Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream Trailer Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/)
-   -   1955 Commodore Vanderbilt (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142/1955-commodore-vanderbilt-61682.html)

Jabba 02-27-2010 05:17 PM

1955 Commodore Vanderbilt

2 Attachment(s)
After trying for years to nail down the model our trailer, we've finally succeeded. We recently won an Ebay auction for a dealer handout for our trailer. It's official, it's a 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt. This is the first piece of literature we've uncovered for it. It's nice to finally know and not be guessing if it was a Liner or a Sovereign or... Now it would be nice to figure out how many of this model were made.

2vets 02-27-2010 05:29 PM

Wow- I know it is only 30 feet long but it looks about 60 feet to me! Went into your images- you have a beautiful airstream! The interior is fabulous!

Aage 02-27-2010 09:06 PM

Nice to have that document. And I took a peek at your photos, what a beautiful trailer you have!

Yes, first thing I was going to say was that it might have been an early Sov, but the kitchen is sort of flipped about a bit.

Does it still have the oil/butane heating unit? I'm guessing that got changed out at some point...

VERY nice unit. Lots of windows for a '50s TT. Any chance you could post more photos of the rear bath? The only one that's there is a bit blurry.

Thanks! :D

Jabba 02-28-2010 08:46 PM

Thank you for the compliments, it isn't perfect, but a very nice as found or original unit. It has the original, propane furnace up front, and an auxillary heater (added in 60's) in the bath that needs work (don't know why they needed that : ) ) There are pictures at Vintage Airstream Home look under '55 Sovereign, ser. O5064. I'll try and take some more asap. It does have a nice number windows, very "airy".

CanoeStream 03-02-2010 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason, we are still trying to get more detailed historical input but I want to park a fair amount of information I've been able to dig up.

A friend/partner in Airstreams and earlier ventures (1, 2, 3*) with Wally was Neil Vanderbilt, the great grandson of the actual 'Commodore' Vanderbilt. There seem to have been several Vanderbilt trailers. Compare Neil's likeness at the photo in the first link with the following photo of Wally and apparently Neil Vanderbilt. (This Airstream is probably a 1952 Liner -- here and from post credited under the photo)

Attachment 97217
[image posted by jbond at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f349...tml#post528483 ]

Is that more than just a Wally Hatch? Also note Wally's & Neil Vanderbilt's signatures on the trailer side above "World Traveling Land Liner." This two-door unit seems to be a custom. PeeWee has said Wally never gave it a number IIRC. (more images of this unit linked later in post)

Jason's Commodore Vanderbilt dealer handout shows a rear lav/tub with mid twin beds. Airstream's archived specs shows a mid lav (no tub), rear twin bed arrangement for the '55 Commodore Vanderbilt. This part of the specs doesn't help settle the Commodore Vanderbilt / SOTR which-was-which question -- but it looks rather simplified. Again from the same Airstream 1955 specs source is this description and no mention of the Commodore Vanderbilt:
SOVEREIGN OF THE ROAD -- Largest of the INTERNATIONALS, this is a big tandem trailer with millionaire conveniences. You can tow this luxury trailer with you easily, anywhere you wander, provided you have a car in the Cadillac class (we took one over the worst roads in Mexico). In the Sovereign you will find every comfort you ever dreamed of in a travel trailer. Divides into two oversized rooms. Plushily self-contained.
And it says the bathroom has a tub and shower.

RJ Dial's site calls them Liner "Sovereign of the Road" models for 1955-1958 and just SOTR for 1959-1960.

