Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Return to the Mothership (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/return-to-the-mothership-60030.html)

BillTex 01-07-2010 11:55 AM

Return to the Mothership

Would like to hear from those that have been there/done this; we need to re-clearcoat and a few other odds/ends.

* If you had to do it again; would you return to the factory or go with one of the "after-market" restorers?

* I can think of a few advantages of going back to the factory...any advantage going after market?

*Bottom line; would you go with factory refurb again?

*If you went after-market, would you go this route again?

* Other advice for either route?

* Cost comparisons?

* In either case, did you have to have your AS visualy/physicaly inspected prior to obtaining a quote? Or could some estimate be arrived at via email/pics/phone?

* How accurate was the estimate?

Thanx, Bill

overlander64 01-07-2010 03:05 PM

Return to the Mothership

When I had my Overlander refurbished in 2003, I went with two well-known independent contractors for the vast majority of the work. The exterior restoration was handled by P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio; and I am as pleased with the result today as when the project was just completed. For the interior refurbishment, I went with Fowler RV Interiors in Symsonia, Kentucky; and am just as pleased with the results today as when the project was completed. I was so pleased with the results on the interior of the Overlander that I had the Fowlers refurbish the interior of my Minuet in 2004.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

TomW 01-07-2010 03:15 PM

You'd think they're full service, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex (Post 791090)
Would like to hear from those that have been there/done this; we need to re-clearcoat ...

Does the factory offer re-clearcoating? I thought they left polishing & clearcoating up to others.

Tom

Texas Jan 01-07-2010 07:39 PM

We are thinking of redoing out clear coat also, live near Houston, Tx. Sure would like to hear if anyone around us has had an experience with this. Currently we are removing the clearcoat on our 75 model and will be wanting to redo soon.

overlander64 01-07-2010 07:45 PM

Plasticoat?

Greetings!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Jan (Post 791270)
We are thinking of redoing out clear coat also, live near Houston, Tx. Sure would like to hear if anyone around us has had an experience with this. Currently we are removing the clearcoat on our 75 model and will be wanting to redo soon.

Technically, the coating on our Airstreams is referred to as Plasticoat. Plasticoat first appeared in the late 1950s and had become an option in the 1960s -- and a standard feature by the mid/late-1960s. Over the years, it has had a number of different formulations, but it is far removed from the typical automotive clear coats as it has plasticizers that allow for the expansion and contraction of the aluminum. There are only a few shops capable of handling the specialized application of the true Plasticoat. P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio is among the oldest of these firms; and was the firm that I chose when it came time to polish and plasticoat my Overlander. I have been totally satisfied with the results, and the finish is still quite nice today after more than 7 years of use.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

BillTex 01-08-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 791131)
Does the factory offer re-clearcoating? I thought they left polishing & clearcoating up to others.

Tom

Can anyone confirm that?
I would have thought that would be one of their primary services?

Bill

loudruff 01-08-2010 12:05 PM

P & s

From the experiences of others and listening around the ol' campfire, most folks that have had work done at P & S think their work is superior. We need to have our Excella done, and we will go and see them for a quote. Don't think that the Mothership is set up to do the plastic coat in the prime way that we have heard that P & S is. They specialize. It seems to be the place to have it done right.

Antique Pedaler 01-08-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomW (Post 791131)

Tom

The factory put a new clearcoat on our '99 in '01 under warrantee because of peeling. It took two weeks to complete. At the time they said the new clearcoat would probably start peeling withing a year which it did. They said they were under EPA constraints in the materials they could use, which caused the peeling. They thought I would get a better long lasting clearcoat from an aftermarket company not so constrained. But, of course, I would have had to pay for it. This was 9 years ago and perhaps new technology has changed things. Since then I've talked with at least one person who paid some $3,000 for an aftermarket clearcoat.

crispyboy 01-08-2010 12:37 PM

Whether it be the factory or aftermarket - they all must comply with EPA constraints.
Ever get an estimate to have an old car painted? Not an elcheapo Maaco enamel paint job with no prep, a real paint job that will last. Big money to have this done.
Apparently P & S has a large following so it would be worthwhile to give them a call.

BillTex 01-08-2010 02:13 PM

Will P&S fix dings, reseal joints, etc or are they strictly "clear coat"? Tough to tell from their website...what are their capabilities?

Tx, Bill

mutcth 01-08-2010 02:29 PM

They are a full restoration shop - we stopped there this year to look at a few Caravels they had in stock. They seemed very straight-forward and honest, but I haven't had occasion to use their services.

Tom

BillTex 01-08-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillTex (Post 791600)
Will P&S fix dings, reseal joints, etc or are they strictly "clear coat"? Tough to tell from their website...what are their capabilities?

Tx, Bill

I guess what I am getting at is; one stop shopping...can P & S provide this?

Tx, Bill

TomW 01-08-2010 03:33 PM

Not to be a smartass, but perhaps you could call & ask?

Tom

hampstead38 01-08-2010 05:12 PM

P&S is doing work on the Overlander. We're waiting for "the reveal" when we pick it up this month. Steve Ruth has been a pleasure to work with and I don't think there's anything on an Airstream restoration their shop couldn't handle. And if there was something they didn't feel comfortable with, I think they'd be honest enough to tell you.