Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sinks, Showers & Toilets (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/)
-   -   Paint peeling in sink. (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/paint-peeling-in-sink-56997.html)

Robbie R. 10-01-2009 06:08 PM

Paint peeling in sink.

Just got this 2000 excella and noticed a few small chips in the painted white sink. Any ideas how to fix this ?

I don't think this sink is enamel.

Is there a paint I can use to repaint it ?

Robbie R.

pbearsailor 10-01-2009 06:18 PM

Maybe this: POR-15 Whitecote 2-Part Paint (One Pint)

Haven't used it, but their rust coating I've used on the frame and it's fantastic.

cheers,
steve :)

Robbie R. 10-01-2009 06:29 PM

Thank you. That could be a solution. :D

Robbie R.

Airslide 01-02-2010 09:46 PM

My sink is peeling too. I thought about painting it or removing it and having it done..
I just decided to purchase a new stainless steel sink and be done with it. I do like the white but the stainless will be more durable and with the sink covers over it when not in use its fine for us. It was a little tricky to remove it as there are retainers on the underside and the sink is bonded to the underside of the corian counters with silicone. It was a very slow process removing it. Pictures when finished.

Vinnie

Robbie R. 01-03-2010 09:26 AM

Thanks for posting this. I would love to see pics when your done.

Robbie R.

Cracker 01-03-2010 03:44 PM

They must have had a bad batch of sinks around 2000 since my 2000 30' Excella has the same problem. I would also appreciate a "show and tell" on just how easy/hard it is to replace the sink with a stainless one. For now, I place a rubber protector in the bottom of the sink to hide the missing paint.

DaveFL 01-03-2010 04:25 PM

Mine looked like a chip out from dropping something, a dab of 5200 was a good temp fix, was in a place that a plastic sink protector now covers it.

Airslide 01-03-2010 04:32 PM

Look familiar??

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I dont have the sink installed yet (pictures to follow) but I did remove the old one and took a few shots showing how its attached. I was very careful removing it as you have to pry carefully from underneath and cut away the silicone as you put more downward pressure on the sink. I was afraid I was going to break the corian counter top. But just be patient and it comes lose.

Dwight 01-03-2010 04:36 PM

Does your S/S sink fit the existing hole or will you have to alter it? I would be interested in the brand and model number of your new sink.

I have the same sink with a small chip and have thought about have one of those companies that redos your bath tubs with epoxy.

Airslide 01-03-2010 04:58 PM

The sink is an RV size of 27" x 16" x 6" deep. I havent recieved it yet but should be a perfect fit without any modifications.

Vinnie

Cracker 01-04-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airslide (Post 789247)
The sink is an RV size of 27" x 16" x 6" deep. I havent recieved it yet but should be a perfect fit without any modifications.

Vinnie

Vinnie:

Once you get the sink and check for an exact match please let the rest of us know where you bought it. Also, since this problem seems to occur in a limited number of model years, did you inquire at the mothership to see if they could offer a replacement that didn't have the "peeling" problem?

Dwight 01-04-2010 05:17 PM

The hole in my counter measures 31-1/4" x 17-1/4". So far I haven't been able to find an under-counter sink that fits without some extra cutting. Are most of you going back with top-mounting sinks?

Airslide 01-13-2010 08:28 PM

The sink has arrived

2 Attachment(s)
I installed the sink tonight. It was an exact fit from the sink I pulled out. There was no modification necessary. One problem that I didnt realize.. The drains are only 2" vs the larger ones in the airstream. My wife didnt care so Im good! :angel:

Here is the link.. NEW HOME RV STAINLESS STEEL 27 x 16" KITCHEN SINK:eBay Motors (item 370282493079 end time Jan-27-10 13:06:31 PST)

This is a current listing and exact sink I bought. The price is right and it seems sturdier than the one i removed.

Robbie R. 01-14-2010 06:56 AM

Super looking job !

I may measure mine to see if one of the others will fit it.

Robbie R.

Airslide 01-14-2010 07:56 AM

Thanks Robbie,

Didnt mean to steal your thread... the job wasnt too bad. I still have to get the correct drains for it but I think that can easily be found at home depot or somewhere like that.

Vinnie

adonh 01-14-2010 08:36 AM

Great looking SS sink, looks like what should have been there from the beginning. Why would A/S put in a "painted" sink rather than the white corian style sink to begin with.

Don

StreamNTyme 01-14-2010 08:48 AM

HI Robbie,

We had the same problem with our sink peeling..my husband pealed the rest of the paint off and it was a very nice stainless sink. It cleaned up nicely.:) I have no idea why they painted the sinks but it looked much nicer after the paint was removed. He had it done in a very short time.

Kate

Airslide 01-14-2010 09:41 PM

I too thought about peeling off the paint the rest of the way. I figured I would have to remove it to get it all off so I shopped around and found out the sink is not very expensive and went that route. I dont mind having the stainless look vs the white. Im not sure why they went with the white.. maybe just to make it more elegant..

Vinnie