RJ Dial's site for the 1955 30' indicates serial numbers O-5043 to O-5075 were set aside for these units. The #2 trailer on his webpage has no designation as a Commodore Vanderbilt or SOTR -- and there aren't enough interior pictures to understand the floorplan. [Jabba has O-5064]

Further discussions from the VACList (use your ctrl-F & search Vanderbilt to find multiple mentions up and down the first page):
VACList Digest V3 #255
Re: [VACList] "Commodore Vanderbilt"
Re: [VACList] "Commodore Vanderbilt"

Other notable mentions:
Another photo of trailer shown at top of this post (credited to the estate of Helen Byam Schwamborn): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...tml#post769557

Posts 10-12 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f492...ere-47715.html

Is this what happened to the Neil Vanderbilt 'World Traveling Land Liner?' -- Commodore*Airstream*Trailer

The hope: I'm messaging a couple of our more historically oriented members and hope for their comments. Open questions are:
  1. How different were the '55 Commodore Vanderbilts from the '55 30' Liner SOTR?
  2. Could one have ordered either one or the other? Or did the factory completely transition to Liner SOTR at some point?
  3. Any clue on how many produced of each? [possible numbers adding up to 33 units]

* credit to PeeWee Schwamborn & sierranevadaairstreams.org

dlx25225 03-02-2010 08:49 AM

55 Commodore Vanderbilt #O-5075

I purchased this trailer in 2007 after seeing it sitting in a field near my home. The owner had just brought it home from where he had been using it as a hunting camp for the last 15 years. Sadly it needs a lot of work :sad: Exterior is in pretty good condition.......the interior needs major attention. The layout is a little different from the one pictured. The kitchen is reversed with the stove on the curb side. The rear bath has a curb side corner shower. It is a park model. I contacted Fred Coldwell soon after the purchase and he sent us information to help us to identify this trailer.

CanoeStream 03-02-2010 10:26 AM

Interesting... This seems to imply that they built Commodore Vanderbilts up to the end of the serial number sequence.

Silverwanabe 03-02-2010 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,

Here is a brochure from the AS website for the 55 CVB and
it was stamped "cancelled".

I guess it was not put in production?

Another AS mystery.

PINKBIKE 03-02-2010 12:26 PM

Jabba,was this the trailer that was in a barn over in mancelona ? I heard it was like a time capsule inside I.E all the old owners clothes and canned goods,etc... is this the right trailer or am I confused as usual ?

easyride 03-02-2010 12:27 PM

There is a post card on ebay of the Commodore,with all the writing on the side if you are interested.
Dave

Jabba 03-02-2010 01:28 PM

Canoestream, WOW! Thank You for posting all that info, there is quite a bit there that I have missed, glad you put it in this thread. I appreciate you taking the time to unearth all that.

dlx25255, do you have any pictures of your trailer? Curious to see the corner tub layout.

Rollerboy, nope you aren't confused, this is the one and same. Everything was in it and in good shape, down to the owners socks and boxers, no holes :blink:. The blue beret and cyclo were bonuses.

Silverhobby 03-02-2010 03:21 PM

Hi Jason and Veronica. What a time capsule your trailer is. I look forward to hearing more about it. How long have you owned it?

Jabba 03-02-2010 06:31 PM

We bought it in '03. The link to the following thread has some as found pics if interested.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...eign-3168.html

Silverhobby 03-03-2010 07:33 AM

Thanks for the link to this thread, Jason and Veronica J. It is a beautiful trailer. I hope that I can see it in person some day.

Ken J 03-03-2010 08:09 AM

Well hey Jason - long time no talk to - - - hope all is well - VERY cool trailer - but you know I've always known that.!

Ken J.

dlx25225 03-03-2010 03:37 PM

photos of SN O-5075

4 Attachment(s)
Jason, here are photos of my 55 CV including one of the corner tub/shower.
David

Jabba 03-03-2010 04:14 PM

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing those of brother or sister 5075. Looks like a solid candidate to restore, exterior looks straight.

Other than the tub being different, similar rig. Do you have one of the long tube exposed shower heads or no? (we are missing our shower head) Is your fridge a gas/electric or electric only? (I'd like to locate an original for ours.) Where is your water tank/fill located? Up front?

Like to hear more about yours to compare notes.

