Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   Allison to moho question (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/allison-to-moho-question-57711.html)

skid4u 10-21-2009 09:09 PM

Allison to moho question
 
Did you ever find out if there is an Allison with overdrive that does not require a computer? I want to put and OD transmission in my 87 Motorhome. I know old school bus Allisons can be had for a few hundred $$. But I can't find a model number to look for.

CanoeStream 10-21-2009 09:29 PM

Hi skid4u. I've got an '06 LBZ build Duramax/Allison. Somebody will know this better ... but I have heard that any year edition of the Allison is the same -- and intended for use across the spectrum from my 3/4-ton truck to commercial size vehicles. Allisons have a solid reputation and I'm not sure exactly where the current smart control lies - computer, Allison grade braking, etc.

Somebody might be able to tell you better what year/series would work with your situation.

Let's keep this thread alive! Answers anyone?

Diesel Phil 10-22-2009 09:04 AM

Allison ??????
 
Hi,94 A/s Classic uses MD 3060 6spd.w/ 5& 6th od,20000 GVW.Results in 1900rpm @60 mph.Yes it uses a computer & touch pad ,that works very well. Good luck with your project. Phil&Sandy Christmas Valley Oregon

HowieE 10-22-2009 10:54 AM

I would contact an Commercial Allison shop and ask them. Allison made transmissions long before computers. Most truck transmissions have the same bolt pattern to the engine.

An important question is does the converter lock and can it be locked in other than OD. The ability to lock the converter in a lower gear on long hills is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If I had not had that ability I would have lost the trans on one hill in Labrador. Climbed like a champ at 35 mph locked in second gear.

skid4u 10-23-2009 06:56 PM

Last information I have gotten is that Allison transmissions do not get the RPM signal from the engine. It comes from the transmission itself, therefore being self contained with a TCM,transmission control module, to control shifting. This module can be adjusted on the fly with some models ( as Diesel Phil)and all can be programmed, just not sure how yet. I know Allison dealers could do it. I will continue looking.

blacksheep 10-23-2009 09:19 PM

The TCM is a stand alone controller for the Allison tranny. The 1000 series has the lock up torque converter and overdrive and came along about 1999 or 2000. If you can get the serial number of a particular transmission you find it can be plugged in at Allison's website and will tell you what transmission it is and the specific options it has such as retarder, torque converter stall, etc. The overdrive ratio for the 1000 is .74.

Godspeed,
Trent

GlenCoombe 10-26-2009 06:26 AM

As great a solution as this sounds we do have to note that Skid is talking about a gas engined 454 chevy not a diesel.

cooperhawk 10-26-2009 08:35 AM

I just completed changing the rear end ratio in our 345 from 4:56 to 4:10. It had a dramatic effect on the rpm's and seems like it had little or no effect on power. It made about a ten per cent difference in the rpm's to mph.

Rebuilding the rear end was done at Zumbrota Gear in Zumbrota, Minnesota. I sent them the complete driver axle minus the wheels. The cost from them was $880.00. I also retained the old ring and pinion just in case I need it in the future. They guarantee their work for one year.

The first time I drove it I was amazed! Low gear was too low in my opinion. It seems to fly now. Love it!:)

By the way, our 1985 345 diesel has a non computerized Allison 4 spd trans. Works great.

GlenCoombe 10-26-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhawk (Post 763823)
I just completed changing the rear end ratio in our 345 from 4:56 to 4:10. It had a dramatic effect on the rpm's and seems like it had little or no effect on power. It made about a ten per cent difference in the rpm's to mph.

Rebuilding the rear end was done at Zumbrota Gear in Zumbrota, Minnesota. I sent them the complete driver axle minus the wheels. The cost from them was $880.00. I also retained the old ring and pinion just in case I need it in the future. They guarantee their work for one year.

The first time I drove it I was amazed! Low gear was too low in my opinion. It seems to fly now. Love it!:)

By the way, our 1985 345 diesel has a non computerized Allison 4 spd trans. Works great.

Coop, are you telling us that you extracted the whole drive axle and sent it to them? Why not just take the unit in? I would have thought doing it in place would have been better to shim and such. Interesting that they are offering a full warranty on your re-install.

BTW did you refill with a synthetic lube?

cooperhawk 10-26-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenCoombe (Post 763842)
Coop, are you telling us that you extracted the whole drive axle and sent it to them? Why not just take the unit in? I would have thought doing it in place would have been better to shim and such. Interesting that they are offering a full warranty on your re-install.

BTW did you refill with a synthetic lube?

They do not have a shop large enough to house a motorhome. They primarily rebuild rear ends and they do a lot of them. I have a farmer neighbor who has a large shop and we removed the axle assembly and we hauled it down in a pickup. They need the full assembly in order to shim it properly.
Yep, full warranty.
Yep, synthetic lube.

http://www.zbag.com/index.php?option...tpage&Itemid=1

cooperhawk 10-26-2009 10:04 AM

While we were at it Glenn we also replaced as needed two inner wheel bearings, two of the rotors, two calipers, two wheel seals, two brake lines, brake pads, rubber brake lines, and one u-joint.

We also went through all the other wheels and packed the bearings and replaced rotors and pads where needed.

Total parts, $1656.00

Runs like new.

Still to do this Winter, replace thermostat and flush radiator, adjust valves on engine.

The unit has about 140,000 miles on it now. Nicely broke in.

GlenCoombe 10-27-2009 01:19 PM

We can always count on Cooperhawk to do it right the first time.

It may sound like a lot of money for parts but the preventative nature of the job done is outstanding.

skid4u 04-03-2011 07:10 PM

I sold the motorhome and now have a trailer. I am tking thr 29' trailer to Costa Rica permanently and I find the 29' is too much for suburbans 5.7L, so I am pitting the engine out of my 1975 cadillac in it. 500CI (8.2L) should smatyen it up on those long hills, however, no more overdrive. I can buy a stand alone transmission controler for the 4L80E or just try the original TH400 behind it, see how the milage is?
I never found an Allison hydraulic control ONLY with overdrive, all of them are 3 speed with 1:1 final drive, however a beefed up 700R4 or an oldsmobile 22-4R is an all hydraulic transmission with overdrive, no electronics needed. Both can be beefed up if needed.
Donald

choctawmel 04-04-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skid4u (Post 973599)
I sold the motorhome and now have a trailer. I am tking thr 29' trailer to Costa Rica permanently and I find the 29' is too much for suburbans 5.7L, so I am pitting the engine out of my 1975 cadillac in it. 500CI (8.2L) should smatyen it up on those long hills, however, no more overdrive. I can buy a stand alone transmission controler for the 4L80E or just try the original TH400 behind it, see how the milage is?
I never found an Allison hydraulic control ONLY with overdrive, all of them are 3 speed with 1:1 final drive, however a beefed up 700R4 or an oldsmobile 22-4R is an all hydraulic transmission with overdrive, no electronics needed. Both can be beefed up if needed.
Donald

I had the some problem with finding a none electronic Allison overdrive (they don't make them) transmission. I couldn't find a stand alone controller for the Allison T-1000 (and I don't care for Allison, I have one burnout Allison sitting on the floor of my shop) and a 4L80e in Silver Bullet. I just got to get the right converter to make it work right now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.