Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   LP Gas, Piping, Tanks & Regulators (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/)
-   -   What size line to run for LP? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287/what-size-line-to-run-for-lp-63459.html)

gmwelder86 04-13-2010 03:42 PM

What size line to run for LP?

I am redoing all the lp lines in our jewel trailer and I am unsure of what sized lines to run, the existing HW heater that was electric only is being replaced by a propane heater. The only appliances in the trailer that are propane are the stove/oven, panel ray heater, hot water heater and a propane light. I was planning on running everything 1/4 type k tubing, but now I am not sure if I should have the main line in 3/8"s and branch off in 1/4 to each fixture. I am just worried about under-sizing the system.

Thanks

HowieE 04-13-2010 03:52 PM

Most trailers have 3/4 line coming off the tanks and branching off with 3/8 to stove, water heater, and refg. 1/4 seams a bit small. I ran 3/8 to my small Olympic heater.

gmwelder86 04-13-2010 05:18 PM

That sounds about right, It just seems weird all the original lines were 1/4 from the regulator back. Mybe a 1/2" main and 3/8" branches might be better.

overlander63 04-13-2010 06:21 PM

Most trailers I've seen start with a 5/8" line to a junction, then 3/8" from there to each individual appliance. An exception would be, say, a gas lamp, which would be 1/4".

easyride 04-13-2010 07:02 PM

OK we are doing gas, not air conditioning,Gas lamp takes 1/8 inch. water heater is 1/4 ",yes your flares are outside pipe sizes,but the pipe is ID. Plumber Dave

Ganglin 04-13-2010 09:30 PM

Your original lines were as Terry mentions according to the early 70's diagram. 5/8 OD main line. 3/8 OD to oven, range, water heater and furnace. 1/4 OD to refrigerator and gas light.

bobfowler 04-29-2010 09:23 AM

We replaced the furnace, fridge, and range in our '72 Argosy 20. (Terry's old trailer) Since we spent all that cash on new appliances, I felt it kinda important that we go ahead and run all new copper tubing - not a fun job. Our trailer has a 5/8" line coming off the regulator with 3/8" tees that feed runs to each appliance. In addition to the new tubing, I installed new gas cocks so each branch can be shut off independantly. The original configuration didn't include a shut off for the range! It was a bit of a challenge running the line for the new fridge, but that was the only difficult hurdle.

BTW - for those who have problems making a good flare connection, this tool from Yellow Jacket makes the job REAL simple. A little spendy compared to the models in the home centers, but worth the price of admission.

Bob Sheridan 07-14-2010 04:54 PM

I'am restoring a 62 bambi and are repairing a leak in my main line

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyride (Post 837411)
OK we are doing gas, not air conditioning,Gas lamp takes 1/8 inch. water heater is 1/4 ",yes your flares are outside pipe sizes,but the pipe is ID. Plumber Dave

1/2 is to big and 5/8 to small for the two flairing tools I have tried what gives!:mad:

lpgasguy 07-26-2010 09:04 PM

Here's the deal with propane line...

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance. In most cases that is fine. I have a water heater, range, furnace, and refrigerator all on propane on my trailer. The key to gas line sizing the is load on the system and the length of the run. If you are unsure about line sizing and how to install, please seek out a propane tech for help. Undersized line can be dangerous because if there is not enough pressure you will not get an efficient burn which can produce excess carbon monoxide. Also, the appliances will soot and can cause damage, especially in the furnace where you can't see it without taking it apart.

Hope that helps everyone.

easyride 07-27-2010 09:10 AM

Propane size

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpgasguy (Post 876093)

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance. In most cases that is fine. I have a water heater, range, furnace, and refrigerator all on propane on my trailer. The key to gas line sizing the is load on the system and the length of the run. If you are unsure about line sizing and how to install, please seek out a propane tech for help. Undersized line can be dangerous because if there is not enough pressure you will not get an efficient burn which can produce excess carbon monoxide. Also, the appliances will soot and can cause damage, especially in the furnace where you can't see it without taking it apart.

Hope that helps everyone.

Don`t know where you are getting your info,it doesn`t really make much difference,but the National Fuel Gas code book refers to all sizes in I.D.,wouldn`t think a trailer would be any different. Dave

Kevo 10-20-2010 07:19 PM

FWIW, I just ran all new lines in my 65, Ran 1/2 rolled copper everywhere, but it did branch down to the original 3/8 inch for the Fridge and Water Heater. Pics on my page.

Splitrock 10-20-2010 07:31 PM

Mine is 5/8 to 3/8.

Aage 04-02-2011 08:17 AM

Looking to get agreement on the correct gasline standard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ganglin (Post 837476)
Your original lines were as Terry mentions according to the early 70's diagram. 5/8 OD main line. 3/8 OD to oven, range, water heater and furnace. 1/4 OD to refrigerator and gas light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpgasguy (Post 876093)

Propane line is measured in O.D. (outside diameter) Most trailers, including my Argosy 24, have a 5/8 OD (or 1/2 ID for plumbers) main line with 3/8 OD branching off to each appliance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyride (Post 876263)
Don`t know where you are getting your info,it doesn`t really make much difference,but the National Fuel Gas code book refers to all sizes in I.D.,wouldn`t think a trailer would be any different. Dave

I'm wondering if we can all agree on what the size should be?

Does this sound right?

5/8" OD main line (including off the tanks?) and 3/8" OD after the regulator, going to each appliance

Or do we need to use ID measurements, and if so, what would they be?

Thanks. I am replacing my furnace this year, and did my water heater last year, and I want to make sure that I put the proper size in.

Thanks!

Splitrock 04-02-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 972832)
5/8" OD main line (including off the tanks?) and 3/8" OD after the regulator, going to each appliance

This is what mine is.