NorCal Bambi 03-03-2010 05:16 PM

What a great trailer! Now my 55 Flying Cloud Project and I have a big brother to look up to.
Thanks for the post Don

dlx25225 03-03-2010 06:27 PM

shower head & fridge in 55 CV

4 Attachment(s)
Here are photos of the shower head & arm and the fridge. We think the fridge is electric as this trailer is a park model. Also a photo of the water and gas connections. The toilet is a drop to daylight. There are no holding tanks or fresh water fill. There are lines to go to the small propane tanks sitting up front. We don't know a lot about the history of this trailer other than the 2 stickers on it. The yellow sticker in the front window is a mobile home license from Lexington Co. in SC. Another sticker is Charlotte Mobile Home Sales in Charlotte, NC. ..............David

BradS 03-03-2010 07:48 PM

The 30' trailers are beautiful. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jabba 03-04-2010 01:29 PM

David,

Thank you for sharing more pics. I saw the shower head and went "Ah Hah". That is different from the other ones I have seen. I am not so sure on being able to find one like that. Are the water connections under the streetside bed? The electric water heater on ours works VERY well. We can turn it off at night and still have hot water in the morning.

dlx25225 03-07-2010 12:57 PM

55 Commodore Vanderbilt

The water connections are streetside. Your CV is in way better condition than ours. The original hot water heater with its cloth covered electric cord is still there. However I would not feel safe with any of the electric wiring in the trailer............... David

dlx25225 03-17-2010 08:42 PM

I re-read your question. Sorry my answer was incomplete. The water connection is under the bed on the streetside as is the water heater. David

Sugarfoot 03-20-2010 11:39 PM

Love this stuff!

Jabba, I've drooled over the pics of your rig on Dial's site long before I found my 30' SOTR, and still continue to drool. You have a wonderful trailer. The brochure you found on eBay, one I've never seen before, is a dead ringer. Congrats on such a cool find! It's like being validated to find the model and exact layout of one's early trailer in print on Airstream sales literature.

CanoeStream, your collection of info is fascinating. There are so many mysteries to these older coaches. I wonder if we will ever find all the answers? Was the CV a transition trailer between those like wkerfoot's and A-Merry-Can's '54 Liners and the the SOTRs? or were they concurrently built at some point?

Just curious, Jabba and dix25225, are your trailers each Ohio trailers? I would guess this to be true if an O precedes your S/N. David, thanks for posting your photos. It's always a treat to compare these older 30 footers.

Short563 07-16-2010 11:54 PM

I especially like these 30 footers from the 1950's. Do you any of you have any suggestions about how to locate one that is for sale? My go it find a fixer upper that I can restore.

wkerfoot 07-17-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short563 (Post 872537)
I especially like these 30 footers from the 1950's. Do you any of you have any suggestions about how to locate one that is for sale? My go it find a fixer upper that I can restore.

Watch ebay. craigs list, Tin Can Tourists classifieds, Vintage Airstream List and VAC classifieds. There was a 1954 Liner on Ebay a while back and I found my Double Door Liner on the VAL.

Bill

Short563 07-17-2010 03:23 PM

Thank you for your help Bill! Already spotted a 1962 SOTR for $3200.

Aage 07-18-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Short563 (Post 872700)
Thank you for your help Bill! Already spotted a 1962 SOTR for $3200.

Say, that's a nice one, it still has its jalousie windows on the side they show. Wish they hadn't taken out the interior panels, and blue isn't really my colour, but it does look nice.

StevieB 11-02-2017 06:11 AM

1955 Commodore Vanderbilt

Well, It has been seven (7) years since a post has been "posted" on the Commodore Vanderbilt. The torch has been passed by Jason, and we are now the caretakers of this time capsule. We were just wondering if ever another one has surfaced, ..... anywhere. As far as we have been able to search, this is the only one known in existence. The search is on.

66Overlander 11-02-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2029316)
Well, It has been seven (7) years since a post has been "posted" on the Commodore Vanderbilt. The torch has been passed by Jason, and we are now the caretakers of this time capsule. We were just wondering if ever another one has surfaced, ..... anywhere. As far as we have been able to search, this is the only one known in existence. The search is on.

