Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   How about a monthly photo contest? (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/how-about-a-monthly-photo-contest-6341.html)

Rog0525 08-26-2003 11:16 AM

How about a monthly photo contest?

One of the things I enjoy most here is viewing other members' AS photos. A monthly contest would provide a convenient spot for those who wish to showcase their favorite AS pic and maybe spice up the site a bit.

A new thread could be started each month, i.e. "September 03 monthly photo contest".
Maybe a few of the moderators would volunteer to serve as judges (As if they don't have enough to do already)?
Prize? Free Airstreamforums member sticker?...OR...maybe a generous business owner would donate a promo item such as a baseball cap or T shirt?

Unlike the Airstream.com contest, perhaps honorable mention could be given to second and third place winners? We would also have the advantage of being able to view all of the entries.

Sounds like fun to me. Your thoughts?

Rog

hhuber 08-26-2003 12:22 PM

Sounds like you'll do anything to get the pics back up huh Rog?:D

Heidi

Rog0525 08-26-2003 12:29 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words Heidi. ;)

47WeeWind 08-26-2003 12:32 PM

Weekly photo contests

I suggest weekly photo contests but limit submissions to one photo per week per participant. A "week" runs from early a.m. Monday to midnight Sunday, by when votes must be cast for that week by Forum members. More contests, more photos, more participation and 52 winners each year. What's not to like?

Rog0525 08-26-2003 12:59 PM

Sounds good, Fred

But how would members cast their votes? Right on the same thread maybe?

Rog

garry 08-26-2003 03:34 PM

Could use the poll format where you get one vote and the results are tallied auto. Have a start time to vote and a cut off time with a way to put in a comment. I don't know about the once per week seems like a lot photos and a loss of intrest if it's to often.

I like the idea even if I don't have a digital camara.

Garry :D

Silvertwinky 08-26-2003 03:44 PM

I like the idea myself very much; however, I have a suggestion or two for the photos.

1. I think every one who post should try and keep the size down to within the size of the screen area so you wouldn't have to scroll to the side for viewing. ;) I enjoy a large picture but when you have to scroll to view part of it takes away from enjoying it. Most of the pictures I've posted have been about 400 X 300 pixels in size. I think you could go a little larger without edging off of the screen!

2. Could the voting be set up using a poll? If it could then it might have to be on the honor system that you would only vote once. Perhaps Organic Hosting Andy might have a suggesting for that.

[OR]

The votes could be PM'd to one or two moderators for counting, that way it would be fair.

3. Do the pictures always have to include your coach? :eek: I know I enjoy viewing scenic pictures very much. It would also be a great way for everyone to view different parts of the country where we live, etc....

Great idea I hope it works out!

InsideOut 08-26-2003 05:15 PM

Let's see if Andy has any ideas...

Quote:

Originally posted by garry
Could use the poll format where you get one vote and the results are tallied auto.
There are some limitations in polls...you can only set up 10 options to vote on at one time. This would limit the number of photos folks are allowed to vote on each cycle/month.
Quote:

Originally posted by silvertwinky
The votes could be PM'd to one or two moderators for counting, that way it would be fair.
To manually tally them would we cumbersome for the moderator IMHO, I sure don't want that job!!!
Quote:

Originally posted by silvertwinky
If it could then it might have to be on the honor system that you would only vote once.
The polls are automatically set up so you can only vote once...

Don't get me wrong...I like the idea, I just don't know how it would all work.

Shari :)

Rog0525 08-26-2003 06:23 PM

Re: digital camera

Quote:

I like the idea even if I don't have a digital camara.
Garry, film can be developed on prints or loaded onto a floppy disk. I think any 1 hour photo shop can do this. My local Rite-Aid drug store has a self serve Kodak photocopier where you can copy photo prints to a floppy. A digital camera isn't a must but they sure are handy in today's high tech society.

Rog

Silver City 08-26-2003 07:45 PM

Phto contest ...

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaos a weekly contest by subject matter to help limit the entries.

Airstream parts,
Sunsets
Views on the road
Vintahe B & W photos
Artsy photos
Rallies
Etc.

norbert 08-27-2003 03:46 AM

Hey!
anybody want to lend me a camera? ya see i just bought this moneypit( i think ill use that for my a/s name) and i cant afford to buy one.......:p :p :p
norby