Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (http://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   Proper Fluid (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/proper-fluid-56050.html)

gunner 09-05-2009 07:18 AM

Proper Fluid

On my 1984 Classic Motorhome there is a canister that looks similiar to a power steering fluid canister it is located beside the windshield washer canister. There is nothing in my manuals or on the cap of this canister advising of the proper fluid to use. Can someone advise me what I should be using, the canister is empty at this time. The Engine is 454 Chevy.

Area63 09-05-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunner (Post 744067)
On my 1984 Classic Motorhome there is a canister that looks similiar to a power steering fluid canister it is located beside the windshield washer canister. There is nothing in my manuals or on the cap of this canister advising of the proper fluid to use. Can someone advise me what I should be using, the canister is empty at this time. The Engine is 454 Chevy.

There should be a hose coming off the canister. where does it go?

345bill 09-05-2009 01:53 PM

gunner- On our 1990 345LE there is a canister located exactly where you are explaining on yours. On ours it is for power steering fluid. I was told by the local AS dealer to use the "clear" PS fluid, sold everywhere.

There is a dipstick attached to the cap that has full & add lines, on mine.

I should also mention that my canister was also empty when I asked the dealer so we were unable to see if it previously had red or clear in it. I ended up adding clear fluid and recently went on a 4700+ mile trip without any problems.

elbundi 09-05-2009 02:15 PM

sounds like power steering canister, you can also put transmission fluid in there if you're in a bind

Chuckles 09-07-2009 11:22 AM

That is the power steering resevoir that also feeds the Hydro-Boost brake system. DO NOT put brake fluid in it; but the approved PS fluid compatible with the Hydro-Boost.
The hydro-Boost is found at the base of the brake pedal infront of the Master brake cylinder, behind the metal sheild in the chassis rail by the drivers side front wheel. The resevoir on top of this unit is where you put the brake fluid.

Hope this helps.

gunner 09-07-2009 12:12 PM

I filled it up to the cold mark on the dipstick with GM approved power steering fluid. Will be taking it out tomorrow for a week's vacation. My concern is if the power steering pump is leaking and if so how much. I don't want to have to tear into it on the road. If the power steering pump gets low on fluid I realize I will have difficulty with moving the steering wheel but how does it affect the brakes?

guy99 09-07-2009 01:44 PM

The hydro boost system uses hydraulic fluid pressure for steering assist AND brake assist. There is no vacuum booster for the brakes.

Based on experience, it is no fun to steer and/or stop without hydraulic pressure (for example when you engine shuts down while headed down hill on a shoulder-less Mexican highway.

OTOH, I don't anything short of engine shut down or a blown hose would leave you without pressure if you top up the fluid reservoir every stop.

GlenCoombe 09-07-2009 06:35 PM

Fillerup' and then check everywhere along the front end prior to your road test. The check again upon returning. Don't forget to exercise the steering and brakes well on your road test.

345bill 09-08-2009 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=gunner;744813] My concern is if the power steering pump is leaking and if so how much.

When I noticed mine needed fluid I had the same concern and after filling canister, and checking level at every gas stop, I'm still stumped on why it was low in the first place because I haven't had to add any lately. No visible signs of leaks.

Have to admit, the first year after I purchased MH, I didn't realize what that canister was for and never checked fluid, but now that I know better I watch it regularley. Hope it works out the same for you, knock on wood.

gunner 09-09-2009 06:07 AM

Drove it to my vacation spot 150 miles with no sign of loosing any fluid. It is still at the same mark on the dipstick. So far so good.