Hi Stevie B,
I never got a chance to see the Commodore Vanderbilt when Jason owned it, although I communicated with him via email a long time ago.

I am also from Michigan and would love to see it some day. From the photos, it definitely looks like you got a very rare Airstream in amazing condition.

To address your question, at the current time I know of only one other surviving 30' Commodore Vanderbilt, although some may still be waiting to be rediscovered. Higher in this thread, a man named David from North Carolina (user name "dlx25225") says he has a Commodore Vanderbilt S/N O-5075.

We do not currently know how many were actually produced, but Ohio built 30-footers were from about serial number O-5032 thru about O-5064 (differing from previous claims of O-5043 thru O-5075), so you may have the last 1955 30-footer built, out of about 32 total. Airstream did not keep exact records of model year serial number breakpoints back then, so I am making my best guesses on the starting and ending S/Ns. How many of the 32 were Commodore Vanderbilts vs. other models (Liner, Salon Liner, Sovereign of the Road) is unknown, but probably very few.

What I can tell you is that I am aware that at least a third Commodore Vanderbilt that was built, but from photo evidence it has obvious small differences from yours. That other Commodore Vanderbilt was the Airstream that Wally Byam personally used on the 1955 Mexico and 1955 Eastern Canada Caravans, so your Commodore is in good company.

BTW, your Commodore was delivered on 9-9-1955 to Warner Trailer Sales in Pontiac, Michigan. Wally's was earlier, delivered in December 1954. I will opine that David's Commodore is probably actually a 1956 trailer because of it's higher S/N and delivery date some time after 11-23-55.

StevieB 11-03-2017 06:45 AM

Still Searching for Another 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt

Joe,
Thanks for the reply and the additional info. From the pictures posted in the past, it appears that David's 0-0075 has quite a different layout than ours. Ours matches up with the 1955 Airstream Commodore Vanderbilt Sales Flyer to a "T." Also, while going through it yesterday, I found tags on both of the original twin Airstream Mattresses which have a deliver date of 9/2/1955 which matches up with your 9/9/55 delivery to Warner Trailer Sales in Pontiac, MI.
Should you ever wish to take an up close and personal look, an open invitation is yours. Please PM me and we will set a date and time.
Regards,
StevieB

66Overlander 11-03-2017 09:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah, upon a deeper look, David's trailer looks like it might just be a standard Sovereign of the Road from the floor plan and bath room, so maybe I shouldn't have counted it. Tough to be sure, because I do not believe most Airstreams had model name badges in 1955 and floor plans were still being tweaked regularly by Airstream.

Your Airstream was obviously Ohio built and the brochure that matches it's floor plans was issued by Ohio I'm sure.

The Commodore Vanderbilt brochure on the Airstream company web site shows a different floor plan than yours - a rear bedroom:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...0ebff457d1.pdf

From various detail, I can tell that was a California built trailer, so we can be sure that at least one trailer that Airstream considered a Commodore Vanderbilt was built in California, but it had obvious differences from yours.

I am attaching three of the best photos I have of Wally's Commodore Vanderbilt on the 1955 Mexico Caravan (credited to Life magazine). You can see Wally in one or two of the photos, and his dog ("Chica" I think). The window configuration matches your trailer and this trailer was definitely built in Ohio.

You can see one of Wally's personal modifications on his Commodore, dual electrical inputs, one for 110V AC and one for 12V DC, which he has connected to a generator in the trunk of his car. I've seen that detail on photos of other of Wally's personal trailer's, but never on a standard production Airstream. Obviously, a new thing he was testing that never made it to production.

