28-2010 12:04 PM

So on mine the fill access is towards the front end of the tank, an elbo behind it, a hose running to the back of the tank, and another elbow going into the tank. A previous owner seems to be the problem. The hose is at least 6" too long and has a belly in it that I'm sure is full of gas Now it's a question of whether I can reach it well enough to shorten and reinstall the hose without dropping the tank.

GlenCoombe 04-28-2010 07:27 PM

Just a thought but why not try to shorten the vent hose where you can reach it. As it's just a vent / return you could splice with an appropriate insert without trying to reinvent the wheel. Next time you have to drop the tank you can do it right.

Mike Leary 04-28-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmpro (Post 838122)
My 310 is a Dog to try and fill too. I have to get just the right angle, and then I can fill full bore otherwise it will click off. Its a pain to find the right place.
Mike

It's a odd deal; some fuel stops, no problem on auto-fill, others I have to hand pump. It is the angle, though.

projector 04-29-2010 09:37 AM

I'm sure my problem (well my fuel vent problem) is the belly in the fill hose. It's severe enough to be full of fuel and won't let air pass. All the tank vents are on the other side. Hopefully I can reach it either from underneith or from the top through the cover under the dinette. thanks

projector 05-17-2010 06:38 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I finished the install over the weekend. Here are the before pictures. The sag in the hose wasn't as severe as shown because the hanging straps are loose. One was broken when I started, creating the sag. The hose is a marine exhaust/water hose and was clamped on to a pipe thread end on the tank end and stuffed into the fill neck at the other end. The copper tubing is a home-made fuel pick up tube for the generator.
Attachment 102702Attachment 102704

Attachment 102705Attachment 102711

Here are the after pictures. The inlet on the tank and the fill neck are 2 1/4" diameter. From NAPA I got 3 2 1/4" fuel fill hose elbows, 1-45 deg and 2-90 deg, and a piece of exhaust tubing. I elongated the hole in the floor to clear the curve of the elbow to keep it as high as possible. I wanted it to run more down hill but the tank end wouldn't allow it.

Attachment 102712Attachment 102713

Attachment 102714Attachment 102715

Last will be installing the sending unit I'm having rebuilt and reattaching the generator fuel line...then off the gas station to see the difference.

DaveFL 05-17-2010 03:43 PM

Loved the pictures, they help explain why after a fillup when I spilled fuel around the outside neck, I smelled fuel inside for two days.;-(

bkahler 05-24-2010 08:36 PM

Its interesting that so many are having trouble filling their tanks. I guess I'm fortunate that I can stick the nozzle in, set it and walk away if I want to. This is on our 310, I've never put gas in the Argosy yet so I don't have any idea whats going to happen there.

Brad