Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/)
-   -   Marinco Electrical Connection (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/marinco-electrical-connection-58288.html)

Roadrunner 11-08-2009 05:26 AM

Marinco Electrical Connection
 
Has anyone installed the marinco electrical inlet on their Airstream. If so, is there a junction box between the outlet and main circuit breaker where you tie in? I'd like to make a clean electrical connection. Should I stay with the 30 amp? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob

markdoane 11-08-2009 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think there should be a junction box, but I'm not familiar with the '78 Ambassador.

If you put in a 50a inlet you will need more room to mount the inlet, heavier wire to the main breaker, and the fittings are more expensive. But you can run everything at once.

toastie 11-08-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane (Post 769050)
I don't think there should be a junction box, but I'm not familiar with the '78 Ambassador.

If you put in a 50a inlet you will need more room to mount the inlet, heavier wire to the main breaker, and the fittings are more expensive. But you can run everything at once.

I'm hooking up my Marinco today and finding out what a pain to run 30 amp wire from Marinco to breaker box, the pain is at the Marinco end, would you have any pictures of your hookup.

Toastie

markdoane 11-08-2009 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I added a 4x4 extension box to provide enough space behind the receptacle to turn the wires and head them up through 3/4" plastic conduit. I believe I used #6 Stranded THHN, mine is a 50a though, you could use #10AWG for a 30a.

Here's a closeup of the box, and a wider view with the box at top center.

toastie 11-08-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane (Post 769094)
I added a 4x4 extension box to provide enough space behind the receptacle to turn the wires and head them up through 3/4" plastic conduit. I believe I used #6 Stranded THHN, mine is a 50a though, you could use #10AWG for a 30a.

Here's a closeup of the box, and a wider view with the box at top center.

Smart, very smart.............thanks

albert 08-02-2016 09:04 AM

Can someone tell me what type of wire I buy to run from a Marineco inlet to the breaker box... 30amp? AND, is it OK to run it from the street side rear to the curb side middle where I have my breaker box? Does distance matter for this?

LASTLY! what wire do I run from breaker box to 12v batteries?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:

Originally Posted by markdoane (Post 769050)
I don't think there should be a junction box, but I'm not familiar with the '78 Ambassador.

If you put in a 50a inlet you will need more room to mount the inlet, heavier wire to the main breaker, and the fittings are more expensive. But you can run everything at once.


A W Warn 08-02-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert (Post 1829787)
>> snip <<
LASTLY! what wire do I run from breaker box to 12v batteries?

Thanks in advance!

DO NOT run any wire from the breaker box to a 12v battery. It might explode.

120v goes from the breaker to the converter (actually to a receptacle near the converter where the converter is plugged in)
12v comes out of the converter and goes to the battery.
Get someone to help you!!!

albert 08-02-2016 09:39 AM

Oops! sorry, I knew that but didnt type it correct. I do have someone coming to help, but wanted to learn on my own as well.

Do you know what gauge or type of wire I use for that connection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by A W Warn (Post 1829790)
DO NOT run any wire from the breaker box to a 12v battery. It might explode.

120v goes from the breaker to the converter (actually to a receptacle near the converter where the converter is plugged in)
12v comes out of the converter and goes to the battery.
Get someone to help you!!!


lewster 08-02-2016 10:16 AM

Airstream, along with many other RV manufacturers use ROMEX for all basic wiring.

I NEVER USE ROMEX, as I wire to ABYC marine standards ( as RVs should) and use 6 AWG marine cable for 50 amp AC circuits, 10 AWG for 30 amp AC circuits and 12 AWG for most 12 VDC circuits.

Cables from the batteries to your fuse block depend on the circuit length and carrying capacity that you require.


Lew Farber

Hittenstiehl 08-02-2016 10:44 AM

Small Hijack:

Lewster,

Could you please compile all your posts on this forum into one thread so we stand a better chance of finding all these hints when we're ready for this project.

Your handout from Vintage Trailer Academy is so scribbled full of side notes from us we'll be lucky to ever figure if out.

End hijack.

Jammer 08-02-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster (Post 1829821)
Airstream, along with many other RV manufacturers use ROMEX for all basic wiring.

I NEVER USE ROMEX, as I wire to ABYC marine standards ( as RVs should) and use 6 AWG marine cable for 50 amp AC circuits, 10 AWG for 30 amp AC circuits and 12 AWG for most 12 VDC circuits.

I've been using armored cable for 120v circuits, particularly where exposed to possible damage or when going through holes in aluminum.

lewster 08-02-2016 09:20 PM

After working on many large RVs with 50 amp service and that nasty, semi-solid THHN 'stranded' 6AWG cable (it is usually comprised 7 large strands, vs. several hundred 30AWG strands found in marine grade cable) over the last 16 years, the flexibility and ease of bending and working quality marine cable far outweighs any cost savings for big-box wire purchases.

I run thru thousands of feet of cable a year and would never dream of using anything but fine, multi-strand marine cable or similar welding cable. :D

albert 08-02-2016 09:42 PM

Where does one find this amazing wire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewster (Post 1830158)
After working on many large RVs with 50 amp service and that nasty, semi-solid THHN 'stranded' 6AWG cable (it is usually comprised 7 large strands, vs. several hundred 30AWG strands found in marine grade cable) over the last 16 years, the flexibility and ease of bending and working quality marine cable far outweighs any cost savings for big-box wire purchases.

I run thru thousands of feet of cable a year and would never dream of using anything but fine, multi-strand marine cable or similar welding cable. :D


lewster 08-02-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert (Post 1830162)
Where does one find this amazing wire?

Google 'marine cable' and many sources will pop up. West Marine is one, Waytek Wire another, Lawrence Marine Products another Ancor Products yet another.....there are many.

Your difficulty might be in buying less than full roll quantities. I have seen many sites that do sell marine wire by the foot in a variety of sizes.

I'm sure you will find pages full of sources. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.