StevieB 11-12-2017 07:37 PM

Airstream Dealership

Joe,
By chance do you have the address for Warner Trailer Sales in Pontiac, Michigan?
Thanks,
StevieB

66Overlander 11-12-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2033866)
Joe,
By chance do you have the address for Warner Trailer Sales in Pontiac, Michigan?
Thanks,
StevieB

Hi Stevie,
Our first Airstream (a 1966 Overlander) was sold by Cal Warner to Lorrie's parents (we bought it back many years later). Lorrie's mom has pointed out the location of the sales lot to us. It was on W. Huron St. (M-59), on the north side of the road, at least as of 1966

EDIT: Found an address as a certified Airstream Service Center in 1966:

Warner Trailer Sales, Inc.
3098 W. Huron Street
Pontiac, MI 48054

mountaindent 03-18-2018 07:15 PM

Were you guys in Hiawassee, Ga this weekend? I briefly toured a Commodore Vanderbilt this weekend during an open house event at the Mountain Air Airstream gathering. Nice people and a wonderful model of Airstream.

StevieB 03-19-2018 11:20 AM

Thanks for the Kind Comment

Yes, that was us. It was very nice meeting you too!!!

Lumatic 03-19-2018 11:54 AM

Re: Post 32
For trivia mavens. The kayak looking boat in the photo I believe is a Klepper. It is similar to a Fol-bot which I did have. They both have models which are dissassembled for travel and they reassembled for use.

Baby Zeppelin 03-19-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 2078455)
Re: Post 32
For trivia mavens. The kayak looking boat in the photo I believe is a Klepper. It is similar to a Fol-bot which I did have. They both have models which are dissassembled for travel and they reassembled for use.

Yes, that is a Klepper. You can tell by the little pennant emblem sewn onto the rear deck canvas.

I have one that my father bought in Germany in 1968. Except for the hull material getting kind of tatty it still works fine. New ones cost upwards of $3000 now, I think my dad paid the equivalent of a bit over $100 back then.

StevieB 03-20-2018 07:46 AM

Commodore Vanderbilt in Key West

1 Attachment(s)
Key West 2018

StevieB 03-20-2018 07:49 AM

Commodore Vanderbilt in Cedar Key

1 Attachment(s)
Cedar Key 2018
Commodore Vanderbilt on the right, my Bro-In-Law's 1964 Overlander on the left.

StevieB 06-10-2018 05:49 PM

Another Commodore Vanderbilt has been FOUND!

Should anybody be interested in purchasing a 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt, there is one that just has popped up in Airstream Forum Classifieds today! I sure would like to know the history and serial number. Now, we have two real Commodores now known to be in true aluminum skin!!! The layout is very similiar, except this has only one bed near the bathroom, while I have twins in the area. If this is yours, please private message me so we can talk.

Regards,
StevieB

66Overlander 06-10-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2113226)
Should anybody be interested in purchasing a 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt, there is one that just has popped up in Airstream Forum Classifieds today! I sure would like to know the history and serial number. Now, we have two real Commodores now known to be in true aluminum skin!!! The layout is very similiar, except this has only one bed near the bathroom, while I have twins in the area. If this is yours, please private message me so we can talk.

Regards,
StevieB

Another Ohio built Commodore! I can't rule out that it could be the one Wally Byam personally used on the 1955 Mexico and Eastern Canada Caravans, but it does have several differences that could have been added later.

wkerfoot 06-10-2018 08:45 PM

Stevie,

Will you be in Salem this year?

Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2113226)

Regards,
StevieB

StevieB 06-11-2018 04:42 PM

Salem?

Bill,
I will not be attending this year.
Regards,
StevieB

StevieB 06-11-2018 04:49 PM

To All: Just an Update

I have spoken to the gentleman that is the current owner of the Commorode Vanderbilt that is for sale, and he has informed me that it is Serial Number 5042. Our Serial Number is 5062. Accordingly, it is believed that the group of serial numbers for 30' 1955 Trailers range from 5042 to 5062 or 5075. This group is for both Commodore Vanderbilts and SORT Trailers. Joe, did I get this information right? If not, please advise the corrects info. By the way, the one currently for sale just might be Wally's personal "Caravan" trailer.

Thanks,
StevieB

66Overlander 06-12-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2113591)
I have spoken to the gentleman that is the current owner of the Commorode Vanderbilt that is for sale, and he has informed me that it is Serial Number 5042. Our Serial Number is 5062. Accordingly, it is believed that the group of serial numbers for 30' 1955 Trailers range from 5042 to 5062 or 5075. This group is for both Commodore Vanderbilts and SORT Trailers. Joe, did I get this information right? If not, please advise the corrects info. By the way, the one currently for sale just might be Wally's personal "Caravan" trailer.

Thanks,
StevieB

Hard to say for sure what the exact model year breakpoints were in the early to mid 1950s since the model year was not encoded in the serial number and there is not an exact calendar date that the breakpoint occurred. But the late 1950s, the breakpoints become clearer. Assuming that the model year change occurred in mid September back then ( it's mid-May now), the start of Ohio built 30-footers was probably about O-5037, give or take. The last Ohio built 30-footer appears to be O-5064, because in a rare stroke of luck O-5065 is recorded as a 1956 model. In the other hand O-5066 was built before O-5065, so it might be the last 1955. It seems that during model changeover, there was sometimes some intermixing and not a clean breakpoint back then.

chilipepper 08-26-2018 12:45 PM

Commodore Vanderbilt... what do you think?

5 Attachment(s)
So this followed me home yesterday. Serial number 5125. Whale tail = California? Layout very CV from the 'blue brochure'!! I would love someone with more historical knowledge to chime in! Thanks!

p.s. sorry about the sideways photos.. not sure how to rotate them.

66Overlander 08-26-2018 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chilipepper (Post 2147877)
So this followed me home yesterday. Serial number 5125. Whale tail = California? Layout very CV from the 'blue brochure'!! I would love someone with more historical knowledge to chime in! Thanks!

p.s. sorry about the sideways photos.. not sure how to rotate them.

Hi Ryan,
In my opinion, you have the first "proven" California built 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt. As you noted, the floor plan exactly matches the one in the California Commodore Vanderbilt brochure (except for the kitchen counter extension forward of the oven, that could have been added later, since it's laminate top is a separate piece). Because that brochure is marked cancelled, it is possible that only a single prototype was built. In that case, that would be the trailer you have. Even if a few more were built before the model was cancelled, you have a very rare trailer that should be preserved rather than modernized, in my opinion. In total, 30-footers were pretty rare in 1955, and I am sure most that were built were not Commodores.

This brings the number of known Commodore Vanderbilts to 3 total: 2 from Ohio and 1 from California. The rumored Commodore Vanderbilt that was supposed to attend the WBCCI International Rally in Salem, Oregon in June never showed up. Perhaps it never existed and the rumor mill just got confused.

chilipepper 08-27-2018 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Joe and I appreciate the information!! I was really trying to figure out what I had. I originally thought it was a 53-54 liner based on page 17 of the 1954 brochure in the Airstream archive.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...a4ab3b81dd.pdf

It is very close but the street side windows are not quite right and then 3 roof vents and round marker lights were inconsistent.

Based on the title, which I didn't put much faith in, it says 32 foot, 1956 but other than the serial number plate there are no other markings on the trailer to identify it. I need to check in and around cabinets for factory markings yet. I will try and get as much information as possible from the previous owner but I'm pretty sure it sat in a tree row for about 30-40 years.

Here is a photo of the street side to show the window configuration matching the photos in the brochure you posted. Please disregard the tape as I didn't want to lose any important parts on the 400 plus mile recovery.

It would be nice to find manuals or appliance information, etc.

Thanks!

66Overlander 08-28-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilipepper (Post 2148494)
Thanks Joe and I appreciate the information!! I was really trying to figure out what I had. I originally thought it was a 53-54 liner based on page 17 of the 1954 brochure in the Airstream archive.

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...a4ab3b81dd.pdf

It is very close but the street side windows are not quite right and then 3 roof vents and round marker lights were inconsistent.

Based on the title, which I didn't put much faith in, it says 32 foot, 1956 but other than the serial number plate there are no other markings on the trailer to identify it. I need to check in and around cabinets for factory markings yet. I will try and get as much information as possible from the previous owner but I'm pretty sure it sat in a tree row for about 30-40 years.

Here is a photo of the street side to show the window configuration matching the photos in the brochure you posted. Please disregard the tape as I didn't want to lose any important parts on the 400 plus mile recovery.

It would be nice to find manuals or appliance information, etc.

Thanks!

Interesting - This may take more study and I may eventually change my opinion.

Your windows look more like the style used from 1955 thru 1958 in California and match the the California Commodore brochure, so I don't think you have a 1954 Liner even though the floor plan is similar. The serial number suggests it is a 1955 or early 1956, but we don't know the exact breakpoints. I think I see enough streetside window placement differences to say you do not have the Commodore Brochure trailer.

I am starting to wonder if there really is no such thing as a California Commodore Vanderbilt, since the 1954 Liner brochure floorplan is almost identical. Perhaps Airstream California considered naming all it's 1955 30-footers Commodore Vanderbilts and then changed their mind, thus marking the brochure as "cancelled". Maybe your trailer is just the "standard" 1955 California 30-footer floorplan.

This is in difference to the Ohio Commodore Vanderbilts that seemed to have a floorplan that was "unique" . . . or at least different from other 30-footers it built.

Food for thought for sure. More study of rare 1955 30-footets may be required as they turn up to really determine the answer.

StevieB 08-28-2018 09:29 AM

Ca cv / ca sotr

Good Morning Joe and Ryan,
Ryan, what city or state did it come from? Any history to share?

Upon a comparison with the CA CV Brochure, it looks very similiar with a variation in the window placement.

Would you be able to post a photo of the Serial Number Plate? Although not an expert on my end, for sure, the serial number research and comparison with other trailers layouts and their serial numbers and year on their title suggests a 1956 SOTR. No matter what, CV or SOTR, you found a very nice trailer that deserves restoration. It sure would be neat if it was a CA CV. Joe will be the Man who can figure all this stuff out.

Should you want to compare anything between trailers, please reach out/PM me. Congrats on your find!
Regards,
StevieB

chilipepper 08-30-2018 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieB (Post 2148628)
Good Morning Joe and Ryan,
Ryan, what city or state did it come from? Any history to share?

Upon a comparison with the CA CV Brochure, it looks very similiar with a variation in the window placement.

Would you be able to post a photo of the Serial Number Plate? Although not an expert on my end, for sure, the serial number research and comparison with other trailers layouts and their serial numbers and year on their title suggests a 1956 SOTR. No matter what, CV or SOTR, you found a very nice trailer that deserves restoration. It sure would be neat if it was a CA CV. Joe will be the Man who can figure all this stuff out.

Should you want to compare anything between trailers, please reach out/PM me. Congrats on your find!
Regards,
StevieB

Thanks for the information and I very much appreciate the expertise. It is pretty confusing when looking between the brochures and the archive at photos of the various 30' options! There is not a lot of concrete information between the trailers and there seems to be a good amount of variance from one to another. I would be interested to see what the total production was for each trailer from each plant!

As for the trailer that I found, it was recovered from a farmstead in eastern SD. According to the previous owner it was stuck in the tree row for the last 30-40 years and basically spent those years as a storage shed. I've attached a photo of the serial number plate. I also attached a photo of the roof for further comparison.

I do agree that the windows take away the possibility of being the trailer on the blue brochure. The street side windows on my trailer are all equal distance apart and the drip caps virtually touch each other on all four windows.

I'm still just trying to weed out options based on photos out there and 1956 SOTR seems to have the door shifted towards the wheels (mid trailer). However, that doesn't account for the variance in factories. I still tend to find the most similarities with a CA CV but either way it is an exciting find for me personally!

Thanks again for all the sleuthing and help with trying to figure this out!